Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cross fit and running

Some of you may know I have been training for a few months with running 5k and 10k. Each week I try and push myself and get better. Recently I joined cross fit to improve my fitness level. Last week, I saw this special on Evening Magazine (Seattle show) about cross fit and it showed this guy running at full speed on a treadmill at 12% incline. Afterwards, he was on his back breathing hard and looking like he just had the best sex ever (pardon the visual). I thought, damn, I wish I could do that. They said several times during the show that athletes do cross fit for the extreme high it brings. I thought - sounds good to me.

Fast forward to today, I decided to really push myself like never before. Instead of spending the first 10 minutes of my 10 k to get into the zone, I got myself into the zone at the end of my warm up by adding sprints and incline running during the warm up. I started the race at 6.6 mph and 2.0% incline. At then end of 5 k, I had been running 18.5 minutes. At the end of 10 k I finished in 39 minutes. I was on my back recovering for a min, seeing stars with sound echoing into the distance. I felt great, like that guy I saw on the show.

I wanted to stop several times during the run, but I kept repeating "I am a cross fit runner now. I can do this." To help me have the energy to do it, I popped 2 energy squares before the run and another at 5 k. I drank a lot of Water all morning to hydrate myself. Took a pre workout drink right before run so the pump would kick in around 20-30 minutes. I met my latest goal of running 5 k sub 20 minutes! I continue to train with runs 3-4 x a week, increasing the effort spent every session.

I share this to motivate others. Good luck in your fitness endeavors and may you keep setting and meeting your goals. I think anything is possible and I want to apply the principles of cross fit to all areas of life.

Oh and might I add that I have been having a small TMI moment in these quests to better my running. Sometimes during the run I feel the need to take a dump (sorry for the guttural description). I wish this did not happen and hope some others have a solution. I do try and take care of daily BM hours before running. However, nature calls again during the run. Maybe it is the pre workout drink? Don't know.

That's the beauty of trail running. There's a port-a-potty at every tree.

Good one. That has got to be the funniest post I have read all day being also a hiker.

I don't understand how you can keep up that level of exertion on such low carbs. I can't come close. Everything I've read says the average person has 60-90 minutes of glycogen at hard effort, then they run out and hit the wall (they actually switch to burning fat but when you burn through your glycogen and switch over its not a very comfortable feeling). I seem to hit the wall much sooner at hard efforts. More like 30 minutes. Yes my carbs are relatively low for a runner but I don't think they are any lower than yours. Could my glycogen storage just be that much less than the average person? That might explain why in my old life I felt the need to eat carbs every 2-3 hours. Also the fact that I was insulin resistant and yet continued to live off of high glycemic carbs day in and day out....that didn't help.

And of course, everything you read about nutrition for running talks about eating 55-65% of your calories as carbs. I can't do that. And then there is the Stu Mittleton/Phil Maffetone camp that says you can burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. Well I've done this so they are correct. I've run several runs over 6 miles on virtually no carbs with no issues....except that I had to run very slowly. I'm talking 12 minute miles. That seems to be my preferred speed anyway for long runs. But here lately I've had a few long runs where I was able to bump that up to 10:30 minutes/mile. I can't start out like that, but toward the end I get to feeling real good and I gradually kick it up to that speed. My 9 mile run last Friday I ran 12:20 miles the whole way and then a 10:15 mile on the very last mile. I should have been too fatigued for that. Also it was on no carbs. Tonight I ran 6 miles and I was exhausted when I started. The first 2 miles were 11:30 miles but I felt awful and wanted to quit. The middle 2 miles were 12 minute miles and I felt better. And the last 2 were 10:30 miles and I felt great. I don't really know what happened but I got stronger as I went along.

All this after working a 12 hour shift at work. The only thing I ate pre run was 2 energy squares. I wish I had more ability to maintain those faster speeds. I will work on it after my half marathon is over. Till then I'm sticking to my plan.

I don't understand how you can keep up that level of exertion on such low carbs. I can't come close. Everything I've read says the average person has 60-90 minutes of glycogen at hard effort' date=' then they run out and hit the wall (they actually switch to burning fat but when you burn through your glycogen and switch over its not a very comfortable feeling). I seem to hit the wall much sooner at hard efforts. More like 30 minutes. Yes my carbs are relatively low for a runner but I don't think they are any lower than yours. Could my glycogen storage just be that much less than the average person? That might explain why in my old life I felt the need to eat carbs every 2-3 hours. Also the fact that I was insulin resistant and yet continued to live off of high glycemic carbs day in and day out....that didn't help.

And of course, everything you read about nutrition for running talks about eating 55-65% of your calories as carbs. I can't do that. And then there is the Stu Mittleton/Phil Maffetone camp that says you can burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. Well I've done this so they are correct. I've run several runs over 6 miles on virtually no carbs with no issues....except that I had to run very slowly. I'm talking 12 minute miles. That seems to be my preferred speed anyway for long runs. But here lately I've had a few long runs where I was able to bump that up to 10:30 minutes/mile. I can't start out like that, but toward the end I get to feeling real good and I gradually kick it up to that speed. My 9 mile run last Friday I ran 12:20 miles the whole way and then a 10:15 mile on the very last mile. I should have been too fatigued for that. Also it was on no carbs. Tonight I ran 6 miles and I was exhausted when I started. The first 2 miles were 11:30 miles but I felt awful and wanted to quit. The middle 2 miles were 12 minute miles and I felt better. And the last 2 were 10:30 miles and I felt great. I don't really know what happened but I got stronger as I went along.

All this after working a 12 hour shift at work. The only thing I ate pre run was 2 energy squares. I wish I had more ability to maintain those faster speeds. I will work on it after my half marathon is over. Till then I'm sticking to my plan.[/quote']

I don't really know myself, but I will research this question. If there is an answer, you will be the first to know! Keep up the hard training for the 1/2. I know you will be great in your success when race day comes.

I don't understand how you can keep up that level of exertion on such low carbs. I can't come close. Everything I've read says the average person has 60-90 minutes of glycogen at hard effort' date=' then they run out and hit the wall (they actually switch to burning fat but when you burn through your glycogen and switch over its not a very comfortable feeling). I seem to hit the wall much sooner at hard efforts. More like 30 minutes. Yes my carbs are relatively low for a runner but I don't think they are any lower than yours. Could my glycogen storage just be that much less than the average person? That might explain why in my old life I felt the need to eat carbs every 2-3 hours. Also the fact that I was insulin resistant and yet continued to live off of high glycemic carbs day in and day out....that didn't help.

All this after working a 12 hour shift at work. The only thing I ate pre run was 2 energy squares. I wish I had more ability to maintain those faster speeds. I will work on it after my half marathon is over. Till then I'm sticking to my plan.[/quote']

Holy crap! U did that after a 12 hour shift?! This could be why ur exhausted when u started ur 6 mile run. I'm inspired by ur dedication to ur training.

Do u typically run in the eve? Have u ever flipped ur running times? U might see a difference there. I find that I do much better in the am. I feel like crud if I try to run after work- zero energy and it shows with slow mile times. Just a thought...

Holy crap! U did that after a 12 hour shift?! This could be why ur exhausted when u started ur 6 mile run. I'm inspired by ur dedication to ur training.

Do u typically run in the eve? Have u ever flipped ur running times? U might see a difference there. I find that I do much better in the am. I feel like crud if I try to run after work- zero energy and it shows with slow mile times. Just a thought...

Good point. I also run in the morning, usually at 9am every morning. My east cost colleagues are on lunch, so perfect time. I am naturally a morning person so I am at my best in the am. Not sure you have the luxury of a morning workout unless it is really early due to the 12 hour shift. I have tried to exercise in the evening, but never have the energy or motivation.

Are you running every day for your training? I am wondering if I can get away with every day running (6 miles or more). Now I take a day off from runs and do something else like ellyptical or light weight training. Will be back into cross fit late next week after I am recovered from recent ( minor) back surgery. Doctor said I could run this week, but no strenuous back stuff until next week.

Ha....I'm a shift worker at a chemical plant and I work 530 to 530. 7 days a month and 7 nights. Because I live in the country but work in the city I leave the house at 400 to get to work. When I'm working day shift there is no way I'm getting up early enough to run before that. But I get alot of days off each month and I try to take full advantage of those. I'll do my long run each week on an off day. When I work nights I run before work. But when I work days I have no choice but to do a couple of runs. Usually those are my shortest runs. Last nights run was something unusual. I don't know where I got the energy.

Are you running every day for your training? I am wondering if I can get away with every day running (6 miles or more). Now I take a day off from runs and do something else like ellyptical or light weight training. Will be back into cross fit late next week after I am recovered from recent ( minor) back surgery. Doctor said I could run this week' date=' but no strenuous back stuff until next week.[/quote']

I usually run every other day. If I run 2 days in a row they will be shorter runs. Typical week for me right now is 1 or 2 four mile runs. 1 five to six mile run and 1 long run (right now I'm up to 9 miles on that....tomorrow is my 10 miler).

Wow. I am reading both your posts with great admiration and envy!

I'm about 70% to my goal weight (SW 319 CW 190 GW 135) and haven't started running yet. C25K is on the phone and calling my name, but the weather here is still not conducive to running (I don't want to slip, fall and injury myself!). So I'm walking at a fast pace (16 min/mile, which at 5'4" is fast for my short little legs!)

I have NEVER run. Even as a youth, when I played field hockey, soccer, softball, volleyball and was an avid cyclist, I never ran. My positions were back catcher, goalie, setter etc. But I have always WANTED to run. So this year I'm going to do it.

And next year I'm doing the Tough Mudder.

The idea of running 500 yards exhausts me right now (LOL).

Thanks for the inspiration guys. I know you were where I am right now, some time long ago (heh heh). And you've obviously not only overcome the initial challenge, but grown to love running. I'm looking forward to feeling that way.

For now, I've registered for the Toronto Marathon (to be held on my 44th birthday this year, on Oct. 20), doing the 1/2 marathon walk. Between training for that, getting back on the bike to do some 50k and 75k charity rides, playing slo-pitch softball for the first time in 25 yrs and getting to goal weight, I've got a busy summer ahead of me.

I'll be following your running posts. Please continue to bask in the glow of my admiration.

Wow. I am reading both your posts with great admiration and envy!

I'm about 70% to my goal weight (SW 319 CW 190 GW 135) and haven't started running yet. C25K is on the phone and calling my name' date=' but the weather here is still not conducive to running (I don't want to slip, fall and injury myself!). So I'm walking at a fast pace (16 min/mile, which at 5'4" is fast for my short little legs!)

I have NEVER run. Even as a youth, when I played field hockey, soccer, softball, volleyball and was an avid cyclist, I never ran. My positions were back catcher, goalie, setter etc. But I have always WANTED to run. So this year I'm going to do it.

And next year I'm doing the Tough Mudder.

The idea of running 500 yards exhausts me right now (LOL).

Thanks for the inspiration guys. I know you were where I am right now, some time long ago (heh heh). And you've obviously not only overcome the initial challenge, but grown to love running. I'm looking forward to feeling that way.

For now, I've registered for the Toronto Marathon (to be held on my 44th birthday this year, on Oct. 20), doing the 1/2 marathon walk. Between training for that, getting back on the bike to do some 50k and 75k charity rides, playing slo-pitch softball for the first time in 25 yrs and getting to goal weight, I've got a busy summer ahead of me.

I'll be following your running posts. Please continue to bask in the glow of my admiration.[/quote']

Thank you for your post. It cheers my day to be able to help others. Excellent that you are setting some lofty goals. It sounds great! I know you will be successful. The hardest part is just sticking to it. Yay for you!

I'll be following your running posts. Please continue to bask in the glow of my admiration.

Running seems so daunting to someone who has never done it AND been overweight. I always wanted to run but never thought I could. I still doubted myself until about my 5th or 6th run. Around then it occurred to me that I was getting better...and that fueled my fire in a big way. C25K gives you steady progress and keeps you from doing too much too soon...and them quitting, which is what I always did before.

Good luck. I hope you fall in love with it like I have.