Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reading the post have freaked me out ..help

Ok so maybe there is such a thing as ME reading or getting too much information.

I'm researching the LapBand preparing for this and reading through posts because I havent had the sugery yet, but want to be well informed .

Butttt....

I know in some ways Im a easy person to scare .. because just reading the bottle of Metimucal had me to scared to take it. So I didnt .

The may cause choking or swell up your throat , if not taken with enough liquid totally freaked me out.

My main concern is I have a hard time with the thought of choking or feeling as though I am .. with that said I am just wondering is this truely a common occurance that most of you have felt from time to time?

Im scared that I will do the banding , and then become a permanate fixture at the ER:omg: , or my doctors office fearing Im dying from choking ( yes, I have been told by friends I can be a bit of a

Hypochondriac..)

I dont know why Im panicing because I know there will be some who had bad things happen or go wrong.. Its just Im starting to think that the vast majority has had dificulting swallowing .. which may send me into a panic.

Do you think this may be a reason for me to not do this surgery ?I know its my decision and, I'm not trying to find a reason to back out .. just honestly have a scared moment again.

:help:

Okay, take a deep breath.....breathe.....

Do your research and decide if you can change your eating hapbits? Can you take small bites and chew, I am not banded yet, so I'm not an expert. But, I think if you can follow the rules, you'll be okay.

You should read all you can, this is a very personal decision that only you can make....

Good-luck

I don't choke, but when I PB I do throw up. This happens about 1x a week. Don't be too scared. Its an exciting time. Just do your homework. Its worth it.

I've never felt like I was choking at all. When I do PB, it's more a feeling of discomfort in my chest. Never higher up in my throat.

My main concern is I have a hard time with the thought of choking or feeling as though I am .. with that said I am just wondering is this truely a common occurance that most of you have felt from time to time?

Mine is NOT a choking feeling it is a golf ball in the center of my chest and it is USUALLY 3-4 bites after I start eating IF I have FAILED to follow the rules of eat S L O W, take TINY bites!! It is self induced- and quite frankly it takes the joy out of eating- so that helps in the whole picture. When I follow the rules I HAVE NO PROBLEMS!!!

Dont panic, you will figure it out. It sounds like you need to screen what you read. The worst of everthing has to be included for the incredibly sue happy society we live in!

My advice would be to keep reading and not make a decision to fast. I don't know of anyone that chokes because of the band. Keep doing your research. You will make the right decision for you.

I've never even PB'd (and I've been banded a year) so everyone's experience is totally different. Dont get freaked out by what you read becuase a) it may never happen to you and :) when the negative stuff like sliming does happen, you do take it in stride, its never as bad as you imagine.

And just due to the nature of a support board like this, the problems get discussed and this can make them look more numerous and common than they actually are.

Just keep reading when it comes to this web-site.

I too have seen things from time to time that scared the crap out of me.

Like Jachut said... "problems get discussed..."

Some (not all, and not anyone specifically) tend to post when they are having a difficulty or problem. That is just human nature... we ask questions when we are concerned. So, don't let that worry you. You will see alot of questions here becuase many times that is why people are on the site... to get answers when something odd (out-of-the-norm) pops up.

For every bad experience you will hear of someone who also had a very good one... you just have to keep reading and ultimately, make the decision you think is best for you.

Take it one day at a time... :-)

I think the real question is: What are you more afraid of? The possibility of the occassional PB - or being fat for the rest of your life?

I was scared, too. I REALLY don't like throwing up - and that is essentially what a PB means - you pop the food back out through your mouth. I have never had any sensation of choking, if that helps.

AND, I have only ever had one PB in almost 10 mos - so hopefully, that will take some of the fear out of it for you.

Keep reading, keep thinking. Look at the before and after pages. Look in the complications forum. Read everything. Nobody will hold a gun to your head to make you have the surgery....

I, personally, think it is the best thing since sliced bread - but hey, that's just me.

Good luck in your research and your decision.

No matter what you decide, it will be the right decision for you.

:]

Haven't felt the choking feeling either. I have pb'd and it's not the most pleasant thing to do. But hey the results are worth an occasional pb.

Thanks for all the responses ..

I did read about choking feeling in a few people saying they had to sleep with pillows to prop them up.So they wont choke in their sleep

I guess I will talk to my doctor about this as I just want to be sure I am aware of what I may experiance

Your esophagus/stomach area is banded, not your windpipe...not the same part of the anatomy. If food gets stuck in your band, it doesn't affect your breathing. Anatomy 101...

Metamucil is nasty regardless...Fiber from real food or Benefiber (which doesn't get thick and nasty) is better.

Nancy

yeah - for the first couple of days you may want to sleep sitting up or in a recliner only partially reclined, anyway.

Up and Down are difficult for the first couple of days. You really don't have any idea how much you use those abdominal muscles until you try to lie down without them.

That partially upright sleeping should take care of any possible choking issues that might occur immediately after surgery.

:]

What they are referring to is acid reflux. When you have reflux problems stomach acid comes back up in your throat when you lay flat. This is a result of being overweight or having your band too tight. I have never really experienced either. I have had my band for 19 months and have never had the feeling of choking even when having a really bad PB. I do get the stuck feeling, more of a sharp pain in the middle of my chest, what some refer to as a golfball. I try walking, it usually makes it pass, if not I pb and it is gone. Never a choking sensation though. Hope this helps. ~Mandy

I had a lot of reflux my first two months of being banded. The nurse told me to start taking smaller bites. As soon as I did, no more reflux. A bite that my husband would eat is 8 to 12 bites for me.

Also, reading and understanding the rules is only part of the battle. You will also have to overcome old eating habits and very difficult things like head hunger.

I have never choked, not even during a PB. I also have a weak stomach and can get sick easier than others. I have had no problems with that. I expected to be more sickly on the band, surprisingly I have had no such problems