Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 3 weeks post op just wondering when we can start eating Protein bars.... And what kind?

I have not heard any limitations around eating Protein Bars, but it would be good to wait until you ate cleared for solids. Also, Protein Bars tend to be pretty dense so it may take a little longer until your stomach can handle it properly. Most folks here eat pure Protein bars and others eat Atkins or nugo. What kind ate you going to eat? Try and stick to high protein and low carb.

I LOVE getting my Protein thru bars. I HATE Protein drinks. Plus it makes me feel fuller. I did wait until I was 7 weeks out first and still chew, chew, chew.

I try to stay above 15 gm of Protein and 3 or less net carbs

I have not heard any limitations around eating Protein bars' date=' but it would be good to wait until you ate cleared for solids. Also, Protein bars tend to be pretty dense so it may take a little longer until your stomach can handle it properly. Most folks here eat pure protein bars and others eat Atkins or nugo. What kind ate you going to eat? Try and stick to high protein and low carb.[/quote']

I don't know what kind to buy yet. Are the ones at Walmart any good?

I have not heard any limitations around eating Protein bars' date=' but it would be good to wait until you ate cleared for solids. Also, Protein bars tend to be pretty dense so it may take a little longer until your stomach can handle it properly. Most folks here eat pure protein bars and others eat Atkins or nugo. What kind ate you going to eat? Try and stick to high protein and low carb.[/quote']

I don't know what kind to buy yet. Are the ones at Walmart any good?

I LOVE getting my Protein thru bars. I HATE Protein drinks. Plus it makes me feel fuller. I did wait until I was 7 weeks out first and still chew' date=' chew, chew.

I try to stay above 15 gm of protein and 3 or less net carbs

[/quote']

Yes I can't stand Protein Drinks neither!!! They make me feel sick to my stomach. Can we have only protein bars instead of the drinks then?

Yes I can't stand Protein drinks neither!!! They make me feel sick to my stomach. Can we have only Protein bars instead of the drinks then?

I think that should be fine as long as you meet protein goals for the day.

I eat Pure Protein bars that you can buy at Walmart, they have 20 grams of protein and 2 grams of sugar.i didn't start eating them until at least 2 months post op.

Yes I can't stand Protein drinks neither!!! They make me feel sick to my stomach. Can we have only Protein bars instead of the drinks then?

I wouldn't do that. Most protein bars are nothing more than jacked up candy bars. They are loaded with carbs. To my knowledge, the one with the fewest net carbs are the Quest bars, but they are not the tastiest bars. But if your sleeve can tolerate a Quest bar, then it can tolerate lean meat and that is a much better food source. Fish, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt....all better protein sources and probably easier on your sleeve than a Protein Bar.

I wouldn't do that. Most Protein bars are nothing more than jacked up candy bars. They are loaded with carbs. To my knowledge' date=' the one with the fewest net carbs are the Quest bars, but they are not the tastiest bars. But if your sleeve can tolerate a Quest bar, then it can tolerate lean meat and that is a much better food source. Fish, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt....all better Protein sources and probably easier on your sleeve than a protein bar.[/quote']

Thank u very much for the info. :)

I tried the Atkins advantage bars. 16 grams of carb and 4 or 5 net carbs. In the week that I ate them for Breakfast I didn't lose a pound. Went back to a one egg omelet for breakfast and lost 3 lbs the following week.

I just got my Nugo sample pack today and tried the Brownie Crunch. It is really good tasting and satisfied my hunger just fine. Each bar has 16 g of Protein, 19 g of carbs (2 g are sugar carbs, others are sugar alcohols or something not counted in net carbs) and 7 g of Fiber. After I finish the 3 bars in the sample pack this weekend I am going to put in an order for a box or two of my favorite flavor. I can see myself eating 1 a day or maybe not even that often. It depends on the impact of these on my goals.

Im not Eating bars, but had written down that Quest are the best if i ever choose to get some. I ran the numbers on the chocolate Peanut Butter bars for nugo and Quest

Quest weight 60 gr, 160 cal, 25 carbs, 20 prot, 5 fat, 17 fiber

Nugo weight 50 gr, 170 cal, 26 carbs, 11 prot, 3 fat, 2.5 fiber

Guess the message would be to carefully analyze the nutrition label and not assume that each bar in the line has the same nutritional values.

Suggestion for Quest bars: microwave them for 15 seconds. They taste better and are softer and easier to digest. I like the banana nut muffin and cinnamon roll flavors. 170 calories, 20 grams Protein, lots of Fiber, very low carb. GMC sells them.

Im not Eating bars' date=' but had written down that Quest are the best if i ever choose to get some. I ran the numbers on the chocolate Peanut Butter bars for nugo and quest

Quest weight 60 gr, 160 cal, 25 carbs, 20 prot, 5 fat, 17 fiber

Nugo weight 50 gr, 170 cal, 26 carbs, 11 prot, 3 fat, 2.5 fiber

Guess the message would be to carefully analyze the nutrition label and not assume that each bar in the line has the same nutritional values.

[/quote']

One other member was pointing out to me that quest bars include some unnatural ingredients. That is why I went with Nugo because they contain natural ingredients and still meet my criteria of less then 200 calories, high Protein, low sugar/carbs. Also, do look at the Nugo thin bars. These are the samples I ordered. The other nugo bars do not have a good set of nutritional stats for my goals.