Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't hate my band, but ...

I was banded in 07, Iv lost 70 lbs and kept it off, at times it has been more as Iv been down to 139 as an all time low. Iv had my share of dilated pouches (the correct term for what some call a slip) and lots of sleepless nights unable to lay flat and heart burn and enough of that miserable stuck feeling to last a lifetime !! I eat mostly junk and don't drink near enough fluids which has resulted in kidney stones and dry broken hair and I'm scared to death of pills but I don't hate my band, it's given me almost 6 yrs of successful weight loss but I feel that it's time for a change as the issues that Iv mentioned are not something I want to continue to deal with for another 6 years and I know I'm not as healthy as I can and should be but I also know I most likely can't do it on my own. Can anyone else relate ?

I cant but a friend of mine was going through the same thing she has now decided to do a revision and do the sleeve she has gained 30 pounds of her weight back.

I had my revision on Sept 10/2012 and as per the other posters "friend", certainly did NOT gain any weight. I reached my goal weight, actually exceeded it by 9 pounds and have been extremely successful. I wouldn't hesitate to have the surgery I would do it again 1000% times over.

I've been banded for almost 4 yrs. I lost 104 lbs in the first 2 yrs. After a slight slip and a partial unfill a yr ago, I gained back about 15 lbs. Then, about 6 weeks ago, I had a herniation and a total unfill. Gained another 15 lbs. So here I am, awaiting revision surgery at 177 lbs (got down to 144 on my wedding day in Dec 2011).

So, yes, I relate. I have a bad band in me but I don't hate my band. In fact, until it started causing me much pain about 6 weeks ago, I loved my band. I attribute it to all my loss. I still love my band. I'm going to be sorry it's gone (not really, it'll be kinda nice not getting stuck and vomiting anymore)

Good luck to you!

Thank you for sharing !! Best of luck to all of you :)

Yes I can relate. I too was successful with the lapband. I was successful at getting skinny.. AND NOTHING ELSE! My health was so bad I was starving to death. My eating habits was ice cream and shakes. I vomited black blood several times a day and at times vomited just from swallowing too much saliva, my esphogus was chronically inflamed, and I had mass bleeding ulcers.. But dammit.. I was skinny!

I had weekly infusions and a permanent chest port (still have) because my veins are no longer accessible. I had monthly blood transfusions.. But you know what? I never hated my band. I was so frantic when the doc said they had to remove it they had to sedate me. But I was successful at getting skinny. I had a psychological attachment with my band.

This time is different. My first goal is health and getting thinner is just a bonus

I can totally relate and was banded in August 2008. I lost 42 kgs (sorry am in Australia) and loved my life. Truthfully it was as a result of being physically able to eat very little food and my nutrition would have been very bad I am sure. My B12 was almost non-existent at one stage and I had ongoing injections to counteract this. I loved my band and was definitely skinny until last December when I started to get reflux (despite not having had a fill for over 12 months) and I just had a general feeling that something was wrong. Tests revealed nothing but I had a total unfill and began to gain weight until I got to a point that the surgeon would consider a revision. I have had my band removed and it turned out it was adhered to my liver so my gut feeling something was wrong turned out to be correct. I am now awaiting 9th July when I will be sleeved and cant wait. I loved the band while it worked but it realistically isn't a healthy lifestyle longterm and the amount of issues people are experiencing far outweighed the expectation that it was a great minimally invasive weightloss solution!!! Good luck!!!

Thanks for sharing !! I just feel like a good thing went bad but I'm optimistic for improving the future :)

Had my revision on May 6th and very happy about it. I lost 45 pounds in 16 months with the band and my diabetes went into remission but my quality of life had greatly suffered. It hurt to eat anything, was constantly throwing up and had heart burn and reflux. My doctor said the longer the band is in the more it damages the stomach thank god my wasnt in to long and my stomach was ok. My body is happier without the foreign material in it and I feel like a new person. I did not eat much with the band so I think the post op diet has been quite easy for me. I am now on soft foods because my doctor is more lenient with his post op diet than some others and I can eat soft as tolerated after 15 days. I have had no problems and can't feel every bite like i did with the band. I think I will actually eat better with the sleeve because my options will be much more available once I am healed. Best of luck!