Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me with jean sizing please

If you do a search through VST topics you will find some old threads where we really got into the fascinating/revolting world of "vanity sizing" or as we like to call it, "your pants are lying to you". As Americas girth increases so does our desire to be lied to - there was an article in the new york times maybe 2+ years ago where a reporter went to a dozen different stores, from chi-chi boutiques to big warehouse places and got a plain pair of cotton khakis in the same size from each store. There was wild discrepancy between the actual sizes with the biggest lies coming from the cheaper stores, so a men's 34 (the reporter was a man BTW) at Old Navy when taken home and actually measured, was more like a 37!!

People make a big deal about the fact that at her heaviest, Marilyn Monroe was a 12, but, that was a 1950's 12, which means today at her heaviest she probably would have been an 8, max. My Mother is fond of telling me that the day she found out she was pregnant with me she weighed 118 pounds, but she has also told me that she was never smaller than a size 8. I doubt that a 5'4" woman weighing 118 pounds today would be in an 8 - more like a 2!

So, my point is, it's all bullshi+, and anyway, the really really good clothes are the ones that are custom made for you anyway, whether by haute couture or Grandma ;)

And don't even get me started with the new European jean sizing' date=' I mean sheesh! The last thing I want is to wear a size 30! Lol[/quote']

Premium denim is like this too...I wear between a 28-30 in premium denim brands like citizen,miss me,big star and true religion....in regular jeans like Gap or American Eagle I am 8/10 depending on cut I have thicker hips and butt so certain things for tighter.

Don't laugh.... I thought the W meant "wide".. I always got this size because of my big ol' booty and they seemed to fit better.

Oh man, can I laugh just a tiny bit? I had never thought of "wide" sizing.

Oh man' date=' can I laugh just a tiny bit? I had never thought of "wide" sizing.[/quote']

Well it does mean wide when we are talking shoes :) and it even makes sense for clothing because they are a little wider in the hip area.

LOL! Ok go on laugh... I can take it

Just in case anyone is interested, there are a lot of options online for custom made jeans and they aren't any more expensive than a pair bought in the store. You can have them made to your exact measurements.

@globetrotter

I'm interested!

Laura- I'm too scared to I jeans hopping still. It's aways been such a huge emotional thing for me that I'm waitin until I'm fairly certain ill be pleasantly surprised.

Globe, me too!

$329 for 1 pair of jeans is a little steep for me. I could by 2 pairs of a premium denim brand that fit really well for that price :)

Laura- I'm too scared to I jeans hopping still. It's aways been such a huge emotional thing for me that I'm waitin until I'm fairly certain ill be pleasantly surprised.

Globe' date=' me too![/quote']

There you are girly!

I have jeans and a lot of capris 18 juniors and down to 14 would you like them?

I would like to send them to you if it's ok?

Globe' date=' me too![/quote']

I'm a pear too. Tried a pair of Alfani 14w and the fit but were a bit too loose in the thighs so I went to the Alfani missy 16 and could barely get them over my hips and had a huge gap at the waist. Everyone is right- ignore the number and go for fit. Having a seamstress take in a little bit here and there also makes a big difference and is usually only about $10 bucks.

woah over $300?!! the web advert said $49 bucks!! Yeesh ...

I have found, oddly, that juniors plus sizes fit really really well. They have no waist and skinny legs, even in the pluses so a junior 13 fits me just right.

woah over 300?!! the web advert said 49 bucks!! Yeesh ...

I have found' date=' oddly, that juniors plus sizes fit really really well. They have no waist and skinny legs, even in the pluses so a junior 13 fits me just right.[/quote']

Yes lol I went on there and was going to build a pair and I was like Whoa Globetrotter must be making a lot money in the dessert if over 300 is reasonable to her:)

I too find that junior sizes fit me better they are cut different I think but I also like a really snug fit.