Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so I got my surgery jan 5th, my best friend is going to hers sometime next month. In her classes they say that it is possible to stretch sleeve out and gain all weight back within a couple years ! Especially by drinking beer and carbonation. I was told this isn't possible. Was curious on what others were told by nut.

I was also told that carbonation can stretch your sleeve.

Sleeves don't stretch. If you can handle 4 oz at a few months, you might be just over a cup in 1-2 years. The stretchy part has been cut out.

I drink a soda every day and I still have massive restriction. We have the capability to burp. Any excess gas from the carbonation is expelled. Yes, the nutritionist will tell you not to drink diet soda, but sometimes I swallow more air with my Crystal Light.

You can stretch a pouch, but not a sleeve. A pouch is made from different tissue.

P.S. I am a year and two months out.

What makes you gain weight is eating slider foods like chips, milkshakes, ice cream and junk food. Also cake, pastries, white rice, white bread and other nutritionally devoid foods. What makes you gain weight is returning to the habits that got us here in the first place.

Protein first, then a little veggie and fruit and if room a bite of two of healthy carbs.

Sleeves don't stretch. If you can handle 4 oz at a few months' date=' you might be just over a cup in 1-2 years. The stretchy part has been cut out.

I drink a soda every day and I still have massive restriction. We have the capability to burp. Any excess gas from the carbonation is expelled. Yes, the nutritionist will tell you not to drink diet soda, but sometimes I swallow more air with my Crystal Light.

You can stretch a pouch, but not a sleeve. A pouch is made from different tissue.

P.S. I am a year and two months out.[/quote']

What's the difference between a pouch and a sleeve ?

What's the difference between a pouch and a sleeve ?

The part of the stomach that is used, and the shape of it. The pouch in gastric bypass is made from a different area of the stomach. As catracks said, the pouch is made from a stretchier part of the stomach. The sleeve is made of the more dense part of the stomach. It is harder to stretch.

Recent studies prove that the VSG is just as effective as the gastric bypass (ie patients lose just as much and are as successful in keeping it off) and the gastric bypass also entails having your intestines rerouted for malabsorption. But regardless, either surgery is just a tool. It is very possible to fail with either surgery. In the weeks following a VSG, the patient has to commit to changing their lifestyle, or it won't work. But neither will the gastric bypass. Just ask Carly Wilson or Star Jones.

"After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery patients are left with a tiny new stomach - often called a "pouch." Although the pouch starts out very small immediately after surgery, it changes over time. The remaining small intestines also change..."

http://voices.yahoo.com/understanding-roux-en-y-gastric-pouch-3161015.html?cat=5

We have a sleeve. We have our original stomachs with the stretchy greater curvature cut out.

post-46516-1381366351629_thumb.jpg

A bariatric surgeon from Kaiser South Bay told me the other day that the RnY is used less often these days. I believe that the surgeons that are comfortable using the RnY sometimes push it on their patients. As the surgeon told me, the sleeve is # 1. I love his feedback..... :)

Just about 20 months out, here. Still have excellent restriction. My surgeon told me that it would take a real effort to stretch your sleeve and it would be near impossible to get it back to original size. He likened it to a wallet. Brand new, it is tight and over time, it will loosen a little, but stretch ... ? No.

People who gain weight back (I'm talking a lot of weight, not just 5-10 lbs) are flat out eating and drinking things they shouldn't. Their sleeve isn't stretched- they are eating foods that slide right down and therefore they don't feel the restriction as much and just keep eating. The sleeve is not a cure, it's work.

-Kendra

A bariatric surgeon from Kaiser South Bay told me the other day that the RnY is used less often these days. I believe that the surgeons that are comfortable using the RnY sometimes push it on their patients. As the surgeon told me, the sleeve is # 1. I love his feedback..... :)

(chanting) We're #1! We're #1!

Just about 20 months out, here. Still have excellent restriction. My surgeon told me that it would take a real effort to stretch your sleeve and it would be near impossible to get it back to original size. He likened it to a wallet. Brand new, it is tight and over time, it will loosen a little, but stretch ... ? No.

Mine was the size of a football probably. More like damned impossible instead of near impossible. I have heard the wallet analogy? comparison? before and it makes sense.

My surgeon does mostly RNY and tried to tell me that I wouldn't lose the weight without the threat of dumping syndrome and malabsorption. He said that I would probably end up at 189 or so. Boy, did I ever prove him wrong! I'm still losing.

I wish a sleeve could be stretched. My stomach was so badly damaged by the complications that my restriction is significant. So much so that I am now facing needing to supplement my calorie basis for life due to the restriction. If drinking a few soda's could fix that you betcha I would be doing so. That just isn't the case.

Is the procedure they do for strictures an option?