Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the sleeve for me?

I have a relatively low 33 BMI 5/6 209 lbs (size 16) - I will probably have to self pay (I'm in San Diego so I'll likely have to go to Mexico)

I don't diet and have had some success losing weight but my track record in keeping it off...not so good.

I enjoy drinking a lot of Water - close to 150oz a day

I like running 5k, riding my beach cruiser & hot yoga, Barre - I'm just wondering if those that have VSG are active before hand.

How soon can you resume activities?

I'm afraid of:

The stomach being too small - Do you have any say of the size of your stomach

Losing weight too quickly and having a lot of excess skin

Of course I want to be in a smaller body for looks but more than that I would like to have long term health - my mom died of medical conditions caused by a lifetime of morbid obesity. (this terrifies me) So, since I have not been fully and long term successful at maintaining a healthy BMI I have started to look into other options.

I try to eat right but tend to graze on nuts and fruit (too much).

I limit gluten, soy, dairy, sugar, processed foods

I drink coffee

Occasionally, drink red wine.

I have seen a lot of complaints about Protein Shakes. I like and drink Protein shakes. So I guess my question if you dont like them after surgery ...did you like them before?

If I do have VSG I want to make it the easiest on my body as possible and trying to weigh the benefits of lowering BMI and getting to a healthier weight vs acid reflux, sugar intolerance, water intolerance and a couple of the other things i have read in the forums.

I can't even imagine how running a 75-100 lbs lighter would feel. that alone would be amazing!

Any positive or informative feedback you have is appreciate.

Lots of questions!! That's good, a wise person will ask a lot of questions before making such a major and irreversible decision. I can't answer them all, but I'll give some of them a go.

Being active before surgery can only help, can't hurt. Lots of folks who were never active become active after surgery, so you'll have no trouble returning to activity, it'll just put you on the sidelines for a very short while.

Don't worry about the size of your stomach. Every surgeon has his or her preferences, but in the end we're talking about millimeters of difference. The standard is to remove about 85%. That sounds awful, but it really isn't. Some folks have longer stomachs than others, so those folks can eat more than those with shorter stomachs, because the surgery only affects the circumference, not the length. You'll be able to eat enough to sustain yourself. Lots of folks experience regain, so that proves that the stomach won't be TOO small.

It's fairly unpredictable what you will/will not like/tolerate post-surgery. I loved Water before, drank it constantly, can't stand it now. But I compensate with Crystal Lite and tea. I do drink coffee every day, but it was a few months out before I could resume. I am able to eat all the sugar I want, unfortunately. But I've read it makes some folks sick.

Same with Protein drinks. Some couldn't stand them before or after. I loved them before and after. I had to MAKE myself stop drinking them at about 10 months out because I was then able to eat all the Protein I need, and was taking in too much, believe it or else.

I eat two servings of nuts every day. Post surgery, they are a healthy source of protein and Fiber. Fiber becomes hard to get in, so don't discount nuts. Fruits, well, you will not eat much of that for a while. Too high in sugar and carbs when you need to focus on protein.

I personally haven't had wine or any other alcohol in my year post-surgery, but lots of folks do have it and fare well. They just drink much less and nurse it over a longer period of time.

I have not experienced any reflux before or after surgery. Maybe someone else can chime in on the points I've missed, or share their experiences.

Good luck with your decision!!

As far as being active you will have to take a couple of weeks off for anything hard core but will be able to resume soon enough. I would suggest you read the "fitness and exercise" sub forum you will see there are a lot of long distance runners and such...

It's really a decision that only you can make, to have weight loss surgery and at that bmi you might also want to check out the "self pay Mexico" sub forum.

As far as is it worth it?? For most of us yes! I loved Water before its a bit of a challenge now. I'm starting to tolerate it better at 4 months but I do miss "chugging" it. I liked shakes before still like them!

I have read several low bmi'ers that have "regrets" but not many..

I used to be an electrologist, I would have sad women with almost full beards come to me. And lay there hours every week and endure the pain to rid them selfs of this life hindering problem. Because they knew this was the path some sort of freedom.

Then I would have girls come to me (sometimes friends) who had just a few hairs that would be nice to have gone.. After inserting the first needle and applying the current to one hair those girls would jump up and say "oh my god that's to painful, no thank you" it wasn't for them..

This surgery to me is like that story, it is life altering, and it comes with some pain and some sacrifice.

But if you need and want it bad enough it's worth it :)

Laura

Dang. I've endured both electrolysis and VSG!! And in both cases totally worth the pain and expense.

Yep, full beard... but no more.

Thanks for the info I think I'll check out local seminars and see a nutritionist with Cigna to start the process even if eventually get denied, have to self-pay, or decide against it. I don't have any medical conditions or anything LOL a good thing most days. But, at 46 with a slowing metabolism and numerous unsuccessful attempts over the last 20 years to loss it alone permanently I'm feeling like I'm running out of get er' done options. Cutting out simple carbs wheat, sugar, soy, gluten, dairy I lose weight easily...But, its just very difficult to stick to as a long term lifestyle change without ever backsliding. Its one compromise and another until I find myself slipping down the slope

I'm so thankful that a few of you responded with positive input. I like being active and the weight does slow me down.

I drink so much Water that it seems like a huge sacrifice to give it up - more so than my occasional soda or glass of wine.

I would be bummed to give up wine and coffee but Water *gasp* Nooooo LOL

I have rosacea and I shouldn't drink coffee or have spicy foods - so maybe no being able to eat them would actually be a benefit.

@kylifalcon

Can they tell if you have a long or short stomach before surgery? *crossing fingers for a long one*

I'm 46 I'm glad I did it now! Wish I had done it several years ago I have lost and regained this weight so many times I've lost count O_o

Good luck to you!

Hey if you do decide to go the self pay route check out aligtherme I just had my sleeve done with their dr Elias Ortiz and I don't have a single complaint Janese the coordinator did such a great job getting everything set up. If you want to read my review I wrote with a step by step from when I was picked up by them you can check in my profile for it it's in the self pay section. Or if you have any question you can pm me and I'll be happy to answer them

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'm trying to find anyone who had reflux before surgery. I now take two 40mg Nexium a day.