Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerns about getting the Sleeve

Hello to all,

I am brand new to the WLS world and after reading some post, I find my self second guessing if I should continue on with my weight loss surgery. I have 4 months of observation by a Nut and already did my psych test. June 26th is my 3rd appt with my nut and the closer I get to finishing my requirements I am afraid. I feel as if I will fail. I have no idea on what Vitamins I will need to take, what other pills I may need to be on. I've seen YouTube videos on the post op patients and find it crazy weird on how little they consume of liquids. When will I feel normal after surgery? Any advise will be greatly appreciated....

Hello and welcome......I second guessed it as well during the 4 months of required appts and such, but I realized that I didn't want to keep gaining weight and I wanted to get back to being healthy again. I think we are all afraid of failure since we've failed at so many diets throughout our life. This surgery is the first step to better health and weight loss for sure, but we have to continue to take care of ourselves forever with what we eat and get exercise in, it's a life style change. Each surgeon and nutritionist have different plans. I take a Multivitamin and Calcium citrate supplements and B12, but my surgeon says since it's the sleeve I won't be taking these forever it's just due to the 'less' amt of calories I am getting during weight loss. And actually it can't hurt anyway to take a Multivitamin and Calcium with the maintenance phase forever. I didn't need Iron supplements. Since sleeve patients have normal absorption it's not necessary to forever be on supplements as with your Roux-en-Y patients. But, again check with your surgeon and nutritionist. I'm only giving you the advice that my surgeon's office tells me.

Of course at the beginning after surgery I only consumed maybe 200-400 calories a day, but that eventually gets more and more. I'm now at 9 months post op and consume anywhere from 800-1000 calories on any given day. My surgeon says that at a year out I should be right around 1200 calories a day. I go to the gym 5 days a week with 50 min of cardio each day and then add 3 days of strength training as well, gym days I eat more but then again I'm making up for the deficit of what I'm burning, but still those days total minus the calories burned is only around 800-1000.

I hope this helps some? Best of luck with your decision and with your journey, I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you.

Karen

Thank you for your words of personal advise and experience. I will ask my nutritionist about what pills I will need to be on and for how long. :)

If you have any doubts (outside of the usual nerves and excitement of surgery) - I would hold off until you are absolutely sure this is for you.

This is not an easy process and you need to start from a strong place to help cope with the rapid weight-loss, surges of energy, hours of new clothes shopping, fending off members of the opposite (and same) sex, enjoying the gym, vacationing, and photobombing all your friends pics.

I'm 3 weeks post op today and I don't regret this one bit! As far as Vitamins, I'm on a daily Multi-Vitamin, along with B12, since I'm lacking that. My food intake has increased. I was cleared to start eating meat and anything soft. No Pasta or breads though, too many carbs. I'm only allowed to walk still and should be cleared to do more at my next post op visit. I was really worried about getting in my 60-80 grams of Protein a day, but my surgeon said it will come with time. The biggest concern is keeping yourself hydrated. The only thing I can really tolerate is Water and Isopure. I've also started adding sugar free drink mixes as well, just to have some flavor! I bought turkey burgers and I made 8 out of 4. Instead of a whole one, you can have sliders! No Buns :) It fills me up. It's hard to believe the amount of food that makes you full. My first week was all liquids, then I slowly started to have some mashed potatoes and refried Beans. A spoonful filled me up! Just remember, it's all worth it in the end. I wish my insurance would have paid for this sooner! Oh and one other thing, DO NOT under any circumstance, weigh yourself after surgery...I did and was upset. I gained 10 lbs from all the fluids, gas, etc. It will fall off, I promise. With that being said, a loss is a loss. There will be stalls, but stay strong and remember you have this site for support. Good luck!!

I put off this surgery for 2yrs. I honestly am ready to go through with it but, started to freak out when I would read post on how little their food intake was. I read one girls post about how she felt upset about getting the surgery. But yes, every one is different and will not all have the same problems. For some reason I was thinking I was going to be on a liquid/purée diet for ever. I am so glad that I found this app and able to talk and meet such inspirational people and advisors. I feel this is and will be my most go to tool to help me along my weight loss journey.

I am 5 mo out & the only issue I have had is dizziness sometime...but I have a tendency to have low BP when I loose weight. I can eat anything, just smaller amounts. I am a "slow" loser...prob because my age & the years of dieting has screwed up my metabolism...but I AM loosing! This is the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Consider the Big Book of the Gastric Sleeve (It's on this webpage, it has a LOT of information about EVERYTHING sleeve related.

If you can find a support group in your area for WLS patients, I suggest you attend several times BEFORE you decide on surgery. My surgeon requires everyone to attend these meetings at least twice before surgery. It was SO eye opening - a great dose of realism. I was totally impressed with the weight people had lost, and how great they felt! However, I also got a real picture of life on the other side, in terms of side-effects and the mental and emotional aspects of it. It did not discourage me, as every one of those who had had the surgery said they'd do it again in a heartbeat. BUT it was also a good reality check that this is NOT the easy way out - it requires work and there are some not-so-fun parts of this. I was sleeved March 18th, and I now see this as one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am 43 pounds down and am now feeling great! But in the beginning, I suffered with bouts of depression and frustration (like a lot of people!). At 2+ months out, I finally feel like I am getting into the groove of things. I finally feel like I am not jealous of my family when they eat pizza and doughnuts - I am happy with my few bites of Protein at this point. Anyway, try to find a live support group meeting in your area - for those of us in my area, I feel this is a really critical piece of our success.

I put off this surgery for 2yrs. I honestly am ready to go through with it but, started to freak out when I would read post on how little their food intake was. I read one girls post about how she felt upset about getting the surgery. But yes, every one is different and will not all have the same problems. For some reason I was thinking I was going to be on a liquid/purée diet for ever. I am so glad that I found this app and able to talk and meet such inspirational people and advisors. I feel this is and will be my most go to tool to help me along my weight loss journey.

If you've thought about this for 2 years, you'll be just fine!

I wouldn't trade my toughest day post VSG surgery for my "best" day in my former life.

You'll get there, and there are MANY people to help you throughout the journey!

This is not an easy process and you need to start from a strong place to help cope with the rapid weight-loss' date=' surges of energy, hours of new clothes shopping, fending off members of the opposite (and same) sex, enjoying the gym, vacationing, and photobombing all your friends pics.[/quote']

Haha Kirk my surgery is tomorrow and reading this part made me laugh and excited and helped calm a couple nerves. :)

If you have any doubts (outside of the usual nerves and excitement of surgery) - I would hold off until you are absolutely sure this is for you.

This is not an easy process and you need to start from a strong place to help cope with the rapid weight-loss, surges of energy, hours of new clothes shopping, fending off members of the opposite (and same) sex, enjoying the gym, vacationing, and photobombing all your friends pics.

Thank you, this was much needed today! ;)

Haha Kirk my surgery is tomorrow and reading this part made me laugh and excited and helped calm a couple nerves. :)

OMG, so excited for you!

Please be sure to take lots of pics, especially of the flattering gown, bed-head, drool, etc. I especially like pain-killer induced updates and observations, so please come online or post something!

Everything that you thought was normal...you will now consider The New Normal.