Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of negative press from weight loss companies

I picked up a Weight Watchers magazine a couple of weeks ago, and there was a small blurb about weight loss surgery. I felt it was a little slanted.

Then today, I was reading healthyweightforum.org. The headline reads: Weight Loss Surgery. Is it right for you?"

And, of course, the overall tone of the article is, "No, it's not for you."

They go on to say that weight loss surgery can increase other health issues and that it is "not effective long term and viewed as a ‘quick fix’."

As opposed to what? All of the "diets" I have tried were "not effective long term".

Anyway, I'm irritated. I know this procedure isn't without flaws, but it seems as though the weight-loss companies are starting to panic a little.

My little sister just told me that Weight Watchers increased their points allowed, even though they did not change how the points are calculated. Why is that?

The longer they keep people fat, the more $$$$ for them.

:)

I always say that WW could build a new wing on their corp headquarters with the $$ they've got from me over the years.

It is so true, the longer you go to them the more $$ they make, interesting business model!

It does not matter much how you do it, as long as you do it reasonably. If I had a system that I made money from and it was working I would want everyone in the world on "My System"

Remember "Minds are like parachutes, they work better when Open"

Do your homework with an open mind, Lap-Band may not be for you. But I do not think anyone on this form telling you to stay fat, unhappy, unhealthy etc.

Best wishes, I did my homework for more than five years. First for my girlfriend and then for me. She had the bypass and I have the band. We are both better.

Hi...I'm not sure who you're directing your post to, but I am banded. I think the other posters are as well. I agree that almost any route will get you there, but the statistics on "diet" failure vs. lapband were impressive enough for me to go this route. And I'm happy I did.

Hi,

I am soon to be banded and going to WW. I have done WW about a thousand times since my teens. I actually went back in October kicking in screaming as I swore I would never pay another dollar for someone to applaud that I lost a pound. But I am there anyway and it is helping me. Not as much the program, as it is the accountability and comraderie. Granted, I feel a bit like a fraud since I don't plan to share that I am being banded. I have no desirer at this point to be the lap-band poster child so I am keeping this to myself and a few others. On the other hand, that may change down the road.

I did notice this week that the points changed. I was given 3 extra points a day. I am also skeptical that the longer we stay fat, the longer they make $$$ off of us poor souls. But I think the entire diet industry is that way. I am sure they are in cohoots with the fast food places and their dang dollar menus! hahaha- okay that may be a bit far fetched. Bottom line, it is all about making money and sadly, they are making it off of me!

~Kay

I completely agree. Its sad that weight loss companies only look at the negative sides of weight loss surgery. The band is a great alternative to gastric bypass. Good luck.

so true...they make people who have had WLS seem like slobs who are taking the 'easy way out' but that is soooo not true if this is 'easy' I would like to know what is 'hard'! Its like we are looked down on cause we dont have the will power to loose weight on our own...if only they knew!

:rolleyes: becky

I think anyone should applaud anyone who loses weight.. no matter how they did it! Its hard, no matter what route you choose! I did weight watchers and it worked for me but.. simply not fast enough.. and too much room for error involved, I couldnt stand to spend anymore of my youth being FAT!

I believe in weight watchers, and if you have 30, 40 lbs to lose.. rock out the WW hard.. but when your like me who has over 200 to lose, WW... wont do it all. Ive had the band for a yr today and i use everything i learned from WW to follow nutrional balances and make smarter food choices. The band is simply a tool, not a miracle cure, we all have to work and there is no "easy way out".

I tried Weight Watchers. At least 7 times over the years. One day I was standing in line, listening to those around me talking about how this was their 3rd, or 4th or 10th time to rejoin, and this time it was going to work for them. And it hit me that no, it probably wasn't for them or me. That it wasn't a plan that was going to be my answer, and how many times and how much money was it going to take for that to sink in. I never went back.

I know some people do well with it, become lifetime members and are just fine. I'm not one of them. But they always made me feel like it was my fault, that if I just tried a little harder I'd make it.