Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you exercise? Have you lost without it?

I would hate to think that you are looking for the easy way out by not exercising. The exercise is key for many reasaons including tightening your skin as you lose fat.

To answer your question, I lost my first 35 lbs with no exercise. I was at a stand still after that until I started working out and the rest started to come off. It goes in spurts so I cen get frustrated pretty easy. Just when I think working out doesn't work, the next day the scale goes down. You just have to stick with it.

I understand the not wanting to work out thing because I was that way. I hated the gym because I was the biggest there but now, I'm the one the staff brings new clients past to show them how it works! Little do they know they know it was also the band! ;)

I lost my first 30 or so pounds with little to no excercise. After that it wouldn't budge until I started going to the gym 3 days a week. Some people are sucessful without excercise but I am a firm believer that some level of excercise is necessary to be healthy.

That makes sense. I probably haven't been as motivated because I have so much to lose. I think I'm mentally ready for the workout challenge now. Good luck.

After I read both of your responses I got into my car and went to the gym. I wasn't able to do as much cardio as I would have liked but it was a start. Thanks for the feedback.

Exercise is wonderful but some of us are limited in what we can do related to health issues. I need a total knee replacement but I do get out and walk. It was extremely painful at first but, as the pounds are reduced, it becomes easier. I add a little more distance every week and also do upper body work-outs.

well thats AWESOME! congrats on going to the gym!

i too didnt use exercise the first few months of banding and lost then i hit a major plateau and realized i HAD to do both in order to lose like i wanted.

NOW i exercise to feel the way i want! i feel like a million bucks when i exercise!

good luck! keep it up!

I haven't done real exercise (e.g. specific effort) in... way too long.

*sigh* I haven't gone to the gym since probably... July.

I manage a lot better when school is out, but when it's in, and after school is done I'm looking at 2 hours of free time a day, I'm just not completely willing to give that time over to exercise. Especially since I truly hate exercise... it's just not a fun thing for me, it's something I have to make myself do. Bad me, I know. But I do unofficial exercise (I like that term), such as walking my dog, cleaning house, always taking the stairs and parking in the farthest row, etc.

Now when school is not in session, I'm pretty good about my workouts and will generally stick to a routine of 45 mins cardio + 20 mins weights 4x a week.

I started going to the gym when I'd already lost 74lbs (bout a month ago).

I'd say I did pretty well without it, but I hate to think where I'd be now, if I had made an effort. I'm honestly not going to the gym to lose more weight, I'm happy at ther pace I was going at.... I just want to tighten things up, and maybe end up a little less flabby! (but I won't complain if I do lose better with going to the gym!)

I have found that my rate of loss increases with exercise and slows to almost a halt when I get off track and miss my sessions at the gym.

As much work as it is - exercise is a neccessary evil.

Its so worthwhile and necessary. Yes you can lose weight without exercise. You need lots of cardio to lose weight but strength training is extremely important too. Now if only I'd take my own advice, I run a lot but I havent lifted a weight in six months.

Result - I'm smaller all over, I'm so fit I could just about run a marathon but I still look not pudgy but soft. I need some muscles to really get the body I always dreamed of.

I have lost 51 pounds and haven't exercised but I've had neck and foot surgery's right before my banding and can't yet. I'm hoping before too much longer I can do the treadmill at least. I do think it's slowed my weight loss down though. It's been 4 months since banding and still just lost the 51 pounds. Hope this helps.

Geez.... I've been banded 6 months and just now broke the 52 pound barrier and I HAVE been excercising for the past 4 months at least! I guess having a leaking port and no restriction played a part in the slow loss. I am THRILLED with my loss so far! I'm almost half way there!

I lost 68 lbs without any exercise and not watching what I ate!

I have not lost anything in about 6 months and in fact have been struggling to lose 5 lbs that I put on!!!

I have to start exercising if I am to lose anymore weight.

So ,yes you can still lose but eventually will have to work at it

For those of you that hate to exercise or find it difficult....try CURVES!! I love it...so much I even recently got hired at my local one...so now I'm a CURVES trainer.