Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any diabetics have problem with pre-op diet?

I am diabetic and I'm on my pre-op diet that consists of 3-5 Protein Shakes only per day. My blood sugars are running between 150-200. Has anyone else had this problem?

That seems a bit odd. Are you using ready-to-drink or powders? You might want to look at the carbohydrates per serving in your Protein Drink - some of them can be unexpectedly carb-heavy. I usually use Protein powders. The ones I use regularly have less than 6 grams of carbs per serving. If I add milk instead of Water, it adds another 12 grams per serving.

I used Water in my shakes and stopped all my insulin. Had no problems until after surgery and then had to reintroduce insulin into my life a little at a time. Now at 5 months out I am using 1/6 of the insulin I used before.

the 2 Protein Shakes i am using is Bariatric Advantage that has 8 g of carbs per serving and nectar that has no carbs per serving...the bariatric advantage is the one my doctor told me to get

Interesting. I asked because there are a number of shakes out there which are much higher carb, but you're taking shakes that I've taken too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

I guess I'm going to call the doctor today...I don't want this to interfere with my surgery...I just took it again and it is 252...I just don't know what is going on

I am using Atkins Advantage ready to drink. They have 1 net carb, 1g sugar, 15g Protein. They lowered my humalog from 30u to 15. My norm is 150-250 and yesterday I ran 100-127 all day. I am on day 3 of liquid diet.< /p>

I AM IN KETOSIS!!! i've been so worried it wouldn't happen because of these blood sugar problems. my sugars finally came down some but go from 109 to 130s to the 170s. Doctor's contact just told me not to use milk with my shakes just Water. it has helped some but they have jumped a bit from time to time...it has stressed me out so bad since they said it could cause me not to be able to have the surgery. Now that I am in ketosis that stress level has dropped.

I'm on a pump and using U-500 insulin. My blood glucose levels have been low since I have cut back on my calorie intake and am now only taking 1500 calories a day and my carbs are dropping since I am only eating chicken, fish and vegetables. The liquid diet will be interesting and I am sure that I will cutting back on my basil insulin the whole time I am on my liquid diet. I think I finally convinced my endochronologists that this is seriious and I really need him to keep a close eye on me. I hope he will. I'm not very happy with him right now

I am on day 12 of my preop diet. I had to go off my oral meds and switch to a sliding scale. I also discovered that Splenda raises my blood sugar and my protien shakes has that in there.