Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Quality Carbs" definition and examples please

Can one of the exercise gurus please define "quality carbs" and give some examples?

Where exactly do carbs from fruits factor in, in the post sleeve diet?

I'm seeing the term quality carbs in the discussions of resetting metabolism but also for just a general eating plan post surgery, what makes a carb "quality"?

Thanks!

i'm no fitness guru, but i would think that a quality carb would be one in which the food provides other important nutrition, such as whole grains. Maybe i'm wrong though, i would also like to know what others have to say on this topic.

For me, it means low fat or fat free dairy, fruits and starchy veggies (in moderation), non-starchy vegetables, and whole grains. If I eat more processed grains, such as white bread or rice or egg Pasta, it just doesn't keep me full like the whole grain versions do.

Lynda

For me it means full-fat dairy, non-starchy vegetables and low glycemic fruits and berries... also perhaps a small amount of legumes and starchy vegetables.

I don't consider Cereal grains, whole grain or not to be quality carbs.. just too many carbohydrates and not enough micronutrients.. and the nutrients that they DO offer, can very easily be had from a less carb dense source.

This is just my PERSONAL view.. You'll probably get many different answers and I doubt any of them will be wrong.

"Good" carbs were defined by my nutritionist as things that are high-Fiber and not highly processed. Beans, vegetables, whole grains--with the bran and the germ left intact--unprocessed/unsugared fruits, milk; these are preferable carbohydrates.

"Bad" carbs are easier to quantify. Is it processed? (Ex: white flour, white rice) Does it have added sugars? (Ex: Check out the label on a loaf of Wonder bread. Sugar is the second ingredient after processed flour.)

Be cautious of foods where an added sugar, like high fructose corn Syrup, is in the first three ingredients listed on the label.

Another generic rule of thumb for plain old healthy eating that i learned many moons ago (but didn't always follow, of course) is to count how many layers of packaging are between you and your food. It's not a hard-and-fast rule, but the foods which are least processed are also closest to their naturally farmed/fished state when you eat them.

Thanks for weighing in!

For me it means full-fat dairy, non-starchy vegetables and low glycemic fruits and berries... also perhaps a small amount of legumes and starchy vegetables.

I don't consider Cereal grains, whole grain or not to be quality carbs.. just too many carbohydrates and not enough micronutrients.. and the nutrients that they DO offer, can very easily be had from a less carb dense source.

This is just my PERSONAL view.. You'll probably get many different answers and I doubt any of them will be wrong.

^^ This.

As for low glycemic fruit consider an apple instead of a banana. This is a simple example, but very effective. A banana will cause a surge in insulin which causes undesirable fluctuations in hormones and energy levels. I found this out today after thinking that eating banana and almond nut butter was a well balanced snack for before working out. I lost a fair amount of energy during my cross fit WOD after eating two bananas a day with nut butter for the last couple weeks. Instead, I need to switch to 1/2 apple with almond nut butter and a cheese stick or a chicken skewer on the side. The apple has a lot of Fiber and with the nut butter and chicken is a good set of macronutrient ratios that the body will understand how to convert into long lasting energy. This is just a simple example. Hope it helps.

a crisp green apple cut into 1/8th pieces and 2 tbs of almond butter.........a snack made in heaven! That and coconut cream! (shredded unsweetened coconut attacked by my ninja blender) mmmmmm.

Thanks Fiddleman, I was hoping you'd pop in. Can you list some of your favorite quality carbs for those of us just learning please?

Thanks Fiddleman' date=' I was hoping you'd pop in. Can you list some of your favorite quality carbs for those of us just learning please?[/quote']

My favorite quality carbs are bananas, apples, almonds, leafy green vegetables and different type of energy squares from nuts.com. Kind of a short list, but I do not really eat any starchy vegetables or bread foods. Definitely stay away from sugary foods and try to make low carb choices most of the time. Try and limit the bananas as I discussed above. It is best to eat low glycemic food in order to limit bursts if the blood sugar levels. A handful of raw almonds is probably the best low carb, low glycemic energy food you can eat win 1/4 cup containing only 4 carbs.