Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

wow now I know how people become drunks !

I am not a big drinker but enjoy the occasional drink when going out with friends. I never have more then 1 or maybe 2 if over a long evening out.

Last night I was a basketball widow and since taking Friday off...it wasn't a work night. I was tired after a long day and decided to have a glass of wine at home. Mistake! I was tired and hadn't eaten for about 7 hours. I think I had a second glass..not sure. I was in bed by 9, never did eat dinner.< /p>

Wow that really shocked me how this hit me. I won't do THAT again!

thanks for the warning... Ive been trying to have a drink for the past few weeks but something always thwarted my plan... tonight I am determined to have a glass of wine.... already purchased some good cheese to go with it....Pre-op it diidnt take much to give me a buzz, I will definitely keep this in mind tonight

There is no difference for me pre and post op with the impact of alcohol. I suppose it is different for everyone.

I think it's especially important for us to pay attention to these things too. Not only because it takes so much less to knock us on our butts.

I think the risk of a "crossover addiction" is very easy! I come from a background of family members with addiction issues (drugs alcohol) I have NEVER had a problem with drugs or alcohol (just food) .

I was very prepared for many things after surgery but the one thing I didn't think about was the temptation to find comfort in things that never comforted me before.. The weeks after my surgery I became increasingly aware of my "need" for my pain meds (refilled twice) it got to a point I looked forward to my nightly dose. I wasn't taking it during the day just at night for my relaxing down time (the time I used to over eat also). I knew it was becoming an issue so I fessed up to my husband who then helped me hold myself accountable after. I guess for that reason now I only have a glass of wine when I'm out at a social event and not at home alone, at least for now....

One glass is all it takes for me, even 1/2 glass. I had 2 once thinking two would be more fun then one, but it was not. I think drinking is really not that much fun any more because it is over pretty quick. Drank 2 times now since post 6 months op and now not sure I want to drink again. Pretty short buzz time and not worth it. Meh.

Let me also add I AM prone to cross over addiction. It is my personality. I like to experiment and try new things for the thrills of it.will not deny that. However, I am making exercise my addiction. It gives me more than enough thrills to keep me out of a dangerous place where I get bored and need to experiment with stuff. Do others have this problem?

I think it's especially important for us to pay attention to these things too. Not only because it takes so much less to knock us on our butts.

I think the risk of a "crossover addiction" is very easy! I come from a background of family members with addiction issues (drugs alcohol) I have NEVER had a problem with drugs or alcohol (just food) .

I was very prepared for many things after surgery but the one thing I didn't think about was the temptation to find comfort in things that never comforted me before.. The weeks after my surgery I became increasingly aware of my "need" for my pain meds (refilled twice) it got to a point I looked forward to my nightly dose. I wasn't taking it during the day just at night for my relaxing down time (the time I used to over eat also). I knew it was becoming an issue so I fessed up to my husband who then helped me hold myself accountable after. I guess for that reason now I only have a glass of wine when I'm out at a social event and not at home alone' date=' at least for now....[/quote']

Laura, me too ( the pain meds thing). I am over that now, but it is still lurking somewhere.

One glass is all it takes for me' date=' even 1/2 glass. I had 2 once thinking two would be more fun then one, but it was not. I think drinking is really not that much fun any more because it is over pretty quick. Drank 2 times now since post 6 months op and now not sure I want to drink again. Pretty short buzz time and not worth it. Meh.[/quote']

I noticed a quick buzz time too! Interesting.

I think I'm the cheapest date on the planet. I can take 3 drinks of a beer and feel like I need to hand my keys over!!! Needless to say, I don't drink AT ALL!!!! LOL!!

[quote name="Lisa :)]I think I'm the cheapest date on the planet. I can take 3 drinks of a beer and feel like I need to hand my keys over!!! Needless to say' date=' I don't drink AT ALL!!!! LOL!![/quote']

3 sips. Wow.

Well I do intend to still enjoy the occasional drink but I have a whole new respect for how vulnerable I am to alcohol. The no food overtired combo was lethal.

Family came home, set off dogs and general chaos that should have woken me but Didnt. i was passed out.