Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys!

Had my second apt with my doctor and had a long talk went over my labs but my question to you all is why did you guys choose the sleeve vs the gastric bypass? Some feed back would be awesome!

I chose the sleeve because it seemed less drastic then bypass. Yes, I know that makes no since sice they remove a majority of you stomach, but my mother has bypass and I see how she is. She throws up all the time and I wanted something that would make me lose, but would let me still be open to be able to live life regularly. I can honestly say that I am glad I chose the sleeve. I have never once thrown up. If you listen to you body and stop eating when you're satisfied, you'll be good. I still go out to eat with friends. I actually did last night. Went to buffalo wild wings with friends. I had the naked tenders with sauce on the side. Sure, I ate just one, but it was yummy and now I have lunch for several days. Good luck with your decision. Choose what is best for you!

That's kinda where I'm leaning toward! Thanks for your input. I'm still young and want to have kids and afraid of absorption issues with the bypass. So still thinking.

For me, the choice was the sleeve, because I liked that it allowed the regular digestive processes to continue (you don't lose your pyloric valve) and it removes the ghrelin-generating part of your stomach completely, which helps to eliminate--or drastically reduce--hunger signals to the brain. The RNY procedure leaves the separated section of your stomach in your body.

The sleeve also has a lower tendency to cause "dumping" and that was a plus for me as well. I want to restructure my relationship with food, not change completely the way my digestive system operates. With those factors taken into account, the sleeve became my clear choice.

You should do a search I think they just had a thread about this a week ago you might find more info

Hey guys!

Had my second apt with my doctor and had a long talk went over my labs but my question to you all is why did you guys choose the sleeve vs the gastric bypass? Some feed back would be awesome!

Personally I like that they remove the part of the stomach that has what I call the craving hormones. Also because I hear the dumping syndrome is scary and wouldn't want to experience it. There are more reasons but those are my personal main reasons.

When I went to my first consultation, I didn't even know about the sleeve, but as soon as I heard about it, it was an easy decision...this oversimplifies it a bit, but in my opinion, the only thing the band has that this doesn't is that it can be "undone"...and the only thing bypass has is slightly better weight loss outcomes...but both of those come with a much longer list of potential issues. Additionally, getting to maintain the body's natural digestion while removing the majority if the hunger-inducing hormone is the sleeve's "ace in the hole". My surgeon (who, admittedly, was a slow adopter of the sleeve), now days he can only recommend the other options with reservations.

I am in the decision process too . A general search of RNY vs SG was very helpful in the process. I am going with the sleeve...