Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I had my sleeve done almost two years ago, and I lost 72 lbs,but within the last year I gained 30 of it back. My obsessive binge eating is back. Has anyone else been going through this? How are you coping? I am just so depressed and disgusted with myself.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I'm gonna be a band to sleeve revision in may but I too have lost and regained. I understand the binge eating. I find it helpful when im on a binge to get back into a program requiring weekly meetings and weigh ins. Accountability is key for me. I'm sorry you are struggling.

You know with addiction now it is understood that relapse is part of recovery not the end of recovery. We are all on a lifelong journey. View this as a short relapse not a failure. You can choose to veer back on to the path to success. You've already done it once.

I am almost six months out and still dealing with binging behaviors and trying to break the food addiction..

30 pounds is not the end of the world, how is your restriction? Do you think you can go back to the basics again?

I find the night time the hardest, I guess the way I'm coping right now is coming on this forum, I find talking about it with friends here helpful.

I take it a day at a time.

So sorry you are going through that. Perhaps try and go back to the beginning and try a couple days of shakes and then start slowly to try and get some of the bad, processed carbs out of your system.

I'm only guessing at what I might do in the same situation. I am just 7 weeks out and I realize the real work is just beginning and I know struggles and trials lay ahead.

I wish you the best of luck!

Celticsoul, I think some very wise words have been said above, but surely the biggest thing to hold on to is that you have chosen to come back to this place and ask for help, which says you are searching for ways to get back on track. Good for you. Are you hungry? Or has your eating been related to stress, depression or something like that? Depending on what the reason is, ypu may need to visit a dr, psych or dietician to help you restart... we all need help occasionally. You've lost the weight before so at the very least have confidence in knowing that you know what to do and that your sleeve worked for you in the past. You can do this because you have done this before. Good luck.

I am 5 months post op and am starting to crave all the bad carbs again. And I guess you know why, I started eating them again. I am struggling also to keep on track. I know for sure I am a CARBOHOLIC and will be till the day I die. Put on your big girl panties and do what you know you have to do. We are all here for you. I hope you will be there for me. Best of luck.

Now you guys have scared me. I'm going from being banded for 3 1/2 yrs to sleeve revision cuz of a slip. Isn't the sleeve sposed to cut the amt of food you can hold? If you're stomach is 15% of what it used to be and they take the stretchy part out, how can you even fit that much food in your tiny tummy?

I'm terrified of a 2nd surgery not working for me. I lost 104 lbs with the band (9 lbs from my goal of 135) before it started with complications. I've gained up to 168 as of this morning. My bmi is 28 and I'm going with the sleeve cuz I know I can't do it all by myself. I've experienced the positive with wls, so I'm optimistic. However, when I read posts like this it scares me. What if I can't lose the extra 33 lbs I have to lose? What if it stretches? Does it stretch?

And if it doesn't stretch over time (like RNY) how can anyone fail with the sleeve? Seems to me that ur tummy can only hold so much - whether its junk or healthy. Advise plz...

Now you guys have scared me. I'm going from being banded for 3 1/2 yrs to sleeve revision cuz of a slip. Isn't the sleeve sposed to cut the amt of food you can hold? If you're stomach is 15% of what it used to be and they take the stretchy part out' date=' how can you even fit that much food in your tiny tummy?

I'm terrified of a 2nd surgery not working for me. I lost 104 lbs with the band (9 lbs from my goal of 135) before it started with complications. I've gained up to 168 as of this morning. My bmi is 28 and I'm going with the sleeve cuz I know I can't do it all by myself. I've experienced the positive with wls, so I'm optimistic. However, when I read posts like this it scares me. What if I can't lose the extra 33 lbs I have to lose? What if it stretches? Does it stretch?

And if it doesn't stretch over time (like RNY) how can anyone fail with the sleeve? Seems to me that ur tummy can only hold so much - whether its junk or healthy. Advise plz...[/quote']

Your sleeve can relax over time but can't stretch as much as the pouch can. And what I'm assuming happens during a binge is you eat until you're full, then wait a few minutes for some of the food to pass through then add/eat more. Also, people can fail by not sticking with the healthier choices they ate in the beginning. I can eat chicken breast and some veggies, or a burger and some fries. Most of the sleeve is about quantity, it can't monitor the quality of food you eat.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as binging wasn't my problem with weight in the first place, I ate healthy foods, just way too much at a time. Of you committ to the lifestyle change, you should be fine.

I think you have to take into account "slider" foods. Just as you can eat around the band, you can eat around the sleeve. You are going to be able to eat a lot more potato chips than you can a piece of chicken.< /p>

food addiction is probably similar to other addictions like drugs or alcohol, etc. Look at the 12 steps in those programs.

1) I admit I am powerless over my eating and that my life has become unmanageable.

2) I came to believe that only a power greater than myself could restore me to sanity

3) Made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understood Him.

When you truly embrace each step, you open yourself up to change -- you are willing to change. Step 2 says you can't do it alone, you need help from a higher power. Step 3 says you accept that you need help and are willing to get it.

It seems to me that you need to fix the emotional/ mental problem not just the physical. I've been to 12 step meetings and they really helped me get rid of my addiction. Being around people who have the same issues and are getting better makes all the difference in the world.

If you're truly ready to start a new chapter, you must be willing to go to any lengths to stay "sober." But don't try to do it alone.

Now you guys have scared me. I'm going from being banded for 3 1/2 yrs to sleeve revision cuz of a slip. Isn't the sleeve sposed to cut the amt of food you can hold? If you're stomach is 15% of what it used to be and they take the stretchy part out, how can you even fit that much food in your tiny tummy?

I've never heard of a sleeve that small. What I've heard is that the sleeve will be anywhere from 20 to 30% smaller, depending on what you and your surgeon agree on.

Look at what's going on in the lap-band world. A ton of people are switching to the sleeve, where they are having outstanding results. I haven't seen any mention of someone's sleeve stretching and/or regaining the weight.

Make a decision and stick with it. That way you can stop worrying and looking for reasons not to do it. You'll love it, I'm sure!

Sassy Senior, I also believe 85% of the stomach is removed, leaving it at 15%... I've read that numerous times; shall try to find a link and post it here. Also, my surgeon said the stomach does stretch "a bit" over time, and technically you can be "re-sleeved" if it stretches too much. But he didn't suggest that as an option we should all consider... Just a discussion point at an information evening.

This is my surgeons website, on which he says 85 to 90% of the stomach is removed: http://www.oclinic.com.au/weight-loss-solutions/gastric-sleeve.html. But I notice Wikipedia says 75% removed and "A Lighter Me" says somewhere between the two. Perhaps the doctors DownUnder are meaner???!!!!

SS,

Yep, fer sure they gotta be meaner to remove 85%. I guess they just want success at any cost. Bad enough you can barely eat much at 25% left, but 15% has got to be horrible torture. Is that what happened to you? Poor babe. :wacko: