Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

fit bit and other trackers

I loved my fitbit one. I miss my fitbit one! That little guy got lost after i had it for about 3 months :(

I have the fitbit flex, and I like it pretty well. It's not quite as extensive in what it reports as the BodyBugg/Bodymedia products, but for me, it's quite accurate in what it reports. The nice thing is it isn't terribly obtrusive with everyday clothes - just looks like another piece of random jewelry. It links to my Galaxy Note 2 via bluetooth, so I can check on my stats anytime. Plus, I have an Aria scale, so they both sync to the same dashboard at fitbit.com as well as myfitnesspal.com and trendweight.com (all the things I use for tracking, hehe).

The downside is that it needs to be recharged more often than the older fitbit devices - I used to be able to go 2 weeks between charges (or pretty much an entire vacation) with my old fitbit, but now I need to charge every 5-7 days or so. It's not a huge big deal, since I can charge it from my tablet if it's plugged in, but it's something I have to think about more often.

I have 2 complaints about the Bodymedia: 1 - it's not invisible, so I sometimes have to explain that thing I'm wearing (but that can be fun sometimes, because people think it's cool) and 2 - it's not waterproof, so I can't use it to measure calories I burn during a swim.

1 - You can stick the device (minus the strap, of course) inside your bra... in the band to the left of the left cup, and it tracks almost as well as in the strap on your arm. :)

2 - The new Core 2 will be waterproof - it's coming out in Fall 2013.

I love my BodyMedia Link. I also have the FitBit Ultra, but I like the BodyMedia Link so much better. The poor FitBit just sits all alone..

Hi all,

Are any of these devices able to only work with a mobile app. I currently only have an ipad to work with. Bodymedia says you need to have the computer to use it as well? Not sure about the fit it ones, so I thought I would check here.

Thanks

Hi all' date='

Are any of these devices able to only work with a mobile app. I currently only have an ipad to work with. Bodymedia says you need to have the computer to use it as well? Not sure about the fit it ones, so I thought I would check here.

Thanks[/quote']

The Fitbit Flex works with your iPad. You don't need to use a computer, although it does charge through a USB port.

1 - You can stick the device (minus the strap, of course) inside your bra... in the band to the left of the left cup, and it tracks almost as well as in the strap on your arm. :)

2 - The new Core 2 will be waterproof - it's coming out in Fall 2013.

I love my BodyMedia Link. I also have the FitBit Ultra, but I like the BodyMedia Link so much better. The poor FitBit just sits all alone..

1 - Thanks! I might try that trick if I wear something that I really don't want it to show! If I'm wearing something that it really bothers me that it shows, I'm likely going to be standing around trying to look pretty, anyway, so some moderately inaccurate measurements aren't going to be a big deal anyway.

2 - Those dirty birdies! I knew I would end up having a reason to buy a new one before the old one wore out!!! Ah, well, such is technology...

Thanks for the info!

I've had a FitBit flex for a few weeks and I love it! Heart rate monitor would be nice, but you're never going to get a decent reading from something on your wrist I don't think.

I bought the flex because I wanted something on a wrist band. I was also tempted by the Withings Pulse, but it wasn't out yet when I got my Flex. It does have an altimeter, which the flex doesn't, but it also doesn't appear to be designed to wear on your wrist all day like the Flex.

The Fitbit Flex works with your iPad. You don't need to use a computer, although it does charge through a USB port.

Just make sure your iPad is new enough. I have a 1st generation iPad and an iPhone 4 and neither will sync my flex. There are lists of supported devices on the fitbit page. I think it needs the iPad 3rd generation at least and iPhone 4S or newer. There are many android options.

I was unimpressed with the fitbit. I have used a Bodybugg for several years and just upgraded to the newer Bodymedia Link. It is a sensor that is worn on the back of your left arm with an armband. I'm extremely confident in the accuracy of the monitor (except for sleeping. It's way off for sleeping' date=' but I would expect anything would be off for me, because I have a sleeping disorder and I spend a lot of time reading in bed at night waiting to go to sleep.). It is a triple axis accelerometer with skin temperature, galvanic skin response, and heat flux sensors (just sounds sexy and technical, doesn't it?). I love the amount of data that it provides. I could tell you for any 6minute segment of the day how many calories/minute I was burning. I was using the bodybugg (which is basically just the older version) while I was really dedicated to weight loss and triathlon. The data, tracking, and interface helped me to lose 115 pounds. I knew every week what my weight loss was going to be based on my downloaded data and my food log long before I ever stepped on the scale.

I have 2 complaints about the Bodymedia: 1 - it's not invisible, so I sometimes have to explain that thing I'm wearing (but that can be fun sometimes, because people think it's cool) and 2 - it's not waterproof, so I can't use it to measure calories I burn during a swim.

MyFitnessPal interacts with the Bodymedia interface. You can link your accounts and use MFP to log your food if that's what you're comfortable with and it will be transferred to your Bodymedia interface so you can look at all your other data.

I can't say enough good things about the Bodymedia... but I guess I'm a bit of a geek...[/quote']

I just went online to get one and noticed there is a $6.95 monthly subscription fee! I'm not doing that! So if Bodymedia Link isn't an option anymore, what would come in a near 2nd?

So really the fit bit detects movement of the device, right? No actual sensors? I wonder how accurate it is. The bodymedia has a monthly subscription but has actual sensors on it? I'm interested in getting something like this but don't care to buy an upgraded pedometer!

So I decided to get the Bodymedia. They are having a sale right now on the website. I got the core (don't have a cool phone to sync with the LINK) and the dispay for $99! I can't wait until it comes in!

Does anyone use the fitbit scale? I've had a fitbit 1 for about 5 months and am considering getting one for my hubby and the scale.

I just went online to get one and noticed there is a $6.95 monthly subscription fee! I'm not doing that! So if Bodymedia Link isn't an option anymore, what would come in a near 2nd?

In my opinion? Nothing. It all depends on how much data and how accurate you want your device to be. I usually just buy service for a year at a time. It makes it more like $4/mo. There are a lot of people that aren't interested in the level of data that I am, and would be perfectly satisfied with a device that doesn't have sensors and doesn't require a subscription. I switched for a short time to the Weight Watchers device (can't recall the name right now) and was really really disappointed because I was used to so much more information than the WW device could provide.

So really the fit bit detects movement of the device, right? No actual sensors? I wonder how accurate it is. The bodymedia has a monthly subscription but has actual sensors on it? I'm interested in getting something like this but don't care to buy an upgraded pedometer!

Yes, essentially. The Bodymedia claims to be 90% accurate. I feel extremely comfortable with their claim based on my own experience. I've used the earlier versions since 2009 and have never ever felt led astray. I am totally with you on the upgraded pedometer!!!

There's no monthly fee required with the Flex. There's some kind of premium service you can pay for, but I'm not missing it, whatever it includes. I don't believe the Withings Pulse will require a monthly fee either.