Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Closet Eater....and I'm coming out!

I'm 4 months out, and doing pretty well in general. But I just had a visit from the demon from hell......the closet eater inner self! I have the house to myself, and for some reason, as soon as I realized it, the thing that came to my mind was "I wonder what I can eat?" I even started to think about was might be available before I realized what was going on. I was a closet eating grazer before surgery. Must be why my kids couldn't figure out why I was so heavy - I was super effective at it. Anyway, I've been a model post VSG citizen, and I have not grazed at all, but I could. I knew this day would come, and I know it will again. I think grazing is more than just a habit, so changing my habits isn't going to fix this one. It's going to take a lot of will power to fight it. I'm interested in how others conquer this one?

Um your scaring me . I thought your not supposed to be hungry because they take out the part of the stomach that triggers the hunger But i havent had the surgery and am totally a novice . i am waiting for a date hopefuly in May. The only advice I can offer is look at how much weight you have lost in such a short time. I pray I can come close. Thats an awesome acomplishment!! You should be so proud of yourself. So when that demon shows his ugly head, go look at yourself in the mirror . Look at what you did. Look at your hard work , and your looking good . Dont let it take that away from you. Good luck dont give your demon life , ignore him!!!

I can understand what your going through but I think this time you won't get that same satisfaction from grazing. For one thing just try to make sure you have a high Protein meal first, then allow yourself to indulge in something very small. That way you'll get the best of both worlds, a little indulgence without all the guilt. If you allow yourself these little indulgences every now and again I think it will become easier when your home alone not to scarf everything you can get down your throat. Now I know that there are many people on here who will not agree with me, but just wanted you to know your normal and it's ok to feel like this sometime :) cheers

Recognizing the problem is a big step. The next big step is to figure out what the trigger is. What makes you start wanting to graze? Is is boredom? Then find something to keep you occupied (exercise works wonders for this). Stress? (Take up yoga or deep relaxation techniques, I listen to Jazz under the headphones). Emotional issues? Learn to cope or eliminate the source of the emotional toil. Another thing that I have found helpful is to eat 4-5 small meals throughout the day. I set alarms on my phone and I eat when the alarm goes off. Doesn't have to be anything more than a cheese stick. Sort of a Pavlovian response, but I don't get hungry and I don't graze. It is part of a mental retraining that works really well. I was a grazer and a stress eater, but I've used these techniques to help me through a lot. Good Luck!

Um your scaring me . I thought your not supposed to be hungry because they take out the part of the stomach that triggers the hunger But i havent had the surgery and am totally a novice

Unfortunately this is an urban myth For the first few months, you won't be hungry at all. Then slowly but surely you do start to feel hungry. I'm not talking about head hunger, but you will really know when you need to eat.

eeeew that kind of sucks . So much for trying to be informed. Thank you for that usefull information.

Um your scaring me . I thought your not supposed to be hungry because they take out the part of the stomach that triggers the hunger But i havent had the surgery and am totally a novice . i am waiting for a date hopefuly in May. The only advice I can offer is look at how much weight you have lost in such a short time. I pray I can come close. Thats an awesome acomplishment!! You should be so proud of yourself. So when that demon shows his ugly head' date=' go look at yourself in the mirror . Look at what you did. Look at your hard work , and your looking good . Dont let it take that away from you. Good luck dont give your demon life , ignore him!!![/quote']

You're thinking of ghrelin hormone. It definitely helps, but it doesn't eliminate "head hunger" which is even more powerful than physical hunger. It's our bad habits and food addiction at its worse.

"They're operating on your stomach, not your brain." I've read that phrase so many times on VST. It's true.

The hunger elimination is now an official "VSG Urban Legend".

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery.

Unfortunately this is an urban myth For the first few months' date=' you won't be hungry at all. Then slowly but surely you do start to feel hungry. I'm not talking about head hunger, but you will really know when you need to eat.[/quote']

Head hunger is there all along. It has invaded my dreams...

I'm 4 months out' date=' and doing pretty well in general. But I just had a visit from the demon from hell......the closet eater inner self! I have the house to myself, and for some reason, as soon as I realized it, the thing that came to my mind was "I wonder what I can eat?" I even started to think about was might be available before I realized what was going on. I was a closet eating grazer before surgery. Must be why my kids couldn't figure out why I was so heavy - I was super effective at it. Anyway, I've been a model post VSG citizen, and I have not grazed at all, but I could. I knew this day would come, and I know it will again. I think grazing is more than just a habit, so changing my habits isn't going to fix this one. It's going to take a lot of will power to fight it. I'm interested in how others conquer this one?[/quote']

I agree that it says a lot about your excellent progress that you identified it right away. That's the first and most important thing. Stay strong!!! :-)

Recognizing the problem is a big step. The next big step is to figure out what the trigger is. What makes you start wanting to graze? Is is boredom? Then find something to keep you occupied (exercise works wonders for this). Stress? (Take up yoga or deep relaxation techniques, I listen to Jazz under the headphones). Emotional issues? Learn to cope or eliminate the source of the emotional toil. Another thing that I have found helpful is to eat 4-5 small meals throughout the day. I set alarms on my phone and I eat when the alarm goes off. Doesn't have to be anything more than a cheese stick. Sort of a Pavlovian response, but I don't get hungry and I don't graze. It is part of a mental retraining that works really well. I was a grazer and a stress eater, but I've used these techniques to help me through a lot. Good Luck!

Very good advice, thanks. For me, the trigger was home alone in the house. And I AM like a Pavlovian dog! Empty house = Eat. I wasn't hungry, stressed, emotional, or bored. I'm sure hoping the mental retraining can work for me, too. I got up off the computer and did a little housework for a few minutes to distract myself. I don't graze either, but like I said, I could, and I don't think I'm cured of the Pavlovian response I have. This particular trigger, on this day, really wasn't that hard to overcome, but I know sometimes it can be, so I wanted to know how others handle it. I used to be a stress eater, and I do use exercise to help with that, and I'm totally shocked at how well it works, lol! I might try the alarm thing, seems like a good idea.

I agree that it says a lot about your excellent progress that you identified it right away. That's the first and most important thing. Stay strong!!! :-)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think that's great advice, and really the truth of the matter - "Stay Strong". Doing that on a daily basis will help with retraining. I still think it's demonic, though ;)

Very good advice' date=' thanks. For me, the trigger was home alone in the house. And I AM like a Pavlovian dog! Empty house = Eat. I wasn't hungry, stressed, emotional, or bored. I'm sure hoping the mental retraining can work for me, too. I got up off the computer and did a little housework for a few minutes to distract myself. I don't graze either, but like I said, I could, and I don't think I'm cured of the Pavlovian response I have. This particular trigger, on this day, really wasn't that hard to overcome, but I know sometimes it can be, so I wanted to know how others handle it. I used to be a stress eater, and I do use exercise to help with that, and I'm totally shocked at how well it works, lol! I might try the alarm thing, seems like a good idea.[/quote']

It will be 8 years this July since I quit smoking. However, in the Summer if I'm on the phone, drinking iced tea, and decide to take the conversation outside to enjoy the evening - I get an instant urge for a cigarette. That's the only time. It's fleeting, but its big and real.

I totally get the Pavlovian trigger. That's how to ring my bell. :-/

I manage that pavlovian urge by allowing myself a little bit of whatever my trigger food is/was. I am still addicted to Cheetos, so I allow myself one small, single serving bag once a month. I don't put it on my phone, but I know the date I'm allowed to have them without having to look at the calendar. This month, I allowed myself the Cheetos on the 13th because I was working on my taxes. Some months I go right past the date without thinking about them now. I'm so OCD that this works for me. It might not work for anyone else in the world. :)

The good news is that you will be full very quickly with a small amount of food. Keep some low fat cheese sticks, sugar free ice pops, individual portions of apple sauce, etc on hand. That way if you are grazing, you're not taking in all that many calories.

Um your scaring me . I thought your not supposed to be hungry because they take out the part of the stomach that triggers the hunger But i havent had the surgery and am totally a novice . i am waiting for a date hopefuly in May. The only advice I can offer is look at how much weight you have lost in such a short time. I pray I can come close. Thats an awesome acomplishment!! You should be so proud of yourself. So when that demon shows his ugly head, go look at yourself in the mirror . Look at what you did. Look at your hard work , and your looking good . Dont let it take that away from you. Good luck dont give your demon life , ignore him!!!

Physical hunger is WAY different than 'head hunger' and cravings. The physical hunger is less (I still have some, but only when it's REALLY time for a meal) but the cravings and head hunger are certainly still there and are very fearsome competition to reasoning.