Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of questions about possible revision

I had a lapband placed four years ago and had good success. Steadily lost weight and went from 275 pounds to 155 pounds. About four months ago, I was so happy with my band and the progress that I'd made. I felt like I was at my goal and the whole process had been wonderful. Then I realized that I'd been having problems for the past 8 weeks, which helped me lose that last 15 pounds. I was to the point that I could barely sip Water. Barium XRay confirmed that I was almost completely blocked.

Since I'd recently moved across the country, I didn't have a surgeon, and since I live in a remote area, the closest weightloss surgeon was 2 1/2 hours away. After a frantic few days of trying to find a surgeon that would see me before taking a few weeks to evaluate my records, and more importantly evaluating my insurance, I went to an emergency room three hours away. The ER doctor removed the Fluid from my band and I was able to drink again. When the surgeon saw me the next day, he was concerned that the ER doctor had punctured my band - my stomach looked like sausage after all the times he poked me trying to find my port.

I've been going back every 4 weeks to get my band filled back. I gained 30 pounds almost immediately but have gotten to the point that I am no longer gaining. From the beginning, this surgeon has wanted to do a revision. He thinks my band slipped and it will happen again, so he is afraid to fill my band to where it was before. Furthermore, we just realized that my band is leaking. So, something needs to be done. Since my original surgery, I have gone off my blood pressure meds (blood pressure was really high even the highest doses of meds that I could take) and the pre-diabetic issues (insulan resistance) have gone away. However, my blood pressure has shot up over the last few months and I'm going to have to go back on meds soon if something doesn't happen.

I talked briefly with my surgeon this week about where to go. He is talking about RNY or a sleeve and would prefer RNY. He feels RNY would be safer to let my stomach heel after surgery. I am just not feeling the RNY and am leaning towards a sleeve.

At this point, we are trying to figure out my insurance because my (new) primary covers surgery, but only if it is the original surgery and I've gone through the whole approval process with them. My secondary, which I used before, does not have the hospital that I'd have to use for this surgeon in their network. So, I have some time to think about where to go. If my primary won't cover the revision, I have two options. The first is to pay some out of pocket. The second is to find another surgeon that does practice at a network hospital. I like the surgeon that I'm going to now, mostly because he spends a lot of time with me discussing concerns and options. But, I'm sure there are lots of other good surgeons out there.

So, questions that I have: Maybe it's safer to have the RNY rather than having my stomach sleeved during a revision, but is that a real concern? I think I'd rather go through the tedious process of liquid/soft diet for the weeks/months than to have the issues involved with RNY. I'm just not feeling good about the RNY. Next question - if I do have a sleeve, what can I expect as far as pre-surgery diet, time in the hospital and overall recovery time, and diet once I am recovered - i.e. I've seen discussions about alcohol, carbonation, not using straws, etc....

I've read through the website, but would appreciate any information and advice I can get.

I have to go from the sleeve to a Rny or a DS ;) unlike a Rny the sleeve has a 20% chance of failure. I fall within that 20%. My bad for not thinking a little harder about that. Look into your options very very carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I have to go from the sleeve to a Rny or a DS ;) unlike a Rny the sleeve has a 20% chance of failure. I fall within that 20%. My bad for not thinking a little harder about that. Look into your options very very carefully.

Why do you have to have a revision?

ArtSong, can I ask how/why the sleeve failed? I have read that there is a 1 percent chance of the sleeve leaking, but I know that those statistics can be heavily skewed. And what is a DS? Okay, I have to admit that I've just begun the research for a revision...

OP, I can't really help you with deciding which revision to go for, but I do have very strong feeling about the band. Especially if someone is having issues with theirs. Don't fool around and wait much longer. You're welcome to check my story in my profile

That aside, I am sleeved now and I'm extremely pleased. I am a slow loser, but I'm ok with that. I am so much more healthier than when banded. The sleeve was as drastic as I was going to go and it's what you make it. As I said in another post, I am hell bent on making this work and that's 90% of the battle

In my surgeon's practice, the pre-op reducing diet is the same for all 3 types of patients, and the pre-op liquid diet is the same for all three types. There's no big difference between the surgeries. Whatever you had to do pre-op & immediately post-op for your band will probably be similar for your sleeve, or even pouch should you choose RNY. My concern of what you wrote is that you said you're really not comfortable with RNY. Always trust your inner voice. :) I hope this all gets straightened out for you soon!!

ArtSong' date=' can I ask how/why the sleeve failed? I have read that there is a 1 percent chance of the sleeve leaking, but I know that those statistics can be heavily skewed. And what is a DS? Okay, I have to admit that I've just begun the research for a revision...[/quote']

DS = duodenal switch

It's like a RNY, but they bypass more of the intestines. My surgeon doesn't do it, but that's ok by me bc my insurance doesn't cover it. Lol

Wow!! You guys are great! I appreciate all the information. Ms.Antiband, I'll check out your story. mwrarr, I appreciate your comment - this is a scary process and I am feeling that I need to go with my gut feeling on it. Lots of things to sort out though and I don't want to make a blind decision on it.

My band has prolasped & currently waiting for insurance approval for a band to sleeve conversion, my Dr. says he can do this in one surgery but I see here where some Dr.s have empied the band first. My doc hasn't mentioed this. Should I be concerned?

My understanding is that ANY WLS can potentially not be as successful as we want. Did the doc tell you that the "failure" rate for the RNY is nil?

i had my band bone in 2006 after 4 months my band slipped i had to have an other surgery to fix it and then i started to notice i started gain weight back a few months later i didn't think about it till i had gained the 60 lb. back i had lost it was about a year later had my band check it tore and yet again another surgery to replace my port i had a bad experience with band now i just had it taking out and i got the sleeve done on march 6th 2013 so far things are goin good i lost 18 lb my last doctors visit and its been 3 weeks since i seen my doctor so im excited to see how much i have lost

i had my band bone in 2006 after 4 months my band slipped i had to have an other surgery to fix it and then i started to notice i started gain weight back a few months later i didn't think about it till i had gained the 60 lb. back i had lost it was about a year later had my band check it tore and yet again another surgery to replace my port i had a bad experience with band now i just had it taking out and i got the sleeve done on march 6th 2013 so far things are goin good i lost 18 lb my last doctors visit and its been 3 weeks since i seen my doctor so im excited to see how much i have lost

done***

My band has prolasped & currently waiting for insurance approval for a band to sleeve conversion, my Dr. says he can do this in one surgery but I see here where some Dr.s have empied the band first. My doc hasn't mentioed this. Should I be concerned?

my doctor did one surgery took my band out and did the sleeve same time

What i noticed after having the band removed and having the sleeve done i stay with acid indigestion and i have to take medication for it my doctor says it might last 2 to 3 months has anyone else has had a revision have the same problem???

If you're not having any issues with your band then it should be able be done in one surgery with out unfilling prior. If you've ever had issues of any kind you may need two so that any damage can repair itself first.