Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

P90X After Surgery...is it doable?

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone has done the P90X regimen, post op? I dont want to lose muscle mass, any exercise activities anyone would like to share.. Thanks

Great question! I'm curious about that myself. I'm not having surgery until June. I would imagine P90X could be done after you're cleared...6 weeks afterwards maybe??? Hopefully you get some answers!

How long since surgery? Your doc will tell you when you can do anything you want...usually between 4-8 weeks depending on the doc. Once you are cleared for any kind of exercise, why not?

Hey guys I was sleeved on mar 20th. I started doing p90x 4 weeks later. My doc says its an excellent workout for sleevers. You just can't do the ab ripper until 6 weeks out. I am down 53 lbs a d feeling amazing

My first post in the Man room... well I just joined today. Just a suggestion to guys that aren't used to working out as heavily as the P90X requires, and believe me, it's a hardcore work out. The pre-P90X is called the Power 90. Also by Tony Horton and it's an awesome work out that you can do before trying the P90X. I've found it to be as good/almost the same as when I hired a personal trainer at the gym. just my 2 cents

If you don't have access to a gym, or weights, or canned goods, or a baby, or a chair, or anything else that can be picked up, put down, or access to a sidewalk/yard/field/living room where you can do mini laps, swimming pool, floor, then I guess P90X would be ok to do.

It's not all it's hyped up to be. The before/afters aren't what they appear to be. If you're used to doing nothing, it's a hardcore workout. I laughed at P90X and all 90 days when I was 380. It was nothing. It'd be a decent starter for those who haven't had a set workout program before. I'd go with hip hop abs afterwards though, because you gotta get a 6 pack, and that's the only way to do it.

I did P90x last year at 286lbs and it is VERY difficult. It needs to be done at your pace and you should not try to keep up rep for rep? When I started I was dead in the warm up and YOGA ... WOW!!!

Over 150 pull-ups and 150 pushups at 380lbs is impressive. You must be freaking strong.

I did P90x last year at 286lbs and it is VERY difficult. It needs to be done at your pace and you should not try to keep up rep for rep? When I started I was dead in the warm up and YOGA ... WOW!!!

Over 150 pull-ups and 150 pushups at 380lbs is impressive. You must be freaking strong.

Like I said, for someone just starting out in working out yes it's decent. If you're dead in the warm up then you're not conditioned, as I also said, P90X would benefit those who are coming from a sedentary lifestyle, couch to p90x type gig.

And yes, I'm strong. You don't hold 3 Texas State powerlifting records by not being strong.

I think that qualifies you as strong :-)

Sorry, I'm calling BS. There's no way possible a man of any strength at 380 lbs can do P90X and say it was easy. I've been certified by Beach Body in training and it's just not possible. You're telling me that at 380 you can do 150 pull ups easily? And the Yoga? Plyometrics? Push ups? Ab Ripper X?? Come On! I've trained other guys on it and they were all ridiculously in shape, military & body builder types and even they had a hard time.

Myself at 250 had to do all of the modified work outs and even STILL it took all of 2 weeks for me to blow out my knee bad enough to require surgery, and I can bench close to 300 and leg press nearly 400lbs, so I'm considered fairly strong. So again, sorry, I'm calling BS.

ALEXCO, did you start P90X? How are you progressing with the program and your WL?

Sorry, I'm calling BS. There's no way possible a man of any strength at 380 lbs can do P90X and say it was easy. I've been certified by Beach Body in training and it's just not possible. You're telling me that at 380 you can do 150 pull ups easily? And the Yoga? Plyometrics? Push ups? Ab Ripper X?? Come On! I've trained other guys on it and they were all ridiculously in shape, military & body builder types and even they had a hard time.

Myself at 250 had to do all of the modified work outs and even STILL it took all of 2 weeks for me to blow out my knee bad enough to require surgery, and I can bench close to 300 and leg press nearly 400lbs, so I'm considered fairly strong. So again, sorry, I'm calling BS.

This rules out everything you said. That's laughable.

Before surgery...

Bench Press -465 in a 1 ply shirt. 415 raw*MSA Texas State Record for SHW Open weight class, after I went to 308 the record is 605 raw and for me, unattainable.

Dead Lift- 815 in briefs, 675 raw*MSA Texas State Record for 308 weigth class

Squat- 835 in single ply briefs with straps up, 695 raw*MSA Texas State Record for 308 Weight Class

2010 Texas Strongman 2nd place finisher in super heavy weights (SHW)

2011 Texas Stronman 3rd place finisher in 308 weight class.

I've competed at nationals once, been invited 3 times for USAPL lifting federation, I placed 19th at 308 weight class after bailing on my 3rd squat attempt after tearing my anterior pec muscle dead lifting.

You can squeel BS all ya want, check out USAPL website for stats on lifts and dates, I've been on their youtube channel numerous times, it ain't no biggie. My opinion on p90x is based from a powerlifter/weight lifter stance, I think it f**king sucks because I want to build solid muscle mass, don't give a damn about a beach body 6 pack, and would rather be able to move a truck rather than flex my biceps while drinking a fancy drink with an umbrella in it at a bar.

Leg press isn't considered a lift, it's an accessory, so I don't max out on an accessory lift, anyone who does is doing so strictly for egotesticular reasons alone. You're using physics to assist in a "lift" therefore you can max out at a much higher weight, which again, is laughable by any real means. But to play, my wife weighing 130 pounds leg presses 315, so yeah I'd say you're pretty strong.

For the record, my pull ups were assisted with monster mini's, so calm down.

Again, further explaining my stance. Do I think P90X has it's place? Sure, it has its place on Jersey Shore and any place that wants to get you ripped and shredded at 140 pounds. Do I think P90X has it's place in physical strength? GPP? Nope. I sure don't. And if you were training bodybuilder "types" I'd imagine what you're calling body builder type are more swimsuit models with decent bi's, a semi noticeable lat spread and a 6 pack with sticks for legs. To each his own but being 5'9, weighing 260 and benching "nearly 300" isn't considered fairly strong in the strength world.

This rules out everything you said. That's laughable.

Before surgery...

Bench Press -465 in a 1 ply shirt. 415 raw*MSA Texas State Record for SHW Open weight class, after I went to 308 the record is 605 raw and for me, unattainable.

Dead Lift- 815 in briefs, 675 raw*MSA Texas State Record for 308 weigth class

Squat- 835 in single ply briefs with straps up, 695 raw*MSA Texas State Record for 308 Weight Class

2010 Texas Strongman 2nd place finisher in super heavy weights (SHW)

2011 Texas Stronman 3rd place finisher in 308 weight class.

I've competed at nationals once, been invited 3 times for USAPL lifting federation, I placed 19th at 308 weight class after bailing on my 3rd squat attempt after tearing my anterior pec muscle dead lifting.

You can squeel BS all ya want, check out USAPL website for stats on lifts and dates, I've been on their youtube channel numerous times, it ain't no biggie. My opinion on p90x is based from a powerlifter/weight lifter stance, I think it f**king sucks because I want to build solid muscle mass, don't give a damn about a beach body 6 pack, and would rather be able to move a truck rather than flex my biceps while drinking a fancy drink with an umbrella in it at a bar.

Leg press isn't considered a lift, it's an accessory, so I don't max out on an accessory lift, anyone who does is doing so strictly for egotesticular reasons alone. You're using physics to assist in a "lift" therefore you can max out at a much higher weight, which again, is laughable by any real means. But to play, my wife weighing 130 pounds leg presses 315, so yeah I'd say you're pretty strong.

For the record, my pull ups were assisted with monster mini's, so calm down.

Again, further explaining my stance. Do I think P90X has it's place? Sure, it has its place on Jersey Shore and any place that wants to get you ripped and shredded at 140 pounds. Do I think P90X has it's place in physical strength? GPP? Nope. I sure don't. And if you were training bodybuilder "types" I'd imagine what you're calling body builder type are more swimsuit models with decent bi's, a semi noticeable lat spread and a 6 pack with sticks for legs. To each his own but being 5'9, weighing 260 and benching "nearly 300" isn't considered fairly strong in the strength world.

I'm sorry, all I just read there was blah blah blah blah

Really? I thought this was the man room, I must be mistaken and have found my way in to the 13 year old school girl room where maturity is NOT the order of the day. Forgive me, I'll show myself to the door.

lol.

p90x is alright, but if you arent going for a strongman title like mark then id suggest something with other people.. crossfit, a gym that does high intensity interval training, grappling, wrestling, rugby, whatever. make it fun and make some new friends who can hold you accountable.

i have gained a good bit of muscle and increased my max on nearly every exercise since i was sleeved in late february. and my jiu jitsu game has taken leaps and bounds too. eat your Protein, work hard, and muscle wasting won't be an issue. lay around and take the easy way out and you'll get weak and atrophied in a hurry.