Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What has happened to Christianity?

Sunta

I love, love, love this article by the son of Jim and Tammie Faye Baker! It perfectly expresses how I feel!

Editor's note: Jay Bakker, son of former Praise The Lord leaders Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye Messner, is minister of Revolution Church and subject of a new documentary series, "One Punk Under God," on Sundance Channel. Marc Brown is a Revolution staff member.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- What the hell happened? Where did we go wrong? How was Christianity co-opted by a political party? Why are Christians supporting laws that force others to live by their standards? The answers to these questions are integral to the survival of Christianity.

While the current state of Christianity might seem normal and business-as-usual to some, most see through the judgment and hypocrisy that has permeated the church for so long. People witness this and say to themselves, "Why would I want to be a part of that?" They are turned off by Christians and eventually, to Christianity altogether. We can't even count the number of times someone has given us a weird stare or completely brushed us off when they discover we work for a church.

So when did the focus of Christianity shift from the unconditional love and acceptance preached by Christ to the hate and condemnation spewed forth by certain groups today? Some say it was during the rise of Conservative Christianity in the early 1980s with political action groups like the Moral Majority. Others say it goes way back to the 300s, when Rome's Christian Emperor Constantine initiated a set of laws limiting the rights of Roman non-Christians. Regardless of the origin, one thing is crystal clear: It's not what Jesus stood for.

His parables and lessons were focused on love and forgiveness, a message of "come as you are, not as you should be." The bulk of his time was spent preaching about helping the poor and those who are unable to help themselves. At the very least, Christians should be counted on to lend a helping hand to the poor and others in need.

This brings us to the big issues of American Christianity: Abortion and gay marriage. These two highly debatable topics will not be going away anytime soon. Obviously, the discussion centers around whether they are right or wrong, but is the screaming really necessary? After years of witnessing the dark side of religion, Marc and I think not.

Christians should be able to look past their differences and agree to disagree. This allows people to discuss issues with respect for one another. Christians are called to love others just as they are, without an agenda. Only then will Christianity see a return to its roots: Loving God with all of your heart and loving your neighbor as yourself.

The Apostle Paul describes this idea of love beautifully in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7: "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance."

But don't take our word for it; look at what Jesus and his followers stood for in his time and what Christianity stands for today. Then come to your own conclusion.

*cough* Bull****

Is he labeling all Christians together? There are many different denominations and sects, from Catholic to Methodist to Jehovah's Witnesses to Baptist to Mormons and so on. And then some of these groups have formed their own groups. It's pretty ignorant to lump us all together. Initially, I thought he was talking only about Conservative Christians (then I would agree), but instead it sounds like he's trying to say that the Conservative Christians have tainted and convinced all the other Christians to follow them. What are we high school kids? He should know better.

hmmm interesting...my personal view it doesnt matter what denomination you are as long as you believe in jesus christ as your personal saviour and walk in his steps (as much as possible...we are all human) however, a line has to be drawn somewhere there are certain biblical standards that have to be followed there are many groups that call themselves 'christian' but their beliefs are warped and so far away from what the bible actually says...so yea...we need to agree to disagree. I would still 'love' and 'fellowship' with them as friends and/or acqauintences but as far as allowing them to speak into my life and my christian walk...I would have to put up the boundaries.

:welldone2: Becky

I got the impression he was talking about Conservative Christians.

Maybe, I'm interpreting the article wrong. If he is talking about conservative christians I completely agree.

I'll still check out his show to see what he's talking about.

:clap2:

He's right-absolutely. There are certain circles in which I am truly embarrassed to say I am a Christian. Not because of shame about Jesus but because of how certain people (those who scream at the top of their lungs what great Christians they are) tend to act.

My church really caters to people who left the church or who were hurt by Christians or other churches and I'll tell you, it is huge and growing. Most of us wouldn't even go to church if we hadn't found a place like this where we feel accepted, not judged.

I hope this article gets around more. Thanks for posting.

I watched a couple of episodes of Jay Bakker's TV show on cable recently. He is talking about the Christian right political movement. Some people take Christianity to an extreme as shown in the documentary "Jesus Camp" where children are taught in Madrasah type surroundings and the women who runs the camp trains them to fight.

Then there are some Christians like this group who make it difficult to say, "I am a Christian" even though I am. I am a Liberal Christian who goes to a church who's name starts off with the word "Liberal". We are the opposite of the (un)Christian (never)Right political Movement.

The Prince of Peace has not changed, nor will He ever change. It is our society that has changed, just as He said it would.

Wow Letha, how true, Who was, Who is, and Who is to come. Marinantha!

We are called to love our neighbor. I live my life with treating others the way I want to be treated, loving and not judging, lest I be judged. The whole bible hinges on love. If there is no love, they are just clanging cymbals and noisy gongs.