Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings from a New Member, soon to be sleeved

Hello Fellow Members,

I just joined the group today, and my VSG date is set for May 9. Right now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and nervous, getting ready for the pre-surgical appointments and preparing to shop for the "liver shrinking diet" supplies. I plan to do the pre-surgical diet for about 3 weeks, as opposed to the 2 required.

A little about me ... I'm 54, female, and I teach English at a community college. I've been struggling with obesity for a long time, but especially for the past 12 years. I've probably lost and gained at least 500 pounds in my life. Surgery wouldn't have been my first choice, but I can't do this any more. My family (husband and 2 sons) are supportive overall but probably somewhat baffled about the whole thing. None of them have serious weight issues.

I decided to do this on the night of Thanksgiving this past year, when I got very sick (brought on by overeating!) and had an episode of severe leg pain. It may have been aggravated by a pulled muscle in my back from gardening that afternoon; or possibly it was something related to diabetes. All I know is, it was a wake-up call to be driven to the emergency room at 5 a.m. feeling helpless, sick, and out of control, barely able to walk. After the holidays and a family vacation, I attended a free seminar on bariatric surgeries and decided to pursue a VSG. Between February and now I've gone through preliminaries -- psychological and nutritional evaluations, physicals, and instructional meetings. Insurance approval isn't an issue -- I'm paying for this on my own. Right after I decided to have the VSG (in February) I started having terrible nightmares. I'm past that now, have been working on my overall health, trying to exercise more, and trying to prepare for the big lifestyle change.

The information I have found online related to VSG has been the most helpful element in my journey so far. I've watched surgeries and reviewed many testimonials. Joining this forum will, I hope, help me to feel a bit less lonely and frightened in this journey. And who knows? Perhaps eventually I can help others as well. My dream is to be 100 pounds lighter a year from now. I know it will require a lot of focus, energy, and hard work; but from everything I've read and heard, the VSG is a great tool for success. So, here's to my new start.

I look forward to getting to know some of you via this forum and reading your stories.

Hello, NewStarter, and welcome!

I'm also pre-sleeve, although my surgery won't be until mid-summer, most likely.

I've been hanging out around these forums for a year now, and I can te you that you'll receive lots of support here if you want it.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

Hi, Newstarter -- I'm fairly new, too. I lurked in here for about a month before joining in. My sleeve won't happen until July. My info won't get submitted to ins. until the middle of May.

I have learned so much from everyone on here. I feel ready to accept the good and the bad.

My dietician gave me some guidelines to follow in Dec. I have lost 16 lbs. by mostly sticking to the plan.

I'm about to order some Protein samples to try. I do understand from others in here that my tastes may change post-surgery. See, I'm learning! Good luck with your surgery. I'll look for your posts in here.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Welcome! I'm 6 weeks out no complications and down 35 lbs since surgery. First three days hard. You need to realize you will be eating small and healthy but weight will melt off of you. I wish u all the best!!

Newstarter. I live in seattle and had my surgery on feb 21. I'm 7 weeks out. I did a 2 week low carb per diet. I weighed 258. Lost ten on preop. I was terrified of surgery. Seriously panicking. But it went well. The hardest part of all of this was the first 2 days. When I awoke from surgery. The incisions are not what hurt. What hurt was the horrible gas pains in chest. I could get up and walk fine. I was surprised that when I woke up. I could drink just fine. I thought. Gee. Did they even cut anything off my stomach. I stayed night in hospital. My choice. I self paid. And I was happy I chose to stay. As the ivs kept me super hydrated. And pain meds in I'v helped. The next few days. I could drink liquid and Soups fine. About day 5. I felt like all the gas was over. And every day after that. It got better and better. Something I'd like to warn you about. Was when I came home from surgery. I was up 10 lbs ! Ugh I was depressed. Nurse says. Huney. We pumped 8 I'v bags in you. It dropped off fast. Mostly sweating at night. I'd wake up soaked and change night gown. So don't get bummed if u r up. I the averaged a lb a day till I was down 15 on day 15. Then it stalled. I'm down 37 now. Ten was preop. I'd love to cut anytime

Chat. Not cut lol