Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you opt lapband instead of RNY

I'm just curious as to the reasons people chose one surgery over the other. My BMI is under 40, so I'm not even sure I will get approved, but I'm trying to compare the 2 surgeries.

Also, does anyone know where long term statistics on lap band and RNY can be found?

Thanks, Ann

Not sure of the long term stats. I basically had the lapband because it is far less invasive. Bypass is a major surgery. I also heard that with bypass there is a "dumping" syndrom that can happen. You aren't allowed sugar of any sort and no alcohol. That was a huge factor for me. I didn't want to give it up. Good luck in your decision.

i chose the lapband because of the lower risk of complications, the fact the people don't die from it, that was a plus.

The recovery time is amazing. It's cheaper, reversable if there happens to be a complication.

If there is a complication I can always be rebanded.

The success rates are about the same long term. the weight is slower to come off, but that just means less skin to pay to have removed later.

My sis in law had gastric bypass and she has lost 130 lbs or more in less than a yr but now she has started over eating and gaining weight because unlike lapband bypass patients do not usually check in with their docs as much

she has no one to answer to

so she don't care

also I like the fact my insides stay basically the same

It seems to me that the best choice for each of us is clearly revealed if we really examine our own situation. The two surgeries work VERY differently in our bodies, and each addresses different needs.

Basically, if you eat too much and think all you need is help in controlling your portions, have patience and persistence, and want to change your behavior more than change your body, the band is probably better for you.

If, on the other hand, you feel like you can't possibly control your portions enough and want to absorb less of the food you do eat, need to lose a lot of weight right away, and are not bothered by the invasiveness of the surgery and the need for long-term nutritional supplementation, RNY may be right for you.

My personal decision was absolutely clear from moment one: I have two small children and was healthy (aside from the extra weight) and was absolutely not willing to take the risks of RNY or DS. I ate too much, too fast, and too often, but knew that the band's actions of reducing capacity and dampening hunger would create the environment I need to learn how to control my own behavior.

To my way of thinking, one size does NOT fit all and the adjustability of the band was a huge attraction. It just made better medical sense to me to try the less-invasive thing first.

I have to agree with Alexandra. The risks are too high with RNY and although the thought of losing all of the weight in a short period of time was interesting, I chose the band. I think it is much healthier, it is less invasive, there are minimal complications unlike RNY. It may take longer, but in the long run the results are the same without being sliced and diced and having my insides rearranged. The fact that this can be reversed if necessary and the adjustability made it my first and only choice.

Great points, most of your reasons were in line with what I'm thinking. I need to lose - doesn't have to be overnight, mostly need to quit gaining. My problem is that I can really put away the food. I also have children 6 & 7 years old - need to be around for them for awhile.

Sorry, I'm new to this message board stuff - I didn't realize until after I posted that I should have posted to a different thread.

Thanks for your answers.

Alexandra said it brilliantly, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Plus the bypass is pretty much not done in Australia anyhow, its mostly the lapband.

I'm just curious as to the reasons people chose one surgery over the other. My BMI is under 40, so I'm not even sure I will get approved, but I'm trying to compare the 2 surgeries.

Also, does anyone know where long term statistics on lap band and RNY can be found?

Thanks, Ann

I had several reasons... the biggest is that I needed to loose weight to get my health back... Rerouting my "innereds" and having life-long malabsorbsion (sp?) did not sound healthy to me! The recovery is a lot quicker with the lap-band, the procedure is less risky at my size, my insurance would not pay for either and the lap-band in Tijuana was far more affordable, I like the fact that if on the outside chance something goes wrong it can be removed and my plumbing would return to basically the same as before surgery, no dumping, and if I am at a nice dinner and my husband orders a piece of cheesecake I can have a small bite and not risk getting sick!

I love my band, I consider this one of the smartest decisions I have ever made! I am 7 weeks post-op, feel great and have lost 31 pounds!!:clap2:

Lap band fundamentally non life threatening and low risk. Gastric Bypass if you research well shows hi risk of death and complications plus the stomach often restretches. With lapband it has adjustment ability throughout your lifetime. :) I am low BMI as well and never would have allowed cut and pasteing of my organs.... Stick with Lap band!:clap2:

First and foremost....it was less invasive and reversible. And.....I wouldn't have to wait 2 - 3 years for a surgery date. It just fit with my expectations and situation and I vowed never to look back....its working for me just as I wanted it to.

carol