Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PREGNANCY DURING PRE-OP....HELP!

Hi All,

So here is the deal. I will be scheduling my sleeve for May 31st, 2014. I have and almost 4 year old and am thinking that I might try and get preggo now before I have surgery because I don't want there to be a huge gap between my kids and once I undergo surgery I want to focus on myself and body. I am NOT pregnant yet. I am just starting the 6 month pre-op but am wondering if they will let me complete the pre-op SHOULD I end up preggo? Of course I would love to time this out perfectly (in my wildest dreams) but I don't want to be 3 months into pre-op requirements to only find out that if I do get preggo I have to start all over once I have the baby.

Any info would really help!!!

Thank you in advance you guys are great!

I think that you should probably check with the office you are working with for your 6 month pre-op. Depending on what they say, you can make a decision as to whether or not to move forward with a pregnancy.

You should be candid with your doctor and ask. Different doctors and insurance companies have different preop requirements. If you need to have a certain amount of time concentrating on weight loss to qualify I'm guessing the time before your pregnancy may not count. Also, if you have to have a c section (you never know, it could happen even last minute) the bariatric surgeon may have a required amount of time for healing before he'd consider operating. Mine was very happy i was a year out from my emergency c section before starting the process. I dont know what the minimum time would be.

Also, I'm 17 days post op and this is not easy. I have 2 kids (4 and 20 months) and the post op changes, diet, emotions, lack of energy, appointments are not things I would want to go through with a post partum body and a newborn. Also, if you plan to breastfeed I don't know if that would be ok. The tiny amount of nutrition I can tolerate would not be enough to nourish both me and a baby at this point. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but these are all things I would ask about and consider.

Thanks ladies! I am going to work with my PCP for my pre-op since I haven't picked a surgeon. I am willing to push the surgery back a month or so but want to avoid a significant departure from my original date. I just don't want to do 3 months of pre-op finf out I am preggo and have to begin again AFTER the baby os born.

Yes...Well..keep in mind, you might not get pregnant right away..so if you are scheduled for a date in May 2014 and you end up getting pregnant later then you expect..you can mess up your date for surgery. Are you willing to take that risk?

If you plan on having your insurance pay for your surgery they will not accept your weight during your pregnancy for the 2 yr weight history that most require. Since I had a baby in 2011, they would not accept any of my weight history from 2010 or the beginning of 2011. Even though I was morbidly obese, so I became a self pay in Mexico cause I wasn't going to weight an extra year to try to get it covered. Good luck

My doc won't do the surgery if you are pregnant. As a matter of fact, does a pregnancy test at preop. Also suggests not getting pregnant for atleast 18 months after surgery.

If you plan on having your insurance pay for your surgery they will not accept your weight during your pregnancy for the 2 yr weight history that most require. Since I had a baby in 2011' date=' they would not accept any of my weight history from 2010 or the beginning of 2011. Even though I was morbidly obese, so I became a self pay in Mexico cause I wasn't going to weight an extra year to try to get it covered. Good luck[/quote']

Can you tell me what insurance you had?

I am 4 weeks out and I have a now 15mth old. It was/is crazy hard to recover with such a little one. Not impossible but very hard, I was not allowed to pick her up for 4 weeks. I couldn't put her to bed, in her high chair or in the car. I had to have someone with me every day in order to take care of her. All for fear of getting a hernia which is yet another surgery. If I would have realized how hard that would be, I would have waited at least another 6 months.

If you plan on having your insurance pay for your surgery they will not accept your weight during your pregnancy for the 2 yr weight history that most require. Since I had a baby in 2011' date=' they would not accept any of my weight history from 2010 or the beginning of 2011. Even though I was morbidly obese, so I became a self pay in Mexico cause I wasn't going to weight an extra year to try to get it covered. Good luck[/quote']

SRS8278, how did they know the weight you submitted was while you were pregnant? Did your OB/GYN send your whole file or something? I'm afraid I may be in the same boat as you...

If they pay for the pregnancy charges they will know WHEN you were pregnant. And the weights they submit must be dated for each weigh-in.