Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Faye, sorry about the trainer misunderstanding. It was very nice of him to go the extra mile provide you with the written instructions for the meal. What machines are you working on? My favorite used to be the elliptical but it would probably kick my tail now. I hope to get back to it after my foot heals.

Sassy and Cheryl

I have a thought on dieticians and nutritionists,and having worked in health care my entire adult life, I have know many of them. It seems to me as if those in the profession are all people with normal metabolism and no weight problems; and I have never thought that they truly understand what it is like to be overweight. While it is true that we heavy weights usually eat "wrong" in some ways, I know without a doubt that there are people who eat totally wrong, don't exercise, and stay a normal weight. I have lived with some of those people...in fact, I STILL live with a couple of those people.

Anyway, that's my 2 Cents on that particular subject.

Faye, sorry about the trainer misunderstanding. It was very nice of him to go the extra mile provide you with the written instructions for the meal. What machines are you working on? My favorite used to be the elliptical but it would probably kick my tail now. I hope to get back to it after my foot heals.

My knees don't allow for me doing the elliptical or a bike. I tried the recumbent bike, but my knee won't bend enough to rotate the pedal all the way around. The elliptical hurt within 1 minute, but I plan to try it again at some point. I can walk on a treadmill, but we decided to focus on strength training at first. I'm doing a circuit of chest press, lat press, tricep press, an overhead row machine, hip abductor, and leg extension press, along with some arm lifts with free weights. I do about 15-20 reps per set, 2 times through the circuit. Yesterday was my 6th time going through the routine, and I can already tell I am able to add increased weight on most of the machines & move through the circuit faster. The next step is to build up to doing the circuit 3 times instead of just 2.

Good luck with your foot healing. I've broken bones in my feet before & it can seem like it takes forever to heal!

I was tired just reading about your workout:) I haven't been to a gym in several years. I know when I get back I will be at square one. By then you will be an expert at all the machines.

I had both my knees replaced at the same time in 2012. This darned foot seems like it has been a much bigger deal than the knee surgeries.

Sassy and Cheryl

I have a thought on dieticians and nutritionists,and having worked in health care my entire adult life, I have know many of them. It seems to me as if those in the profession are all people with normal metabolism and no weight problems; and I have never thought that they truly understand what it is like to be overweight. While it is true that we heavy weights usually eat "wrong" in some ways, I know without a doubt that there are people who eat totally wrong, don't exercise, and stay a normal weight. I have lived with some of those people...in fact, I STILL live with a couple of those people.

Exactly. You have totally captured their essence. I don't know any of them personally ... only professionally ... but every one of them is skinny and has no experience in being overweight. It's so easy for them to pull a few facts from memory/college classes and tell us what we should be doing. But they cannot really empathize or even relate to us ... since they've never been there.

And don't they always seem like "holy rollers" to you?

My knees don't allow for me doing the elliptical or a bike. The elliptical hurt within 1 minute. I can walk on a treadmill, but we decided to focus on strength training at first.

I don't think I could ride a bike for more than 15 sec. since both my knees are trashed, altho only the left one hurts.

I'm doing a circuit of chest press, lat press, tricep press, an overhead row machine, hip abductor, and leg extension press, along with some arm lifts with free weights. I do about 15-20 reps per set, 2 times through the circuit. Yesterday was my 6th time going through the routine, and I can already tell I am able to add increased weight on most of the machines & move through the circuit faster. The next step is to build up to doing the circuit 3 times instead of just 2.

That is so impressive, Faye. I want to start weight training soon as well. I read that if you don't have muscle strength or mass (or both) that slows down your metabolism and you won't lose weight as fast.

I'm gonna have to call you Lady Weightlifter from now on.

Just wanted to add a note to our daily discussion. I just talked with my original surgeon's office today. And they will only operate on me if I repeat everything I did in the last month (diet, class, pre-op visit) & lose 10-15 lbs. Oh, joy, I was hoping I could repeat that 2 week starvation diet again. And I'm sure my friend, Martha, will be thrilled to learn we will have to make 2 additional trips to Denton (40 miles away) to arrive at the crack of dawn.

Hopefully, I'll have something better sked after my visit Friday when I go to another seminar. I would love for this dr. to do it, but not sure he can accept my previous 3 mo. Medicare diet. As I vaguely recall, there was a problem with getting the info on 1 or 2 of my visits.

Oh well, things will hopefully work out for the best. Wish me luck. Call on all your contacts in the spirit world to pray for the best outcome for me.

Just wanted to add a note to our daily discussion. I just talked with my original surgeon's office today. And they will only operate on me if I repeat everything I did in the last month (diet, class, pre-op visit) & lose 10-15 lbs. Oh, joy, I was hoping I could repeat that 2 week starvation diet again. And I'm sure my friend, Martha, will be thrilled to learn we will have to make 2 additional trips to Denton (40 miles away) to arrive at the crack of dawn.

Hopefully, I'll have something better sked after my visit Friday when I go to another seminar. I would love for this dr. to do it, but not sure he can accept my previous 3 mo. Medicare diet. As I vaguely recall, there was a problem with getting the info on 1 or 2 of my visits.

Oh well, things will hopefully work out for the best. Wish me luck. Call on all your contacts in the spirit world to pray for the best outcome for me.

Sassy,

Sorry to hear you have to jump through hoops yet again. You have certainly had a difficult time trying to get your surgery. I think most of the pre-op hoops are totally ridiculous and I am glad I didn't have to jump through any of them.....except for the pre-op diet. The diet was not fun, but it did give me a head-start on weight loss.

I hope things will finally fall into place so that you can finally move forward into the next awesome phase of your life! I will definitely send prayers for this situation.

Exactly. You have totally captured their essence. I don't know any of them personally ... only professionally ... but every one of them is skinny and has no experience in being overweight. It's so easy for them to pull a few facts from memory/college classes and tell us what we should be doing. But they cannot really empathize or even relate to us ... since they've never been there.

And don't they always seem like "holy rollers" to you?

Definitely "holier than thou" or in this case "superior to you" because they think if we just ate like they do we would be their size...which is WRONG!

Hi Everyone! I have "Get to know you" question. Have you always struggled with weight or did it happen to you later in life? I was born a fatty.....a 9# baby who never slimmed down. When I was in elementary school my Mom made my clothes and we always had to use the "Chubby" patterns. There would always be an array of cute patterns for the regular sizes, and then approximately 3 patterns for the chubbies. By fourth grade I weighed 130#, and I was always a shortie so that was pretty fat. I distinctly remember my weight because the teacher was doing some type of lesson and she made each of us tell our weight when she called our name. ( a TERRIBLE thing to do). There was only one girl in the class fatter than me and her name was called first...Sherry said she weighed 130#. I knew that couldn't be right but no way was I going to say I weighed the same as Sherry. So I lied about my weight (the first of many times in my life..LOL) and I felt really guilty for lying. Most of the girls in the class weighted between 75-90#. Anyway, I have never been a normal weight. One time when I was in my 20's I dieted down to 130# but I couldn't maintain it for long. That was the only time I have ever been normal weight and normal BMI. So how about you ladies? did you get to enjoy slender years? I have always wondered what that would have been like.............

Jean,

Thanks for sharing. I hope our other members see this post and respond. I'm sure some can relate, and it's a good topic.

I was one of the lucky ones. I was thin all my life until 13 years ago when the steroids I took for chemo caused a massive weight gain ... and the train just kept on going, gaining weight as it went. I went from 175 to 431 in no time.

I was never slender, but not heavy, either. I was an athletic girl who "blossomed" early. I started wearing a bra in 6th grade & was a D cup by 9th grade. When I was 17, I blew out my left knee. I tore every tendon & ligament, was on crutches for a couple of months, and then 4 months later I re-injured it, which pretty much put the nail in the coffin of that knee. At 25, I started taking a medication for seizures that had a side effect of increased appetite. That coincided with my 1st husband getting serious about cooking & preparing delicious & rich foods every day. My weight ballooned & I was never able to get it under control. My high weight was 320 & I should go under 250 in the next day or two. I haven't been under 250 in years, so I'm happy to be heading in the right direction.

Southern Soul, how exciting you are getting ready to go under 250! Isn't it so much more fun to try on clothing that is getting to large rather than the other way around?

By the way...I am envious of your cup sizes. I have never been well-endowed and that is the first place I lose. At 5'4" I have to weigh over 200# to wear a 38 C which is the largest I have ever worn. That was the only good thing about being heavier. That area of my body is wasting away to 2 fried eggs now....LOL

I know how the seizure medications can pack on the weight. I have seen some of my patients balloon up almost over night. Each month they would come to the Dr office would have gained several pounds. I had one lady that was quite slim to start with and she gained 100# in a year.

Have you had surgery on your Left knee? Do you notice a difference in the knees since you have lost weight?

Hello Sassy and Jeanielan,

Thank you for your resonses regarding my nutriontinist. She is a real stinker for sure and spends the first 30 minuites of each support group telling us how wonderful and qualified she is and she has all the answers. We never get to individually get to say anything and I think it is because she does not want to address any real issues some of us might be having. Last group meeting there were 2 ladies wanting information on the lab band and she told them not to waste their money instead of telling them the difference between lapband, sleeve and gastric bypass so that they could walk away informed and better equipped to make the right descision for themselves. Jeanielan you are so right about most NUTS. Most of them are pre-occupied with being too skinny and being bery critical when they don't think you have lost enough in a short period of time. I have a thyroid issue and I am taking meds for it so even with the WLS I am still not going to lose like alot of other folks. I always have to remind her of that but it does not seem to matter to her. I am staying with her until the end of this year and I am going to look for a new NUT and make an appointment for January.

My husband is not going to change so I am the one who has to change and I have; I will not go out for Breakfast with him everyday and when I do I just get a cup of coffee and when he goes out for dinner most times he is eating alone. I will see how this all works out over the next several weeks. Maybe he will get tired of eating alone and stay home for a change. I cook for him but he would rather eat out. I am not sure where all this eating out stems from and be sure that I am going to be asking him WHY???? Why the need to eating out all the time???? Thanks for your support Sassy. I am so happy this site is up an running.

Folks, I have to ask, Is anyone have issues with eating meat ( chicken, steak)? I seem to be able to eat fish, cottage cheese, low fat cheese and greek yogurt. I think my taste buds have changed and I have having problems just thinking about eating meat. Thank you again. Cheryl