Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and disappointed

I was all set to have my surgery scheduled, insurance approved w/out requiring a medically supervised diet, but my Surgeon said he wants me to complete a 3 month medically supervised diet. I just want to get my new life started! I also had it planned that I would have the surgery after my kids got out of school for the summer, but now it will probably not happen that way :(

The preop diet will help shrink the internal fat in your abdomen as well as shrink your liver. This will make it easier for your surgeon to see and perform your surgery. This will also mean less time in the operating room if they can operate without your liver in the way and that means less anesthesia time. It all is to your benefit. Talk to your surgeon again and see if they will compromise on the length of your preop diet. Be sure to tell them why it is important to you. Remember if they insist on the 3 months that it is for your benefit. Put yourself first. Good luck to you.

Don't be disappointed. I started my journey with my first consult at the Surgeons back in August 2012. I did not have the surgery till 1/2/2013. I too had to do all the Dr/Ins requirements before surgery. When I was told that I was a bummed. But it actually worked out great, I learned a lot from all the classes, and my NUT was great. I still eat my food as she showed me. and its working.. I also took the time to make sure this is what I wanted.. Lots of Thinking.. and then before I knew it my surgery date was here. And its been a new lease on life for me. Love my sleeve, and would not change a thing. Take this time to prepare for a new life that is looming ahead of you. It will be here before you know it.. Enjoy the time to prepare, as I did.. You will do great.. Good Luck

Thank you both :) I meet with the nutritionist on Tuesday and will see if can compromise on the medically supervised duet time.

The encouraging words are a great relief, thanks again :)

I started the process in September of 2012...and I still don't have a surgery date!!! Lol, my ins required 6 months of supervised weight loss attempts with a pcp! So don't feel bad, ur not the only one who's been getting the run-around!!!

Don't feel bad. A lot of us have to do 6 months

Don't feel bad. A lot of us have to do 6 months

Yea, I know, lol! I've actually taken this time to talk with my therapist and address my lingering issues so that I never make it to this weight again. And I would encourage anyone who has to mandatory weight loss attempts, or even people who don't! Lol, you'll be surprised with what u learn about urself!!!

My timeline was 6 months and I ended up taking a whole year to get ready due to working two jobs, and getting organized. It went really fast and I was comfortable and ready when surgery day came!!

Yea, I know, lol! I've actually taken this time to talk with my therapist and address my lingering issues so that I never make it to this weight again. And I would encourage anyone who has to mandatory weight loss attempts, or even people who don't! Lol, you'll be surprised with what u learn about urself!!!

im not a emotional eater I just eat because it taste so good and ill try to eat everything on my plate. Since my stomach is so big if I portion it out ill graze vs if I eat a big meal ill be good for 5+ hours

I was all set to have my surgery scheduled, insurance approved w/out requiring a medically supervised diet, but my Surgeon said he wants me to complete a 3 month medically supervised diet. I just want to get my new life started! I also had it planned that I would have the surgery after my kids got out of school for the summer, but now it will probably not happen that way :(

I always thought this was stupid. If diets worked why are we here? Over 90% people fail. So why do this. Here in VA I was able to be sleeved in 3 weeks once I made my appointment. I feel sorry for you. Wish you the best. I always wondered if you lose weight do they cancel your sleeve? If so why?

Hey guys im here in houston ,i was sleeved 3/11/13 and I had the 6 month process with the nut I was so frustrated and thought this would never happen,then how crazy is this I was scheduled to have my sleeve 3/5/13 and the day before my surgery my surgeons head nurse called.and told me the insurance company put me as outpatient instead of inpatient.so they had to reschedule me to 3/11/13 so the medical director could change my case,i was so upset another week of the horrible liquid diet...but u know this was the best thing ever I weighed 371lbs 1 month before my initial liquid diet and as of today 4/1/13 I am 327.4 just have faith my love u will be fine good luck honey..

post-55386-13813664360848_thumb.png

post-55386-13813664361319_thumb.jpg

Hey guys im here in houston ' date='i was sleeved 3/11/13 and I had the 6 month process with the nut I was so frustrated and thought this would never happen,then how crazy is this I was scheduled to have my sleeve 3/5/13 and the day before my surgery my surgeons head nurse called.and told me the insurance company put me as outpatient instead of inpatient.so they had to reschedule me to 3/11/13 so the medical director could change my case,i was so upset another week of the horrible liquid diet...but u know this was the best thing ever I weighed 371lbs 1 month before my initial liquid diet and as of today 4/1/13 I am 327.4 just have faith my love u will be fine good luck honey..[/quote']

Lookin good...get it girl!!!!

I was frustrated with the 6 month wait, too, but so glad I did it. I gave me the time that I didn't realize I needed to psychologically accept the permanent and drastic life change in front of me. And, in answer to the other question posted here, I was told by my surgeon's office they have NEVER seen an insurance company deny the procedure because you didn't lose weight.

You could try going to a different surgeon. They aren't all the same!

I started my process in July 2012. My insurance was a PAIN, plus the MD was really booked, so I didn't meet with the surgeon until December 2012. My experience with her was awful. She wanted me to lose 40 lbs before she'd even CONSIDER me for surgery. That wasn't the reason I disliked her, it was her attitude (I won't go into details). So I went back to my PCP and asked for a new referral for a 2nd opinion. I'm so glad I did. I found out from the 2nd doctor that my insurance at the time required an EIGHTEEN MONTH supervised diet. 18 months!!! The first surgeon apparently didn't bother to check into my benefits and tell me about that!

So I ended up having to switch insurance (thank GOD I had that option!). It went into effect Feb 1st. I was able to see the surgeon in March (took a few weeks for my new coverage to "show up" in the insurance company's database), get my pre-op testing orders, see him again in April and schedule surgery for May 2nd. If I'd had this insurance the whole time, I could have been scheduled within 2 months of starting the process...

In the meantime, I've lost over 50lbs since I started in November 2012. My original surgeon MIGHT have considered me a surgical candidate by now, but eventually they would have found out my insurance benefits and I'd be stuck waiting again.

Long story short, you don't have to accept an answer you don't like. At least not about this! Go find a surgeon who really understands where you are coming from and wants to help. I'd be willing to bet your surgeon is either "testing" you, to see if you can commit to a lifestyle change OR he's too booked to schedule you til then and doesn't want to tell you that. In either case, I feel like a surgeon should be upfront with you about everything. Some surgeons have a superiority complex and just expect you to take what they say as gold without making your own decision about your health/body. Find someone who has YOUR best interest in mind, not their own.

Good luck!

I was frustrated with the 6 month wait, too, but so glad I did it. I gave me the time that I didn't realize I needed to psychologically accept the permanent and drastic life change in front of me. And, in answer to the other question posted here, I was told by my surgeon's office they have NEVER seen an insurance company deny the procedure because you didn't lose weight.

Hey PBC - not sure if you noticed that your font is set to white and is invisible - you should update your settings. :)