Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All. I am new here, and new to this idea of lab banding. My wife recieved the roux en y procedure two years ago and has had good luck.

She says that this is the way she would have went if she had the lap band option back then.

Me? I'm researching, just starting the process to get surgery. I'll get either the roux en y or the lap banc, just gotta choose between the two.

I'm hoping to learn enough about the lapband on this forum to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks, and good luck to all.

Get Jessie Ahroni's book from Amazon.com

Here is the link: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0595311148/102-8263312-9040100?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance]Amazon.com: Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery: Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.: Books[/ame]

Great book for people thinking about the LAP BAND. I personally did research into both procedures and elected for the band because it was reversible and had less complications.

You can go to the makers of the lap band (Inamed) and learn more about it too. I had my band done 10 1/2 weeks ago and am down 46 lbs and haven't had any real problems. It has come off rather easily. I think the surgery is by far less invasive than the RNY and people have been very good at achieving weight loss and meeting goals with the band. I find living the band life and being successful is a LOT easier than dieting preband BUT the weight doesn't just fall right off like the bypass people either. It does take a little effort and tenacity. You will learn a lot about the process and our daily post band lives too at this sight. I am glad to see your giving every option consideration and researching it. Please come back here frequently. It was very nice to meet you. Teresa

IHi WhippleDaddy,

I was once in the same place as you are now. My sister had the RNY and was very happy with the results but I was still not sold on it. I ultimately chose the band because....

1. My gastrointestinal system would remain intact.

2. THere would be no malabsorption or any of the future worries that go along with that.

3. THere was less risk for post-operative complications.

4. The recovery time was shorter. (It took my sister 6 weeks to feel human... I was up working on our cabin after 2 wks)

5. THere is really now "window of opportunity" with the band... it is adjustable to your weight-loss needs over time.

6. It is reversible and removable.

7. The weight-loss is slower... hopefully giving my mind and my skin the chance adjust to the change.

8. My husband and daughter were supportive of the banding due to the decreased risks involved and I was unwilling to chance the comlications that can accompany the RNY.

Those were my reasons... hope that is helpful for you. I was just banded June 30th and so far so good! Good luck with whichever path you choose!

Darcy

Hi Whippledaddy! What does your name stand for? I ditto everything that's been said. While I was in pre-op for my band, a surgical RN nurse that I knew came over to wish me luck. She had vertical banding done 3 years ago. She had gained back a large chunk of her weight. I remember thinking, just before they put me to sleep, that I was so glad that I chose the band. I haven't changed my mind yet!

Hi Whippleddaddy

I concur with the reasons above for chosing the band over the bypass.

Jessi's book is a good read for anyone considering to have surgery, I too reccomend getting that.

What questions do you have that we can answer for you?

With all of us crazy women I'm sure we can give you all the info you need to let you make an informed choice with the band.

Seriously though...any questions you have about the band just post em and you will get lots of valuable info.

Good Luck on your decision

Marie, you reminded me of my surgery. The anesthisologist was holding my hand getting ready to put me under, and a sudden panic went through my body to where I could barely breathe, but it wasn't because I was scared, it was because I ALMOST had a bypass done. Before I decided on the band, I went to a seminar of band vs. bypass. I chose band, but my insurance won't cover a band. But my insurance covers gastric bypass. So I was going through the pre-authorization phase and heading towards bypass. Then Karen, who lost 70 pounds with her band, came to my house and met with me and my husband. At that point, my husband told me to go find someone that will give us credit so I could get a band instead. So that's what raced through my mind right before I was put to sleep - the fear that I almost got the bypass... it was panic over the bypass mixed with relief that I was getting the band. I couldn't get to surgery fast enough. I didn't have any surgery anxiety whatsoever, just a bunch of excitement.

My girlfriend had the gastric bypass about 4 years ago and until I learned about the band I wouldn't even consider it. I ditto everything that everyone else had said. My recovery (I think I am a quick healer) was fairly easy. I was up and walking the same day and feeling great by week two! Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Yes, Rica, good point! Walk! Walk! Walk! I was the only patient that was out walking the hospital halls. But I had gotten pneumonia once from lying still after a surgery. I wasn't going to do that one again!

Lisa, I actually signed the form to proceed with the bypass. My surgeon said they would submit it in four days. My husband and I talked it over and really were scared of the bypass. At that point, I just wanted to lose the weight so badly that I was willing to do anything. Fortunately, I came to my senses and decided on the band.

Originally posted by New Hope

Lisa, I actually signed the form to proceed with the bypass. My surgeon said they would submit it in four days. My husband and I talked it over and really were scared of the bypass. At that point, I just wanted to lose the weight so badly that I was willing to do anything. Fortunately, I came to my senses and decided on the band.

In 1983, I was 23 yrs old and had gone from about 118 at age 19, to 234 by 23. I did go through the whole process of getting ready for bypass, even checked into the hospital and had the wonderful 'candlelight dinner' with my spouse the night before. I also stepped into another patient's room who had been cut open from stem to stern and I just could not see my young body dissected like that. I rounded up my things, apologized to everyone and took myself out of there the night before.

I've often wondered what might have happened, or if I would have lost and gained it back by now as I had seen others do. But, I have never really regretted backing out.

The two doctors in Vegas that do bypass and band surgeries require a seminar. They make both surgeries sound like a snap. I'm so glad I didn't get the bypass, but if my band goes south one day, it might be my only option. At least now they do it laproscopically... I wonder if they'd use my band incisions. Hey, why are you people letting me talk this way? Coo coo, coo coo.

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. This is a big decision and your replies have gone a long way to help me decide.

In answer to one question "Whippledaddy" is my name because of my fifteen year old dog, Mr. Whipple, I am so proud to be his daddy that I chose that name. He embodies so many qualities I wish I had:

He's overjoyed to see a friend, he can't contain his excitement. He loves me and my wife unconditionally (even when we aren't so pleasant to be around). He takes enormous pleasure in a ray of sunlight, or a gentle day. A backscratch or a tummy rub makes his whole day.

I should view life through his happy eyes.

One reply in particular is swaying me toward getting the band. That there is no "Window of Opportunity", the band can be adjusted and used forever. I know of three people who have gained the weight back after r en Y.

One thing that I need to research is the possibility of my own body fluids leaching into the band, tube and port, creating an environment for harmful bacteria to thrive. I know it happens with breast implants which are, after all, silicone filled with saline. Just a point I need to resolve, either way, I am moving forward.

Thanks again, I'll visit often, post when I can, and I know I am fortunate to have found this place and this warm caring set of people.

Whippledaddy, aren't dogs the greatest? They love you unconditionally, are always happy to see you, never in a bad mood, always have plenty of time for you. Wow, we could learn a lot from them, couldn't we?

A man who loves dogs fits right in my heart.

My husband works in the heat (it's 110 here today.) So he freezed the house with the air conditioning. I woke up frozen at 3:00 a.m., because my dog clawed our blankets onto the floor to make a little nest for herself. Instead of yanking my covers back, I couldn't resist crawling on the floor with her. Dogs are amazing little people, I agree.