Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Days After Surgry & Hurting

Scorpio, I remember the first few days after surgery, I could not lift myself out of bed or the couch. Everyone is different. I can definatly feel for you. As far as eating, I was on liquid for 2 weeks, which consisted of Protein drinks mixed with skim milk and banana that I blended in a blender and for the next 2 weeks, I had soft foods.

I remember I tried to eat a carrot after 3 or 4 days, I got so sick and I was on vacation, my hubby called an ambulance. That was first experience of PB'ing...I don't touch carrots anymore.

My suggestion is that you might want to speak to your surgeon or a dietician. You do not want to ruin the surgery/band.

I wish you well in your recovery...LYNN

:think Hey ya'll! I just had my surgery five days ago. I have gas and fulliness alot and a hard time breathing, i am coughing alot, but i move around alot, i wish to sleep on my side but it maybe to soon, Everyone saids i look better and get around go. i eat a30 ml Protein, then later 30ml Soup, lateron pudding. then the same at lunch but if i am not hungry i don't get, i drink alot of Water, alot at night while sleeping, my mouth gets dry, and i feel pregant again because my belly push up in my chest, any advice please

Paula

surgery12/11/06

five days into liquid diet

For the gas pains you should take Gas-X - I took the strips that just melt in your mouth. Dr. said I could take double what the box says if the pains were that bad...and they were...Are you using your breathing thing they shouldv'e given you at the hospita? It's very important to use that because it helps make sure you don't build up Fluid in your lungs. You shouldn't be coughing alot unless you're doing deep breathing and getting the stuff out of your chest.

Ok gang...need some advice. I had surgery yesterday and feel pretty good with the exception of the gas and the stomach pains. I know I can address the gas pains w/the gas X, but I have to fly home tomorrow and am not sure what I should do since I'll likely still be having problems standing up and sitting down. Should I request a wheelchair at the airport? I was already planning on checking my bag so I don't have to lug it around the airport, but I could also probably just walk the gate (walking is supposed to be good for me, right?) and then ask if I can preboard to get myself into a set before everyone else piles on...

Thoughts suggestions? Thanks!

Kristen...do everything you have listed in your post. I had no pain post-op but I did have some nausea from the Anaesthetic and was very happy when I made it from the clinic to the car and was able to sit down.

Even if you find after the fact that you really didn't need the wheelchair....its best to be safe than sorry. Pillows and blankets, make sure you have plenty of them once on the plane.

Carol

Thanks a million for the menu website. I left the hospital with nothing about what to eat or drink except "liquids for a the first few days and start creamed Soups Friday." Following anesthesia, I'm not really sure what he said. Thanks again. I like to be able to read instructions. Never did trust my memory.

Scorpio, you need a plan with more specific instructions. The clinic where I had my surgery has a website, you can download and print their nutrition plan for post-op.

www.tlbc.ca click on the resources tab, then click on the download menu item. Scroll down and you will see a link for "diet and nutrition plan"....click on this and it will open in acrobat and you will be able to print it.

On the same page is a link to FAQ, there is some very good info there too.

Hope this helps,

Carol

I'm a newbie here, right now going through the preliminaries before they set a surgery date. I'm just really amazed about the questions posted here. Right now I'm awaiting a phych exam appointment, lab work, and some test that I have an IV and they put you on a treadmill. I've already had my appt with nutritionist that lasted 2 hours. Didn't your nutritionist and Dr. cover any of this nutrition and menu planing stuff? Is my Dr. that picky or just that good? I'm thinking I have a really good surgeon. Everything that must be changed about my eating habits and exercise has been drilled into my head by these professionals. I'm looking forward to this chance to take this weight off, and keep it off.

I guess my comment was, wasn't any of this covered before they wheeled you into the operating room? :omg:

I'm not looking forward to the bloating either. when i had my gall bladder out it took days for all the "air" to escape my abdomen.

It sounds like this board is very helpful and encouraging. Thanks for all the great advice as I've been reading posts for the past couple of days. It's nice to have someone on your side and know what to expect before it happens.

Good Luck!

I did talk with the nutriionist but I get hungry and will try and eat those things I have been very bad but I will start again right now sticking to my liquids. I hate I am having a hard time, because I really need to lose weight.

Thanks for the Advice Carol!! I actually didn't use a wheelchair...since I figured I need the walking anyways to work the rest of the gas out ;-) I did however, ask to pre-board the plain so I could have some extra time to get myself seated (that was the hardest part!).

So now I'm home safe and sound and just waiting for the pain at the port site to go away! :)

Gosh! This is absolutely the best site. I didn't know that the breathing thing they give you at the hospital was for the prevention of Fluid build up in the lungs! This is my second time around with the band. The first time it slipped after being in a year. I had my first surgery in MX. Dec. 8, I had my second surgery in Oxford, MS. I left the hospital with no written instructions. This site continues to amaze me with facts! Thanks guys!

Hi Kirsten, I have a question. Did they give you any pain medication? Did this come up at all in your discussions? I'm wondering if I should bring it up.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

Yes, he gave me 3 prescriptions to get filled prior to the surgery 1) Antibiotic to prevent any infections, 2) a suppository to use if you feel naseous after (b/c throwing up is VERY bad before the band has healed onto the stomach), and 3) A liquid form of Vicodin to take for pain. The antibiotic is the only one you actually HAVE to take...obviously the other 2 are for "as needed" and since they put one of those anti-nasuea Patches behind my ear before the surgery, Luckily I haven't needed the suppository (the patch lasts 3 days they say) and I've only taken the vicodin at night to help me sleep....

Where in MD are you? I live in northern VA Near dulles!

I'm in Rockville. But I'm certainly familiar with Dulles. That's our main airport as well.

You seem like you are in good spirits notwithstanding it all. I'll be interested to see how long it takes before you are feeling fully recovered.

Very cool! We're practically neighbors LOL

Yeah, my spirits are pretty good for now, although I have to say I can't wait for the pain to go away! I'm hoping by Friday I'll feel fully recovered, but I'll keep you posted!

If you have any other questions about Dr. K, let me know!

:think Hey ya'll! I just had my surgery five days ago. I have gas and fulliness alot and a hard time breathing, i am coughing alot, but i move around alot, i wish to sleep on my side but it maybe to soon, Everyone saids i look better and get around go. i eat a30 ml Protein, then later 30ml Soup, lateron pudding. then the same at lunch but if i am not hungry i don't get, i drink alot of Water, alot at night while sleeping, my mouth gets dry, and i feel pregant again because my belly push up in my chest, any advice please

Paula

surgery12/11/06

five days into liquid diet

I would just walk. Walking really help ease those pains and you might want to get you some gas-X because that is the exact way I was and LBT had me to get gas_X and I have been all right every since. I start my workout today and I was banded on Dec. 11. Good Luck let me know how things work out for you