Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories, Exercise, and Metabolism (long)

I damaged my BMR from doing a year of medically supervised Optifast. At the worst it was only 1300 as tested by the breathing machine. The doctor ordered a repeat test because he didn't believe it. I am hoping the sleeve combined with weight training will help. Metabolism is serious. I only lost 20 pounds from a year of eating less than 1000 calories a day.

You know, the more we discuss this, the more I am realizing there's more unknown than known. If we do all this to get healthy but we can't BE healthy (food and calorie levels) well, hmm. I know my BMR is messed up too. Years of yoyo and then sleeve, at 3 years out, I love the initial weight loss and have mostly maintained but I think my age ( 59) and the above mentioned has made it really difficult to just "be normal" and not gain. Have to be very, very careful of carbs, calories, never mind losing what I've regained (about 15 lbs). I wouldn't trade a thing and would do it again but know this will be a forever battle, too. ????

You know' date=' the more we discuss this, the more I am realizing there's more unknown than known. If we do all this to get healthy but we can't BE healthy (food and calorie levels) well, hmm. I know my BMR is messed up too. Years of yoyo and then sleeve, at 3 years out, I love the initial weight loss and have mostly maintained but I think my age ( 59) and the above mentioned has made it really difficult to just "be normal" and not gain. Have to be very, very careful of carbs, calories, never mind losing what I've regained (about 15 lbs). I wouldn't trade a thing and would do it again but know this will be a forever battle, too. dde04[/quote']

As far as I know, the only way to fix it is to build muscle mass. This means eating a lot of Protein and lifting weights. It will also help with bone density. Did you know that obese people have heavier skeletons because your bones build up under the stress? That's actually a good thing for us because it means we have a fighting chance against osteoporosis and brittle bones, as long as we maintain our bone health.

I damaged my BMR from doing a year of medically supervised Optifast. At the worst it was only 1300 as tested by the breathing machine. The doctor ordered a repeat test because he didn't believe it. I am hoping the sleeve combined with weight training will help. Metabolism is serious. I only lost 20 pounds from a year of eating less than 1000 calories a day.

Well fu** me! This makes me despair!

Well fu** me! This makes me despair!

I was told the way to get it back was serious strength training. I bought a full set of dumbbells but then had to travel for a month for work. I'm getting back to it this week.

By the way I have also been told, by my surgeon, that with the sleeve, your metabolism responds positively to a feeling of fullness. Full stomach = body doesn't get the signal to store fat but to burn it. Under-eating = store energy for the famine. I have read about this in relation to RNY too. It's the "metabolically active" part of these surgeries that banders don't get. It's not necessarily about calories, but about stomach distension, meaning pressure on the top part of the stomach. Not extreme but just enough.

I am still very new and shouldn't even be posting here but since you quoted me, I hope it's ok. I want to encourage you not to give up. I hope you find your answers soon even if it is an underlying issue that is holding you back.

I have seen a lot of vsg vets around on the web post about ways to increase caloric intake and many folks go for quality and caloric density as it is a challenge with quantity, which is fairly obvious considering our restrictive procedure. High quality cheeses, nuts, and bacon seem to be popular choices - as well as avocados, nut butters, etc. If you like your Protein Drinks, adding more liquid calories could be easier than denser forms of food if you simply stuffed to the gills all the time. There are a lot of Protein drinks out there with much higher calories than the one I drink (Premier) - this could help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches