Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband revision bmi 35

I had the band for 3.5 years. Getting revision may 2 at the Brigham in Boston I had smooth sailing with lapband recovery but I'm a bit tense for this. Any insights or thoughts. Are revision more apt for swelling. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I never had the lap band myself but there are several people in my support group that had the revision and were so glad they upgraded! They have said they feel so much better, little to no hunger compared to the lap band and that the sleeve was so much easier. Hope that helps! Best to you!!

I'm also revising from the band but not until May 31st! So you will know before I will. Lol. Congrats and good luck!

I've also had my band for 3 1/2 yrs! Oct 1, 2009 was my date. Last year I had a minor slip, which caused my dr to unfill my band by 1/2 (from 10cc to 5cc). In the process I gained 24 lbs. 2 weeks ago, I was in agony with abdominal pain and went to the ER. After the CT they determined that my band was herniated. They totally unfilled me and I have to have a revision. I decided against a 2nd band because:

*Stats show that when your band slips once, it's more likely to slip again

*I'm tired of vomiting all the time!

*Tired of reflux

*Tired of maintenance Have to drie 6 hrs round trip to get a fill/unfill and pay $160 each time

I'm so ready to have it done, but if I want it done in 1 surgery, I have to wait till the swelling goes down. So it'll probably be late June. So now I'm totally unfilled and grazing constantly. I have a 27 BMI (need to lose 30 more lbs) but know I can't do it on my own. Since it's a complication, Medicare is paying for it. Can't wait to have it done. So ot looking forward to the post op liquids only. Didn't do so well on it after my band. Cheated after a week. This time I'm determined that it's gunna work and I don't want to mess it up and get a leak, just because I couldn't follow the rules.

Good luck to you! Keep in touch. I'd like to find out how you're doing afterwards!

Thanks I will I have reflux and esophageal dilation totally unfilled for 2 months been doing weight watchers ti help I'm anxious a week from today will be day 1 post op

My revision was 4/11/13. What they found was that the stitches failed when the band was put in 3/05/12. I never had a working pouch, it was <1 cm from the esophagus and I vomited daily from when I moved from liquids to food at 2 months post band insertion. I had ulcers from the chronic vomiting visible on the upper endo prior to my revision surgery 2 weeks ago.

My pain has been significant. I am still on Lortab. Today is the first day I was not feeling fire stabbing in my abs to get out of bed. Pain IS decreasing, I have real nervous energy and my hunger is little to none. I did have a fever that went to 100.2 in the first week, labs came back normal. It was just my body reacting to the trauma of surgery and that I have an allergy to morphine which we discovered while I was in the hospital 2 days. I have dropped 11 lbs and 1 pant size already.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I feel so blessed to have not vomited since 4/09/13 after a year of it being my norm.

Had my band out in oct after almost three years. 10 days post op on sleeve. Majors jot difference! This one didn't seem as horrible as the first DVD do far i seem to be doing ok

I am one day post op revision all in one surgery. I feel like a million bucks. The first few minutes in recovery is very rough. I was very nauseous and in a LOT of pain. They got all of that under control quickly and it has been smooth sailing since then. I have had a few instances of reflux when burping and that has been my worst "complication" no nausea, very little discomfort ... I felt like a million bucks when they brought my Breakfast of broth, diluted apple juice, ice and Jello. I didn't touch the Jello but the rest was amazing. As of right now I'm feeling so confident about my decision and I already feel better with out the port.

post-18835-13813665042909_thumb.jpg

My revision was 4/11/13. What they found was that the stitches failed when the band was put in 3/05/12. I never had a working pouch, it was <1 cm from the esophagus and I vomited daily from when I moved from liquids to food at 2 months post band insertion. I had ulcers from the chronic vomiting visible on the upper endo prior to my revision surgery 2 weeks ago.

My pain has been significant. I am still on Lortab. Today is the first day I was not feeling fire stabbing in my abs to get out of bed. Pain IS decreasing, I have real nervous energy and my hunger is little to none. I did have a fever that went to 100.2 in the first week, labs came back normal. It was just my body reacting to the trauma of surgery and that I have an allergy to morphine which we discovered while I was in the hospital 2 days. I have dropped 11 lbs and 1 pant size already.

I am very surprised your doc did a same day revision with your past history. Docs wouldn't touch me until I was good and healed. They said without being healed was asking for complications and difficult recovery.

The MD that did the endo had me get on prilosec for the 1 month prior to the surgery to help heal the ulcers. My post care is extra conservative. My NUT recommended soft mushies from day 3. At the 2 week checkup, the MD told me to go back to liquids only for the next 2 weeks to allow that tissue in my stomach to heal thin and smooth. I have been on liquids for a year, what is another 2 weeks??

I am one day post op revision all in one surgery. I feel like a million bucks. The first few minutes in recovery is very rough. I was very nauseous and in a LOT of pain. They got all of that under control quickly and it has been smooth sailing since then. I have had a few instances of reflux when burping and that has been my worst "complication" no nausea' date=' very little discomfort ... I felt like a million bucks when they brought my Breakfast of broth, diluted apple juice, ice and Jello. I didn't touch the Jello but the rest was amazing. As of right now I'm feeling so confident about my decision and I already feel better with out the port.

[/quote']

Fabulous lets keep in touch I hope next Thursday I feel like you. May I ask why our band failed

Well... My band didn't really fail... I went from 278 to 214 and I was still losing a lb here and there but I didn't like all that came along with the band. I'm very active and every time I hiked or worked out my port was very sore. Also my band was very in consistent. One day I could eat a salad and the next I would not be able to get the same salad down. My band did not slip and I did not gain weight back but I never felt good with the band. Also my husband and I got married in September and I had a lot of concerns with getting pregnant with the band and the possibility of a prolapse or slippage during morning sickness. A few months ago I basically had my band unfilled and I decided the discomfort wasn't worth keeping the band in. So I had the band removed and the sleeve done to prevent weight gain per my surgeons advice.

Hi,

I haven't had my revision yet but I have had a revision of my port and then a revision of the entire band with plication. Each recovery was pretty much the same: nausea the day of surgery and abdominal pain but after that, pretty quick recovery - maybe a little sore and achey. I'm scheduled to revise to VSG in June so you'll know before me how band to sleeve revision goes :)

Take care,

Well... My band didn't really fail... I went from 278 to 214 and I was still losing a lb here and there but I didn't like all that came along with the band. I'm very active and every time I hiked or worked out my port was very sore. Also my band was very in consistent. One day I could eat a salad and the next I would not be able to get the same salad down. My band did not slip and I did not gain weight back but I never felt good with the band. Also my husband and I got married in September and I had a lot of concerns with getting pregnant with the band and the possibility of a prolapse or slippage during morning sickness. A few months ago I basically had my band unfilled and I decided the discomfort wasn't worth keeping the band in. So I had the band removed and the sleeve done to prevent weight gain per my surgeons advice.

Great. It gave me reflux and I'm a zumba teacher and I'm toned but weight not coming off stuck at 199. Went up to 213 I couldn't excercise now I'm back to 201 you have given me hope that it will be fine. My port bothers me when I'm working out too