Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

bikergirl360 and julestwu,

Thanks for the advice! The Soup at Hand is a very good idea. I even had some. I am just SO used to being hungry and becoming practically crazed about it if I don't eat.

I am going to go home at lunch and lie down for a bit. People say after PBing to go liquid and to be honest I think eating something sounds totally gross right now. I am very slowly sipping some Water but even that is a bit touchy.

I am so glad I have this site. Thanks guys.

hub and i just got back from dinner at the coolest diner. i'll be very happy when i can't eat a piece of their delicious delicious delicious chocolate cake anymore!!! homemade chocolate buttercream frosting. oh, good golly. :faint:

anyhow, we talked it over and we are going to not use the loan - since he has such amazing credit, his credit cards are at 3.9% - 5% interest rates. he is going to split the surgery b/t 2 cards (to keep the debt ratio under 30%. he's such a finance geek.) once we get confirmation from the doctor's office that we can indeed split b/t 2 cards... i'm going to book my surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happy dance ya'll!!! :D:) :) :) :eek:

Great!!!! Where there is a will, there is a way!!!!

What an awesome husband!!!!:clap2:

Yes, I want to do the South Beach challenge. I'm not to familiar with the SB diet. But I can read about it so I can join the group.

I seem to be at a slow point...And I don't want to get a fill because I really don't want to eat any less than I'm eating.

I have the South Beach Diet posted on this thread, or you can just go to my journal and get it from there!!! We will be starting on Satuday!!!!

What I love about it, is you detox from sugar and white flour products and after day 3 you don't really feel hungry anymore!!!

:clap2: :clap2:

Silry

My husband and I were watching a "christian show" one day and the minister was talking about counseling a couple - he said the Wife wanted money to shop, the husband said he wanted more sex. He said this is easy, you give him sex and then you give her money, both of you will be happy..... I say that to say this - I reminded my husband of the show we were watching and based on what I've read on a couple of the threads our sex drive will go up (less weight/better movement):clap2: .... If my insurance company won't approve me, he is going to put it on his credit card also....I told him, if I lose some weight, I can give you what you want and I've got what I want....We both are happy:whoo: :whoo: . Needless to say he laughed a little chuckle like and said "Have you had your consultation yet?"

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!! And you will both be VERY happy!!!! And burn calories too!!!!:clap2:

good luck guys on your south beach plan. I will catch up as soon as I can. I just came home from the hospital on Sunday. I had a hysto last Thurs. It was rough. I have a bad urinary track. I feel real week.

I read a few posts about your upcomming diet. Sounds great. Just alittle friendly advice is that we should not have any Snacks between meals. Just our meals. We should not get our new small pouches used to having food all the time or we will be were we started at.

I sorry if I sound rude, just alittle advice. Drink instead of snack.< /p>

Bye Guys,

Madden

I was also reading somewhere that if you MUST snack, eat like a cheese stick or something that is a solid Protein. But, Water is better! OR maybe a Kelloggs Protein water!!!

So I had my first PB this morning. :cry

I was late for work and I wanted Starbucks. I didn't have time to make and eat oatmeal but I didn't want to go to Starbuck's on an empty stomach.

From this point forward, no good decisions were made....

I decided to make a tortilla with cheese so I could eat it in the car. It's all soft, right? I ate a bean burrito with no PBing a week ago, right?

I get into my car and SNARF this tortilla and cheese, as I am in "hurry mode." About 60 seconds after I do this, I feel immediately nauseated and huge pressure and I am like, well HELL. Luckily, there is plastic bag in my car, which I proceeded to reverse eat into. PBing is like every bite I took came out individually. It pretty well sucked.

Now I have a headache, my neck hurts and I want to take a nap.

What I learned:

1. I need to not forget the rules when I am in a hurry and stressed.

2. I need to make sure I eat what I should be eating and not what is convenient.

3. I need to make the time if I don't have the time.

4. Don't mess with my morning routine.

5. PBing is as gross and unpleasant as everyone says it is

6. I am not used to the fact that I am not going to be starving if I don't get to eat right when I am used to eating. I am used to being so concerned with getting my Breakfast so I am not starving by 9am at work. I don't think I need to be quite that concerned anymore but I am not used to that yet.

Man!!! I am sorry! The part that got me is pbing each individual bite!!! Yikes!!! What I did this morning was take my coffee and put my Gano Spirulina Oats, which comes out like a baby food consistency. I drank my oatmeal on my way to taking the kids to school. I feel very FULL.

Or if I am on the run, I have my coffee with a Carnation Good Start Breakfast mixed into it and I get full.

Or like you said, just take it to work. Isn't it fun having to relearn eating all over again!!!:faint:

Hey Guys,

I've been offline for a bit, but i see the challenge for the South Beach..is it too late to join in..and is there a website or somewhere where i can the diet without having to buy the book? Let me know.

Rachael.

Not too late!! Anyone can jump in at anytime, but the official start date is this Saturday. I have the whole thing posted in this thread or you can go to my journal and get it there. You can also go to Prevention.com and gets tons of info there!!!

Let's do this!!!!!:clap2:

bikergirl360 and julestwu,

Thanks for the advice! The Soup at Hand is a very good idea. I even had some. I am just SO used to being hungry and becoming practically crazed about it if I don't eat.

I am going to go home at lunch and lie down for a bit. People say after PBing to go liquid and to be honest I think eating something sounds totally gross right now. I am very slowly sipping some Water but even that is a bit touchy.

I am so glad I have this site. Thanks guys.

Yeah, take it slow! The esophagous is irritated and needs time to heal. I have heard that you should stay on liquids for 24 hours, but then Dr. Ortiz told me to just wait a few hours. I think I will do what my body tells me and I will test it first with a liquid and proceed when ready. I think I'd rather wait the 24 hours or at least 12 so I don't keep on pbing because my esophogas is irritated.

Maybe some warm tea? Also, I have read that people drink aloe vera juice and that soothes the esophogas too.

Ouch, Susan I so feel your pain. I was just thinking that I need to get my work bag stocked with things like Soup in a can and they even have instant oatmeal that is sugar free that isn't bad (Brown Sugar). I am going to have a hard time at work being at at a desk for dinner time, I used to just pick up a subway or sandwich but now, I'm not sure what I'll do when on the run. Is there anything we can eat from a drive through? The only thing I could think of is a Baked potato from Wendy's. It is nice that I am definately going to save some money, but need to have a back up plan always ready.

Hope the rest of the day goes better Susan.

Sara

I thought this was good advice. I have heard of it before, but under a different name. In Weight Watcher language, it is called the Wendy Plan (or used to be).

quote:"Use the zig-zag method where you vary your calories so that your body does not adjust to getting 1000 calories every day - consistently. When your body becomes accustomed to your calorie habit, that is when it plateaus. Keep it guessing."

Changes in diet can sometimes lead to hair loss

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

By Tara Parker-Pope, The Wall Street Journal

Dieters hoping to lose weight are discovering they're losing something else -- their hair.

The little-talked-about secret of the dieting industry is that a successful diet can also trigger Hair loss. As Americans struggle with obesity and tackle countless fad diets, some dermatologists say they are increasingly hearing complaints from perplexed dieters about thinning hair.

After Esther Sokol, a New York City records manager, lost nine pounds on the Atkins diet a few years ago, her hairdresser noticed her usually thick hair was beginning to thin. It was only after talking with doctors and hair experts that she learned her diet was the likely culprit.

"Diet was the only major change I'd made," says Ms. Sokol.

Hair loss can be triggered by a variety of factors including pregnancy, stress, surgery and age-related hormonal changes, to name a few. But few people realize that weight loss can also cause hair to shed, likely due to a nutritional deficiency. Although Iron deficiency is often associated with diet-related hair loss, a range of nutrient deficiencies can result in thinning hair, dermatologists say. Changes in levels of zinc, magnesium, Protein, essential fatty acids and Vitamins D, B and A can all trigger episodes of shedding hair. The problem affects both men and women, but women are more likely to notice it and seek treatment, say doctors.

The fact that so many different nutrients can be the culprit in hair loss means any diet can take a toll on the tresses.

The threat of thinning hair shouldn't discourage patients from losing weight, but it should convince them to avoid fad, quick-reduction diets, says Wilma Bergfeld, head of clinical research for the department of dermatology at the Cleveland Clinic. Such diets often lack proper nutrition, and rapid weight loss in itself is a stress on the body and can also trigger metabolism changes that affect Hair growth.

For hair health, doctors say the best weight-loss plans are reduced-calorie diets that promote gradual weight loss with healthful foods from all of the food groups. Diets low in protein and iron, such as vegetarian diets and very-low-fat diets, often result in deficiencies. But high-protein diets like Atkins that initially discourage fruits and vegetables can also trigger hair loss, says Dr. Bergfeld. The typical patient complains of thinning hair after losing about 20 pounds in a relatively short period of time, she says.

"We see it all the time," says Dr. Bergfeld. "If you start eating only one thing and you're not well balanced, you get into trouble."

A spokesman for Atkins referred questions to the company's Web site, which addresses hair loss in its frequently asked questions section, noting that any weight-loss plan can trigger hair loss. The site contends the Atkins diet is the "least likely" to cause hair loss. However, dermatologists say no scientific study has ever determined whether certain diets are more or less likely to cause hair loss.

In a healthy person, hair typically grows about an inch every two months. Hair has a three-phase life cycle -- the growing phase can last two to five years. A second, less-active phase lasts only about six weeks. A final resting phase lasts three to five months, before the hair falls out and new hair grows in. About 15 percent of hair follicles are in the resting phase at a time.

Abrupt changes in nutrition can disrupt the hair-growth cycle, causing hair follicles in the growing phase to convert to the resting phase too soon. This can mean a 20 percent to 30 percent or more increase in the number of daily hairs shed.

For many people, diet-related hair loss is temporary and may last only about two to six months. Once a person starts eating a more balanced diet, hair eventually comes back. In some people it may take one to two years to regain a full head of hair, dermatologists say.

Some dieters aren't even that lucky. A hair-shedding episode triggered by dieting may become a chronic problem if the dieter has a genetic predisposition for thinning hair, says Dr. Bergfeld and other doctors. In addition, hair loss triggered by dieting can be exacerbated by hormonal changes, stress or medications -- sending patients into a chronic cycle of hair shedding.

Ms. Sokol says she stopped the diet and has since regained the weight -- but her hair has never recovered. She says that if she had been aware of the link between weight loss and hair loss she probably wouldn't have tried the diet.

Dermatologists say they often advise dieters to take a Multivitamin with iron and keep weight loss to a pace of one to two pounds a week. Dieters with a family history of thinning hair or baldness should be especially careful about proper nutrition and slow weight loss. Patients considering obesity surgery, which often results in rapid weight loss, should also talk to their doctor about ways to protect their hair.

In addition to nutrition supplements, patients who experience thinning hair after dieting or for other reasons are advised to avoid chemical treatments like bleach or permanents that weaken hair. Minoxidil, the active ingredient in the topical treatment Rogaine, is often recommended for chronic hair loss, although it doesn't work for everyone and has to be used consistently or the hair shedding will return, notes Brooklyn dermatologist Morris Westfried, medical director of the New York Hair Loss Center who published one of the first reports on minoxidil. For men, the oral medication Propecia may also help improve thinning hair. Hair extensions and transplants are also an option, but they can be expensive.

Jojoba Oil

If you are predisposed to seborrhea, eczema, psoriasis, or dandruff, you could consider using jojoba oil. Mexicans and southwestern Native American nations have used jojoba oil traditionally for centuries to promote Hair growth and the control of dandruff. Jojoba oil is great for hypoallergenic skin because it is a great moisturizer and mimics the scalp's own sebum.

Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera has been used by Native Americans, Indians and many in the Caribbean to promote healthy hair and prevent Hair loss. Aloe's can help the scalp by healing it and balancing the pH level of the scalp while cleansing the pores. A common preparation of Aloe Vera gel with a small amount of wheat germ oil and coconut milk is used as a Shampoo and has traditionally shown great benefit.

Is there anything we can eat from a drive through? The only thing I could think of is a Baked potato from Wendy's.

I would get a bean burrito from Taco Bell and eat the insides (not the tortilla). I can't do the tortilla. It gets stuck. Sometimes I can have a few bites of it, but it just isn't worth it. I just use a spoon and eat the middle stuff. It is cheap too. Less than a buck.