Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuggling, need help with head hunger!

I know I know....another person complaining...

but I'm having a major issue breaking through to the 230s...I've been in the 240s for 3 weeks now....bouncing back and forth 4 pounds....

I need some direction, positive thoughts right now...

I'll be 9 months post op March 11th.....and I feel like if I just go on protien drinks and yogurt I can breakthrough, but I really dont want to manipulate my body like that because, well I know I will regret it later....

any thoughts or suggestions

What's a typical day look like for you? Share what you're eating. We are all different, but for me, short of a stressful event triggering head hunger, I found that incorporating a more balanced diet (a good ratio of protein/carbs/fats) really helped give me satiety and help me feel in control.

It didn't negatively impact my loss but it changed the mental aspect entirely for me.

So let's start there, if you're up to sharing.

Beyond that, know that this is a part of the journey for many of us. If we had easy relationships with food, we'd have skipped surgery altogether. It's entirely possible to get through this if you focus on changing.

I also had those periods where I couldn't lose easily and I couldn't seem to get past a certain point. It's actually not uncommon, even if it is frustrating. Sometimes our diet can help change things up. Sometimes we just have to wait it out, as frustrating as that is.

~Cheri

usually my eating is good, but I do sometimes go too long in between meals and I end up picking up anything I can get my hands on to eat....

But most days I will eat my balanced meal or snack like yogurt with fresh fruit or my meat and veggies then I'll go grab a bunch of wheat crackers with Peanut Butter and just start grazing on that...even though I just finished eating my meal

At work I will work until someone frustrates me and I start looking for change to hit the vending machine, nevermind I have planned Snacks and a balanced lunch, at that moment I want chips and I'm going to the vending machine to get chips....

I'm working on it, telling myself I screwed up today but tomorrow is a new day....I'm tired of having new days, ugh!

PEvette....one thing that has helped me with my hunger at this point was raising my fat intake. I was eating high Protein but low everything else. I upped my fat intake with foods like almonds, avocados, whole eggs, milk, EVOO, olives, full fat cheese.....and honestly I felt much better. I think this goes along with what Cheri said above....it helped my diet get more balanced.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since you upped your calories? Many people cannot stay on an extreme calorie reduced diet forever and expect to keep losing. The furnace needs fuel to burn hotter. It may be time to add some fuel to yours.

I agree 100% w Butter. I was having head hunger at 6 months out. I found myself munching more. Then I realized I WAS really hungrier. I've upped my fats to 60-75 and I'm back to losing again.

Yep, a third voice chiming in! I think that it's important that you tweak your diet until it's ideal for your body. That means you'll still lose weight, hopefully at the same pace, but you'll feel better mentally about food. That helps immensely with controlling the urge to binge or graze on less than ideal options.

I was really surprised to find that my body gave me such a large window to work with during the loss phase. There was no real difference in my loss pattern when I added in twice as many calories and carbs a day, but mentally it was a complete breakthrough.

Don't be afraid to go back to basics, tracking those calories and searching for the right diet for your body. It doesn't matter if someone else does things differently. What matters is that you find something that works for you. If you can't do that, maintenance will be a struggle.

Real fats. Real sugar. Good quality carbs. These things all help us feel more satisfied with what we're eating. Moderation is key, so start experimenting.

Good luck,

~Cheri

I think some of the carbs I have been adding have helped with this, I suppose you have a timed schedule but it may be important that you tell yourself not to cheat it, have a time for each snack and meal at this point and stay rigorous to the schedule, also, I found being more active takes me away from only thinking of foods, even when it's how much, what calories, new recipes, adding and seperating all this information doesn't allways make me hungry but the first thought after an hour of dwelling of food resources makes me think, When do we eat ?, I liken it to other therapuetic home remedies for stress or something simply to go outside and get some air rather than give myself none to do but think at these moments. Good luck, eat healthy and nutrition may help you stay away from hunger.

I'm pretty much always hungry now and I think I need to raise my caloric intake some. I am horrible at planning meals and i just don't eat enough food to interest myself in cooking. I am working on changing a lot of this and it's so hard. My head doesn't want to do what it's suppose to do and that's planning my meals and following through with them. I am so bored with my go too's now and I really am not interested in eating junk foods or high carb foods. This is hard work and I know that I have to do the work to have healthy eating habits..... But I'm not really sure what my caloric intake should be right now.......Frustrating.......

PEvette....one thing that has helped me with my hunger at this point was raising my fat intake. I was eating high Protein but low everything else. I upped my fat intake with foods like almonds, avocados, whole eggs, milk, EVOO, olives, full fat cheese.....and honestly I felt much better. I think this goes along with what Cheri said above....it helped my diet get more balanced.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since you upped your calories? Many people cannot stay on an extreme calorie reduced diet forever and expect to keep losing. The furnace needs fuel to burn hotter. It may be time to add some fuel to yours.

thanks I will take you suggestions to the store and up my fat intake some...back in Oct I had issues (kinda similar to now) and my NUT increased my intake from 800 calories to 1200 calories because I workout 4-5 days a week....so I've been at 1200 calories since october, I'll be 9 months post op next week...

I'm pretty much always hungry now and I think I need to raise my caloric intake some. I am horrible at planning meals and i just don't eat enough food to interest myself in cooking. I am working on changing a lot of this and it's so hard. My head doesn't want to do what it's suppose to do and that's planning my meals and following through with them. I am so bored with my go too's now and I really am not interested in eating junk foods or high carb foods. This is hard work and I know that I have to do the work to have healthy eating habits..... But I'm not really sure what my caloric intake should be right now.......Frustrating.......

I get a lot of prepared healthy foods. costco has some really nice healthy shrimp platters. Any store does really. I go to the store & get a rotisserie chicken, container of cut up veggies, salmon w pesto butter ready to be baked....different items that require less than 5 minute prep time.

I think some of the carbs I have been adding have helped with this, I suppose you have a timed schedule but it may be important that you tell yourself not to cheat it, have a time for each snack and meal at this point and stay rigorous to the schedule, also, I found being more active takes me away from only thinking of foods, even when it's how much, what calories, new recipes, adding and seperating all this information doesn't allways make me hungry but the first thought after an hour of dwelling of food resources makes me think, When do we eat ?, I liken it to other therapuetic home remedies for stress or something simply to go outside and get some air rather than give myself none to do but think at these moments. Good luck, eat healthy and nutrition may help you stay away from hunger.

Hi, I had someone suggest to me before, but its difficult for me to eat small meals during the day, because I'm a teacher and my planning period isnt until 11:45am....so I have to go from 7:45am to 11:45am just drinking.....and drinking just goes straight through me....I'm now trying to keep turkey Jerky at my desk, but now I think I will keep nuts now.....I need things easy to get to, sneak and munch on without refrigeration....

life of a teacher

Hi' date=' I had someone suggest to me before, but its difficult for me to eat small meals during the day, because I'm a teacher and my planning period isnt until 11:45am....so I have to go from 7:45am to 11:45am just drinking.....and drinking just goes straight through me....I'm now trying to keep turkey Jerky at my desk, but now I think I will keep nuts now.....I need things easy to get to, sneak and munch on without refrigeration....

life of a teacher[/quote']

Try baby bell cheese. They are covered in wax and stay protected outside the frig for several hours. I've kept some in my purse all day and eaten then at night. :-)

I know that Protein Drinks are not the first choice for people but.... The premier pre made shakes are "shelf stable" and don't need refrigeration so I keep them on hand when I am out and about.

Just a thought :)

Laura, how do they taste when taken off the shelf? I love them cold but am afraid to try them warm. :P