Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on your pre-op liquid diet?

I understand the urge to cheat. We all go through it. But it takes will power to stick to your pre op. And even more will power post up. Cheating then just leads to regain.

Also, the pre op diets are designed for your benefit. To prep your liver for surgery and your brain for the type of eating you're committing to for the rest of your life.

Btw, if your liver is too fatty during a laparoscopic procedure they'll do a couple things 1. Stop the surgery entirely and your insurance and/or surgeon will refuse a second attempt due to lack of compliance. 2. They go through with the surgery and ditch the laparoscopic approach an give you a nice slice all the way through your abdomen with a huge scar.

I had to do two weeks of clear liquid only and I did not cheat. I figured if I was really serious about making a change' date=' I better start with the pre-op diet. Keep going, you're more than half way there, you CAN do this![/quote']

Exactly! If anyone is really serious and truly dedicated to the lifestyle change they're about to make, they'll know cheating just isn't worth it. And those that cheat habitually...well they struggle more mentally post op and with weight gain long term.

If you really want this, you can do this!

I have to do a high Protein diet for 2 weeks not liquid which also shrinks liver also

Nothing taste as good as thin feels

I had to do liquids leading up to my surgery and for two weeks post-op and urge you not to cheat. This surgery requires a lifestyle change and you are not thinking properly if you are seeking suggestions on how to cheat.

I had to do 3wks liquid, make sure your shakes include at least 20-25g of Protein a lot don't, this helps to keep you full, I also would add ice and put in blender for more of a shake, plus I bought all kinds of tea to change it up, it's worth it, my surgery went extremely well and I feel awesome and my surgery was Friday !

I did not cheat but dammit if I didn't dream about it! I even asked on VST about taking diet pills during my pre-op, I was desperate to tame the hunger and carb withdrawls. I stuck with it though and didn't cheat and now am so happy with my new sleeved lifestyle. I hope the same for you. I get hungry now but it is NOTHING like before. I can ignore it where as before it was an angry beast. I'm telling you what everyone told me when I asked about the pre-op diet: Don't do it, it's not worth it. God forbid you end up with a problem during or after surgery and then have to wonder, was it that Big Mac I ate the day before surgery?! Not worth having any doubts. Last thing, Laura is totally right, pre-packaged broth is disgusting. I thought I was being healthy and got organic read flavorless broth. Homemade or even unjury broth is better that the packaged crap.

You are over the halfway mark and can do it!!

I'm on the pre-op liquids now, so I feel your pain. Just drink ice cold Water with lots of ice. The cold water really helps me. Also, make sure you're getting enough Protein from your shakes (some have more than others). I leave my Soup for dinner (just had it) - makes me feel like I'm having a meal. Then, I have the Jello 1/2 before bedtime so I feel good going to bed. Hot tea also helps. We can do this:)

I'm day 7. I have lost 8 pounds. I have stuck to the diet religiously but this morning I woke up hungry. Fought it all day. Had my Protein and veggies for dinner and I admit I had a little cheat. I so desperately craved salad and realized it would be months. So I ate half of a diviner salad. I have to believe that with all the variations one small salad will not be the end for me. Tomorrow back to the religion. (As a side note, in the last three months I quit smoking. Gave up sugar, carbs, caffeine and carbonation. I'm not going to beat myself over a salad. At least it wasn't a sundae!!!

Just a tip and note Im not sleeved yet.....i have been on a diet just prsparing myself for this full liquid 10 day pre op.....i drink 2 shakes and a small dinner...the shake is myoplex it has 42g of Protein and its very filling I've been drinking the chocolate one and to me its not bad but i hear strawberry and vanilla are great the more protein the fuller u are!!! And this one is extremely high already mixed shake i hope i feel the same whenever i get surgery i hear ya taste buds might not like it after being sleeved....:( hope everything works out!!!! Don't cheat u can do it.....i find it easier to by pass fast food restaurants everyday....to buy fruit over a snickers its hard at first but it gets easier and trust Im not perfect but when i get to the point of my 10 day pre op.....i won't cheat...and if Im really truly dead ill talk to my doc about maybe gettin to veggies or egg in:) YOU CAN DO IT

Just a tip and note Im not sleeved yet.....i have been on a diet just prsparing myself for this full liquid 10 day pre op.....i drink 2 shakes and a small dinner...the shake is myoplex it has 42g of Protein and its very filling I've been drinking the chocolate one and to me its not bad but i hear strawberry and vanilla are great the more Protein the fuller u are!!! And this one is extremely high already mixed shake i hope i feel the same whenever i get surgery i hear ya taste buds might not like it after being sleeved....:( hope everything works out!!!! Don't cheat u can do it.....i find it easier to by pass fast food restaurants everyday....to buy fruit over a snickers its hard at first but it gets easier and trust Im not perfect but when i get to the point of my 10 day pre op.....i won't cheat...and if Im really truly dead ill talk to my doc about maybe gettin to veggies or egg in:) YOU CAN DO IT

Congrats and thank you for your post. I too prepared myself ahead of being sleeved and have never cheated. I think you will be just fine once you are sleeved. You have shown incredible willpower and self control. Good luck to you on your journey. Do you have a surgery date as of yet?

Congrats and thank you for your post. I too prepared myself ahead of being sleeved and have never cheated. I think you will be just fine once you are sleeved. You have shown incredible willpower and self control. Good luck to you on your journey. Do you have a surgery date as of yet?

Good luck to u too on your journey!!! I don't have a date yet but all of my requirement will be done by the end of the month hopeful that i be sleeved by June.....July at the latest *fingerscrossed*

I just recently started my preop diet yesterday. I have pseudotumor cerebri and not eating triggers very painful headaches. I cheated on my second day with a turkey club. I was sooo hungry and just tired of pain. I will try to get back on track. Im getting sleeved May 14th