Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extended release anti-depressants

Sorry to hear, AC. I'm assuming your xr pills were tablet instead of capsule. Hang in there, this is temporary - you will be back on track soon!

Yes, they were tablets instead of capsule.

I'm trying. I had pain in my stomach today and my anxiety was through the roof, I was crying non stopped. Just worried something was wrong because I hadn't had pain like since a couple of days after surgery.

My bariatric program nurse told us to switch OFF of XR to regular psych meds. I feel less depressed on them and wt loss is going well. Regular Effexor tastes nasty. So, I bought empty gel capsules and stuff one pill into half the capsule.

Hey K33, did she say why?? I understand the need to get off the XR tablets but I don't know why the XR capsules would need to be changed. I'm wondering if they are somehow not as effective. Although I think they are absorbed in our intestines not our stomachs?

Edited by healthbound1

I am still taking my capsule... Now that I'm past having to crush pills. Agreed. Effexor is very bitter, I had to pour it over yogurt to offset the taste.

Those of you taking capsules, were you able to take them following surgery without interruption?

I'm on Effexor xr and was able to take them without interruption. I just opened the capsule and poured the contents in my mouth and swallowed with Water :)

Hasn't made a difference for me.

I'm on Effexor xr and was able to take them without interruption. I just opened the capsule and poured the contents in my mouth and swallowed with Water :)

Healthbound, how come you didn't just swallow the capsule?

Sorry for the delayed response. I didn't swallow the capsule at first because it was too big right after surgery. You can only take tiny sips of Water at first because everything is so swollen. I think I started the capsules again a week after surgery.

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. I was on Effexor for 8 years and a couple of months ago it just stopped working. So I'm not on anything right now and having terrible anxiety attacks - about everything, work, home, getting ready for surgery - YIKES. Going back to dr. next week to see if there isn't some new anti-depressant I can take. I'm getting sleeved in August, and I've been wondering what to do about all the pills I take. The only one I know I'm going to be comfortable with is my thyroid med, its just a tiny thing.

Wow! I had to switch my Wellburtin XL 300 mg to now taking 3 100 mg twice daily. I am struggling. My anixity is through the roof some days/nights.

I just switched to the same. My surgery is the 29th of may. Do you notice a difference between the XR and the 3x 100mg daily? This is one of my biggest concerns post surgery.

I made it through surgery and never stopped taking my cymbalta capsules, so I'm not sure what the deal is with taking liquid meds only. Now it's possible that I'm not absorbing the medication as well as I used to, but although I have been a little depressed and weepy, I am not sure if that's because of the surgery and dealing with no food, or if it's because I'm not getting adequate anti-depressants. Time will tell, I guess.

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows of any problems with the extended release anti-depressants after VSG. I'm not really good with medical/pharmaceutical terminology but my concern is basically that the extended release tablets keep the medicine going for a lot longer than the non extended release meds. I don't know with such a small stomach pouch if it will cause it to not release as well or release too quickly. Anyone have any experience?

Doc hasn't said anything about not being able to take my meds. I definitely can't see going through this experience without them

Took them for years. I think they will work fine. Remeber your food makes it to the blood stream in the small intestine. Try a google search.

Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm taking 262.5mg Effexor XR and have been falling back in to a depression again over the past two months. I am 8 months out of surgery and am wondering if the pills are not asorbing as they should because of my smaller stomach. I also have been taking them in the morning with a Protein shake instead of with food and wondered if this maybe moved them through my system differently or faster.

Anyone have any similar experiences or insights?