Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

running and incline?

I have heard that it is a good idea to run with an incline on the treadmill, so I tried that today. 5k at 1-2%, alternating depending on when I got too tired at 2.0%. Is this a good incline to start with? I did OK, but ran the 5k about 3 min slower @ 28 min. What would you recommend as a progressive training so I get uses to running hills in about 2 weeks. Not too tired, but quads are burning a little ( good right?). I also felt my IT bands tighten a bit while running.

Sheesh.. I'm tired from just reading what you did ;P

Whenever I put the treadmill on an incline, I get wicked shin splints....

I am asking for two reasons:

1. Not to get injured

2. Train for my first race

I used to train exclusively on treadmills. Lived in an area that I really couldn't run in (a little too sketchy). I did about 6 5ks and about 2 10's. I always set my incline at about 2% and as I got closer to the time to run, I would up it more. If I knew the course, it helped that way I would try to match the hills on the treadmill. If I didn't, I just started at 2% and went up. Never go beyond 8% though. Since I started back, I run the random setting on the treadmill and set the intensity up to about 6, that way you get the hills and the down hill too.

Whenever I put the treadmill on an incline, I get wicked shin splints....

A lot of time shin splints have to do with the shoes you have. Make sure you get a good pair of running shoes and have them fitted. Some of the run stores actually have treadmills in the store that all them to check your gait and they can make a good recommendation on a good pair. My daughter had this problem, until we got her fitted now she never has a problem.

Just curious ... why not run outside? I, too, trained on treadmills early on, but once I tried running outside, I couldn't bare to be on a treadmill anymore. I got such a better workout.

I used to train exclusively on treadmills. Lived in an area that I really couldn't run in (a little too sketchy). I did about 6 5ks and about 2 10's. I always set my incline at about 2% and as I got closer to the time to run' date=' I would up it more. If I knew the course, it helped that way I would try to match the hills on the treadmill. If I didn't, I just started at 2% and went up. Never go beyond 8% though. Since I started back, I run the random setting on the treadmill and set the intensity up to about 6, that way you get the hills and the down hill too.[/quote']

Thanks- that is very practical advice.

A lot of time shin splints have to do with the shoes you have. Make sure you get a good pair of running shoes and have them fitted. Some of the run stores actually have treadmills in the store that all them to check your gait and they can make a good recommendation on a good pair. My daughter had this problem' date=' until we got her fitted now she never has a problem.[/quote']

Agree, bought some high end running Nikes a couple months ago and love them. They are so light, yet really absorb shock well. No injuries yet and I highly recommend spending the dough on a good pair that is fitted to your foot and style of running.

Just curious ... why not run outside? I' date=' too, trained on treadmills early on, but once I tried running outside, I couldn't bare to be on a treadmill anymore. I got such a better workout.[/quote']

I believe the answer to this is that I am trying to build up my skill level first before adding in the challenges of uneven ground, roots, hungry dogs, etc. The weather is just starting to improve enough where running outside even makes sense. Even though I am a life long Seattlelite, I do not particularly enjoy running in the rain or cold weather. Sorry- I am a wimp when it comes to being a die hard outdoor enthusiast, even though I love hiking. Go figure.

Ha!

You should try it for a week. I think you will find that being on a treadmill actually stunts your skill. As you can see from my name, we are in pretty similar climates. I TOTALLY prefer running in a light mist/sprinkle. The cooler, the better (but not freezing, of course) My last race was on the 4th of July and it was miserable. 6 AM start, which helped, but still, eech!

When you are on a treadmill, you will be using the same isometric muscles over and over. When you are out on a course, street, trail or track, you will be using everything you will need in a race, for sure. Might be time for you to go to the next level.

Ha!

You should try it for a week. I think you will find that being on a treadmill actually stunts your skill. As you can see from my name' date=' we are in pretty similar climates. I TOTALLY prefer running in a light mist/sprinkle. The cooler, the better (but not freezing, of course) My last race was on the 4th of July and it was miserable. 6 AM start, which helped, but still, eech!

When you are on a treadmill, you will be using the same isometric muscles over and over. When you are out on a course, street, trail or track, you will be using everything you will need in a race, for sure. Might be time for you to go to the next level.[/quote']

I will consider it and definitely appreciate feedback from all of you seasoned runners. You are role models to us newer runners. For me it is all about aggregating information from a lot of different sources and picking out the suggestions that will work for my goals. I am a fairly flexible person and learn something new every time I read a post on VST.

I have no experience running, whatsoever. I started about 2 months ago. My hubby is a runner and recommends an incline of at least 2, but at 3. helps prepare you better for running outside and uphill.

At first, it was so hard. I have arthritis in my knees, but since losing some weight, the pain has all but subsided. Now I do walk runs (walk for 3 minutes, run for 2 until I reach the desired distance). I always run at a 3 incline, regardless of the speed. I have no problems with the incline, but it did take a few weeks to be able to do it without feeling exhausted! Eventually, I want to be able to run for 30 minutes without walking in between. That's where I am :)

I've read many times that you need to set the incline at 2% just to simulate running outside on level ground. No personal experience but it makes sense. I will add, I've been freezing all winter. I've never been this cold in my life. But it's amazing how light I can dress while running in the cold weather and still feel good. It's the one time the cold doesn't bother me...except my hands. Anything under 50 and I feel better wearing gloves but I still wear shorts and a long sleeve heavyweight dri fit shirt plus a compression shirt underneath.

I've read many times that you need to set the incline at 2% just to simulate running outside on level ground. No personal experience but it makes sense. I will add' date=' I've been freezing all winter. I've never been this cold in my life. But it's amazing how light I can dress while running in the cold weather and still feel good. It's the one time the cold doesn't bother me...except my hands. Anything under 50 and I feel better wearing gloves but I still wear shorts and a long sleeve heavyweight dri fit shirt plus a compression shirt underneath.[/quote']

Oh man, I had a sore left Achilles tendon yesterday after the inclined treadmill (up to 2.5%). Took yesterday off. Feeling better today and ran 1 hour with incline between. 5 and 1. Funny thing is that when I put it down to 0 at 30 min mark for 5 min, my shin and knees felt a little more stress. Maybe from overcompensation after incline run. Put it back up to .5-1

.0 for remainder of run. Here is to hoping I wake up tomorrow without a sore tendon. I am doing this incline to increase my performance during a race. I also do HIIT for that, but usually for only 30 min at a time.