Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are chicken bouillon cubes okay if I can't find Kosher chicken broth?

I eat a strictly Kosher/Halal diet and cannot find any chicken broths that are Kosher available in stores near me, or even online (minus the hefty bulk only + shipping prices). I'm thinking of just going with either the Maggi or Knorr bouillon cubes easily available to me and adding 1 cube per 2-3 cups of boiling Water to use in place of the broth directly or in recipes. This would additionally be ideal for when I go to actually have the procedure in Mexico, as I won't be able to have any of the hospital/hotel provided varieties for the same reasons. So I can just take a pack of cubes and use the microwave.

And just in case anyone's wondering, homemade is simply not an option for me as I need something far more convenient. I need to be able to pull off the shelf, warm/boil and sip at throughout the day. Convenience is a necessity when your chasing around after a toddler boy and an 8 month old crawl-o-matic! I won't be able to keep up with boiling/cooking stock as continuously as I'd need to as I don't tend to eat frozen stock because it tastes strange after the freezer. I have a HUGE tupperware box sitting in the freezer that I won't throw away cause it took a whole chicken to make lol, and lots of work and time.......but the freezer taste is in it so I won't use it LOL.

I used them with no problem.

The cubes don't add the nutrition that the "real" broth has, but honestly, it's such a short time and you'll be taking a Vitamin anyway so I don't see the harm if there is no alternative....though, I will tell you.. I had the same doctor as you (they're AWESOME by the way) and when I was discharged, he was very clear that I should use REAL chicken stock and not the cubes...Dr's cabrera/valenzuela keep you on Clear liquids for a full week after surgery.

One thing.. I know you mentioned that making your own is not an option... but you CAN make in one huge batch and then cook it down and freeze the stock into cubes then transfer to a ziploc freezer bag. You can make ONCE and then enjoy homemade stock cubes for WEEKS.. just pop one out add Water and microwave!

Good luck with your surgery.

OK, well if you don't want the frozen stock, then I think it's worth the trip down to Dearborn to get yourself some broth... seriously, broth saved me in those early days when I was sick of all the sweet drinks, and Maggi cubes are "ok"... but the broth is so much nicer!... And pick up some halal Gelatin if you don't already have some.... just steer clear of Shatilla's bakery!

OK, well if you don't want the frozen stock, then I think it's worth the trip down to Dearborn to get yourself some broth... seriously, broth saved me in those early days when I was sick of all the sweet drinks, and Maggi cubes are "ok"... but the broth is so much nicer!... And pick up some halal Gelatin if you don't already have some.... just steer clear of Shatilla's bakery!

Yeah, I shop in dearborn for most of my meat needs. Where in dearborn do they sell halal broth? I've looked all over for the Saffron Road variety....or any halal kind at that lol. Do you know the name of the store and the brand I should be looking for? Thanks so much!

Whole Foods sells a vegetarian broth in a cardboard box/can, found with the liquid Soups. I think the brand was Pacific. Their veggie broth is Kosher, too. Unfortunately, it tastes too vegetable-y to use as a straight substitute for chicken broth. For some recipes it would be great, for others too strong. So you can try a box and see. I've used it in other recipes and cut it with Water if it is too strong.

I'm sorry but for the clear liquid stage the only comfort/sustenance you get comes from broth

(Or stock John :))

And if you can't do homemade? I would find someone that you can and buy beg or steal it from :P

I did homemade.. It's really easy then you can shred and feed the chicken to the family.

Whole Foods sells a vegetarian broth in a cardboard box/can, found with the liquid Soups. I think the brand was Pacific. Their veggie broth is kosher, too. Unfortunately, it tastes too vegetable-y to use as a straight substitute for chicken broth. For some recipes it would be great, for others too strong. So you can try a box and see. I've used it in other recipes and cut it with Water if it is too strong.

Eww lol. I can't handle vegetable broth. Not my cup of tea by far honestly. It has to be chicken lol.

I'm sorry but for the clear liquid stage the only comfort/sustenance you get comes from broth

(Or stock John :))

And if you can't do homemade? I would find someone that you can and buy beg or steal it from :P

I did homemade..

Thats great and all. And I've been doing homemade weekly for over a year now and honestly majority of it always goes to waste because of the taste (after the freezer). But my main concern is having something I can take with me to TJ for after the procedure. I definitely want something high in Protein and low in calories/carbs of course, but I'm running out of options. Taking homemade non-frozen (or even frozen lol....it's gonna melt haha) broth isn't a good idea to say the least.

Whole Foods sells a vegetarian broth in a cardboard box/can, found with the liquid Soups. I think the brand was Pacific. Their veggie broth is kosher, too. Unfortunately, it tastes too vegetable-y to use as a straight substitute for chicken broth. For some recipes it would be great, for others too strong. So you can try a box and see. I've used it in other recipes and cut it with Water if it is too strong.

Wholefoods has an organic chicken broth that's kosher too.

Wholefoods has an organic chicken broth that's Kosher too.

Will definitely have to go look for that. Do you know where in DB they sell the broth you mentioned? I wouldn't mind a trip down there (it's not even a 10 minute drive for me honestly) if I can find it there.

Do you know the brand name for the kosher one? I will ask when I get there, but just in case they don't know what I'm talking about (happens enough at whole foods lol), I thought I'd at least have that info on hand.

Will definitely have to go look for that. Do you know where in DB they sell the broth you mentioned? I wouldn't mind a trip down there (it's not even a 10 minute drive for me honestly) if I can find it there.

Do you know the brand name for the kosher one? I will ask when I get there, but just in case they don't know what I'm talking about (happens enough at whole foods lol), I thought I'd at least have that info on hand.

It's the Pacific Natural foods brand.. They might have more kinds, but the last time I was in WF, they had the pacific natural chicken broth and it is Kosher.

As far as where specifically to get broth, I have NO idea.. I just figured dearborn has tons of halal options!

oh ok. Gotcha! ;) Yeah, I could always order some chicken soup/broth and strain out the noodles or something if it came down to it. Thanks. :D

I'll have to look into that pacific natural though! Thanks a bunch!

Look for chicken BASE. It's tastier and I found my favorite brand in Kosher.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00474L2TI

Super duper THANKS! LOL. Just submitted my order at soupsonline.com for one jar to test the stuff out. About 14$ with the shipping, but if it tastes good and has 10 calories per 8oz serving and half the amount of salt that the cubes have (and quite a few of the broths/stocks out there too) like it says...it's totally worth it! :D