Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why didn't you just go to gym instead of getting surgery....

Why why why, for the love of God, must people ask such stupid questions?!?!?!?!!!! Hello, if I could have just "gone to the gym" to solve all my weight issues don't you think I would have done that instead of having major surgery. Gees, think before you speak PLEASE.

*rant over*

Sleeve Date: March 28, 2013 Weight on surgery date: 281 First Goal 50lbs: July 13, 2013 (231)

I work in the medical field and I am asked that all the time...... Gezzzz people. I say walk a day in my shoe before you ask stupid question

I am a nurse, and I am lucky. My coworkers have been completely supportive. Sorry that you had that happen.

Why didn't you just go to gym instead of getting surgery....

Why why why' date=' for the love of God, must people ask such stupid questions?!?!?!?!!!! Hello, if I could have just "gone to the gym" to solve all my weight issues don't you think I would have done that instead of having major surgery. Gees, think before you speak PLEASE.

*rant over*

Sleeve Date: March 28, 2013 Weight on surgery date: 281 First Goal 50lbs: July 13, 2013 (231)[/quote']

Yes some people just have no clue. I'm sorry you had to go through that

And it was from someone I consider to be a very close friend. But that is the main reason I decided not to tell many people. Thanks to other friends who knew and family, it seems like everyone already knows. Do people not realize if I wanted it blast everywhere I would be the one shouting it from the rooftops? Don't post on my Facebook wall "hope your surgery goes well". Now I have everyone saying, what surgery did you have. Why didn't you tell me. Are you ok?... I feel like saying, no, I'm dying, iv only got 3 weeks to live, now leave me alone. Lol. Sometimes people only understand rude.

Sleeve Date: March 28, 2013 Weight on surgery date: 281 First Goal 50lbs: July 13, 2013 (231)

I went to the gym many times lost a lot of weight injured myself or was working 16 hours a day and couldn't exercise and gained it all back plus more. If the people who made those stupid remarks knew how difficult and disciplined we have to be after surgery maybe they might not be so insensitive. Let them do our pre-op and post-op diet and see how "easy" it really is to stick without cheating.

Better yet, let them not do it for a few weeks, but for life and see what they have to say.

I heard this a lot before I had surgery. I didn't tell anyone about having it though...so I haven't had this asked since I have lost weight. What I do get all the time is asked how I lost the weight....what's my secret? I tell them most of the truth....I eat way less...I follow the Atkins diet, and I work out a lot. :)

And it was from someone I consider to be a very close friend. But that is the main reason I decided not to tell many people. Thanks to other friends who knew and family, it seems like everyone already knows. Do people not realize if I wanted it blast everywhere I would be the one shouting it from the rooftops? Don't post on my Facebook wall "hope your surgery goes well". Now I have everyone saying, what surgery did you have. Why didn't you tell me. Are you ok?... I feel like saying, no, I'm dying, iv only got 3 weeks to live, now leave me alone. Lol. Sometimes people only understand rude.

I had the same thing happen with others telling my story. Only told a handful of people, telling them that I wasn't telling others, and I'm pretty sure ALL of them told other people. I live in a small town, so now you never know who knows....but I'm still sticking to my story about eating less and exercising. It makes me question my judgement about other people, or my judgement in general, thinking people can keep their mouths shut, lol. That facebook thing is over the top, for sure...sorry you are going through that! Now if a newbie on here asks, I always advise tell NO ONE except your significant other unless you are prepared for people to know who you didn't want to know.

I haven't told anyone other than my immediate family. I am out on long term disability due to extensive neurosurgery prior to my sleeve surgery and have some noticeable weight loss. I tell people who ask that I eat less and needed to lose weight due to my previous surgery.

I took the complete opposite approach and have told everyone who wanted to listen (even managed to bore various shops assistants with my story!) . I probably have been too much of an open book and the responses are varied but to be honest even though there have been some negative comments, I couldn't really care less. I am in the healthy BMI now and feel and look great - not many people say I shouldn't have done it when they see me!

I am much like Sue, I tell anyone who asks what my real secret is. I don't think it's fair to leave out the surgery portion of the secret, but then Im a million percent honest out of fear of screwing up if I lie LOL I originally was not going to tell people at all, even my closest friends, but I thank god that I did because they would have been really hurt to find out the hard way, while I was doing the helicoptor transfer to the hospital or something. Their support when things went horribly wrong was beyond amazing and I'm not sure if they'd have felt so good about providing that support if I'd have kept the secret.

I'm almost six months out now and I still tell many people, but occasionally if it's not someone I know well or maybe someone I see very rarely I just say "it was about time to lose the baby weight" (My son is 7). And laugh it off. If I'm pressed on my secret though I tell the truth. I don't care if someone is judgemental at all, they have a right to their opinion, but again, I also don't want to live in a web of fibs and omissions...in the long run that's just too hard to do IMO.

As to the stupid "join the gym" comments LOL Darling I would have said just what you wrote here. 100% open and honest is so much easier of a come back to that kind of response than anything else can be.

I deeply regret my surgery and wish I'd have joined a gym so when I get a response like that I agree it would have been a better option. It's not for everyone though and it's totally fair to bat back with a "Do you think I didn't try that approach" when it's tossed at you.

I will say, that like Sue, with almost all of the weight gone it's hard for people to argue my surgery was not a successful weight loss program so those comments rarely come my way. Success is hard to combat :)

I have also told everyone. I felt the support from my coworkers and friends will be a huge part of change and.growing or shrinking hehe..... I can handle a few negative comments that come with hundreds of Nice things out way the bad stuff. I am glad I.have done this!!!!

I am much like Sue, I tell anyone who asks what my real secret is. I don't think it's fair to leave out the surgery portion of the secret, but then Im a million percent honest out of fear of screwing up if I lie LOL I originally was not going to tell people at all, even my closest friends, but I thank god that I did because they would have been really hurt to find out the hard way, while I was doing the helicoptor transfer to the hospital or something. Their support when things went horribly wrong was beyond amazing and I'm not sure if they'd have felt so good about providing that support if I'd have kept the secret.

I'm almost six months out now and I still tell many people, but occasionally if it's not someone I know well or maybe someone I see very rarely I just say "it was about time to lose the baby weight" (My son is 7). And laugh it off. If I'm pressed on my secret though I tell the truth. I don't care if someone is judgemental at all, they have a right to their opinion, but again, I also don't want to live in a web of fibs and omissions...in the long run that's just too hard to do IMO.

As to the stupid "join the gym" comments LOL Darling I would have said just what you wrote here. 100% open and honest is so much easier of a come back to that kind of response than anything else can be.

I deeply regret my surgery and wish I'd have joined a gym so when I get a response like that I agree it would have been a better option. It's not for everyone though and it's totally fair to bat back with a "Do you think I didn't try that approach" when it's tossed at you.

I will say, that like Sue, with almost all of the weight gone it's hard for people to argue my surgery was not a successful weight loss program so those comments rarely come my way. Success is hard to combat :)

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with your surgery, whatever it might have been. I can say that for several months I regretted it to, because it took me a while to get the hang of it (eating and drinking) I am very stubborn and would always believe I could have that last bite, and would usually end up throwing up or feeling horrible! Now that I am a year and 8 months post op I have this shiznet down! I feel completely normal when it comes to eating again, except for now I have control, and can only eat like a small child. I truly hope it gets better and better for you too...like it did for me! Good luck!! :)

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with your surgery' date=' whatever it might have been. I can say that for several months I regretted it to, because it took me a while to get the hang of it (eating and drinking) I am very stubborn and would always believe I could have that last bite, and would usually end up throwing up or feeling horrible! Now that I am a year and 8 months post op I have this shiznet down! I feel completely normal when it comes to eating again, except for now I have control, and can only eat like a small child. I truly hope it gets better and better for you too...like it did for me! Good luck!! :)[/quote']

Aren't you a sweetie :) Thanks for the kind thoughts! Really :)

I had massive complications that almost killed me and left me with damaged lungs and a stomach that is too small to allow me to take in enough calories to survive (scar tissue build up caused an already questionably small stomach to be even smaller). Long term I will be on a feeding tube for life if my volume does not increase, and that's unlikely, though we're doing our best to get to where I need to be. My son was eating more than what I can consume now when he was almost 2 (I remember because he had a feeding disorder and we had to weigh and measure his food for hospital at that age).

I'm glad you've had success :) This surgery can be a great thing and is for most, sadly it's just not that way for all of us.

Hi Iggychic - I am so sorry to hear what you have been through and what you are still going through with the feeding tube. I am hopeful that you may eventually be able to get off that as time passes. You sound like a very grounded person so I am sure you have and will still investigate your options going forward. It makes me sad but I completely understand that you regret the surgery - I must say that you do look really great and healthy in your photo so I hope you keep going from strength to strength!

All the best for your continued journey and challenges - I really hope you get some improvement over time and I will be sending positive thoughts your way!