Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erosion & loss of restriction

Penni & Teresa, I hope you guys see this since it's in response to your posts on Alex's thread. Thank you so much for doing the research for me.

Dr. Kuri called me, and he did not check for erosion. He suggested I get a scopey if I'm worried. But unless something weird happens, I'm not making an appointment for one. I figure I'll let my band do the talking, and unless it's screaming at me, I'm going to leave it alone.

However, just to make sure I worried till I fell asleep, last night I lost all restriction. BOOM, gone. First time. Last night was my first mini binge since being banded. After dinner, I kept eating chicken from the roasting pan. Then I ate 2 Pringles (that's all that was left) then I ate 1/4 cup chile with chips, then 3 Cookies, then a few ounces beef jerkey. I have no idea where that came from or why it happened. Zero restriction. I could have kept eating. That's the first time since my band that I got out of control. I went to bed a little uncomfy, but no reflux or horrible pain.

I just ate a Protein bar this morning and feel it in my sternum, so maybe I have a little restriction back. Damn, I certainly hope so. But even without restriction, what the hell happened to my willpower last night? Worry warts eat it?

Get this, Sara at Dr. Billy's office said that even altitude affects restriction. She says people get fills at one altitude, but once they get home to either lower or higher, their restriction can change a lot. Now I have to wonder if bariatric (haha, I mean barametric) pressure works the same way.

We have a storm coming, and it always makes my eyes hurt. Our funny little bands might even be affected by lightening or the tides!

Lisa, why don't you see your local gastrologist? Say you want a scope because of hiatal hernia problems, reflux. While you're at it, might as well get the lower scope done at the same time. (That would check for colon polyps, diverticulitis, etc.) It's the same routine for both tests, so get them both approved, covered by insurance, and your peace of mind. That way they'll check you from "stem to stern".

I could easily get my insurance to cover it, but the thought of one more doctor visit right now prevents my fingers from dialing the appointment desk. Right before my band surgery, I had ever test under the sun including an endocsope. Dumb doctors should have just looked at my size and weight and told me I eat too much, and that's why I was having so many problems. They poked and prodded and imaged. I've taken way too much time off work already. Plus, I'd have to see my primary doctor, who would refer me to my gastro, who would refer me to the lab, who would then refer me back to my gastro to go over results. So we're not talking one appointment, more like 4. They'll do anything for a co-payment!

Sounds like you have the same insurance company I do! They run you around in circles, hoping that you'll just give up. I was just trying to figure out a way that you could get the insurance company to pay for the endoscope. I know it's no "quick solution" but maybe it would help you financially.

Maybe now that I already have a relationship with my gastro doctor I won't have to go through my primary again. I'll try calling them and asking over the phone for a scopey. But my insurance paid for one about a year ago. I think I'll just have a Bloody Mary when I get home. That seems to solve all my problems with one easy solution.

You big goof Lisa,

I am sure your fine. Also being a student of science, I can probably support the fact that barometric pressure affects the band. Look how temperature affects car tires and balloons. I am sure we still will on occassion feel the urge to over eat. I try to always have those low fat/low sugar ones around so that if I feel the urge to keep eating at least its not a lot of calories. I told you about those low calorie cheese puffs. YUMMY and the healthy choice ice cream bars, another YUMMY. If you count the calories make sure you count your screw up calories too. Its not a big deal. I tend to have 2-3 days where I stick perfectly in a week and am at 1200 calories exactly, then I'll have 2-3 days where I eat more like 1300-1400 calories and about once a week I'll have a day where I somehow managed to fit 1500-1600 calories in. I am still losing so its not a big deal to me. Excercise!!! Drink water!!! Everyone has their week moments once in awhile. Teresa:p

T, I'm glad you agree with me on barometric pressure (you science show off!) I always feel ill with painful eyes when the desert skies go afunk. But you'd think it would give me more pressure/restriction, not less. However, my body always does the opposite of everyone elses.

And NO, I do not count calories. Sorry, Charlie, but that's the reason I got the band. I started dieting way too young in life. I was probably 12 when I first started crazy diets, so if you ask me to count a calorie or weigh an ounce, I'll lose my mind. You are right though, some days are easy, other days monsters take over my brain.

I'm lonely and bored. Where is everyone today? Can't somebody stir up some trouble around here?

And as far as making an appointment for an scopey-scope, NO WAY. You guys need to remind me that if they find erosion, they'll want my band! So what they don't know won't hurt them.

My band is fine. It's my brain they need to scope.

I was wondering where everyone is too. I don't feel like I am doing the typical dieting with the band. I just count calories to keep an eye on them and my Vitamin intake I am getting from the food. I am with you. I think I started my first official diet at about 8 or 9 years old. Have a good day! Teresa

Just stay focused, once we get pass that fear stage when have a tendency to test the waters. A little extra eating every once in a while is not the end, but try not to do it often. Just always remember why you did it and what your goals are. Stay strong mama!:)

Dizzy, you have the right idea. Just yesterday I asked my husband to stop making such a big deal about my 40 pound weight loss. Because this is about the time my mind starts sabotaging my success. Something about losing 40 pounds is really scary, like a mental block that won't allow me to continue my loss. I think 40 pounds is about when people start noticing weight loss on me since I'm so tall. As soon as people start noticing, it's like I run the opposite way.

If I eat again like that tonight, I'm on my way to trouble. Eating like that once in awhile is okay, but if I do anything 2 nights in a row, I'm in trouble.

I wish my husband wasn't so focused on food all the time. Like last night he made dinner, and he made yummy noises about the meal about 25 times and kept asking me "don't you love this, and have you taken a bite of that?" I've asked him hundreds of times to please downplay food, instead of focusing on it, but you can't change him. He's so into food, which makes it harder for me.

Yeah, I know what you are saying..I am 5'10. I have faith in you, you made this big move towards surgery and I know you will not lose track. Especially with such a supportive board behind you.

At one point I thought I was eating just so much and was going to start gaining weight, but I had to put it into perspective. I was not eating as much as I used to...it was a bit more than what I ate when I first had the band done...but I was still on track.

I say you try some healthy Snacks for those times. Air or stove popped popcorn (use olive oil), fruit, yogurt, animal crackers...just watch your portions

I'm no student of science, but I will throw out there what I've read.

Apparently, liquid filled things do NOT react to atmospheric pressure like AIR filled things - so if the band was flushed properly, and doesn't contain air (like it shouldn't) there should not be a difference in restriction due to the band/altitude. However, many people's bodies retain Fluid when flying or at different altitudes, and THAT can affect your feeling of restriction. If you're retaining fluids, it is very possible that your band will feel tighter.

Just my second-hand two cents worth... :)

Donali, you make my head spin! Last night I laughed as I thought of you. Tim the Toolman asked his neighbor, "Wilson, what DON'T you know?" Wilson said, "I don't know."

I'm not sure how to interpret your post. Am I supposed to go flying to get my restriction back? Or should I just drink some salt Water to retain Fluid? Maybe that's why Bloody Marys should be on the "Good Foods" list because the salt will bloat us and therefore make our band tighter. Sounds like good justifcation to me. Or am I supposed to hold my breath to keep air in?

Simplify it please... remember, I'm 100% Polish. And how nice of you to show your face!

Oh, and Dizzy, the problem with last night is I NEEDED junk food. It wasn't a want or an urge, it was a flipping need. I don't know what overcame me.

I've also used your thought process of "at least I ate way less than I used to." However, I'm not sure how that works now that I'm down 40 pounds. Because now my body needs much less food to maintain this weight. Damn, damn, damn. I want my restriction back! Maybe I'll go to the farm store and buy one of those salt-lick things that people give their horses to ensure a nice high bloat factor. Then I can get some pretty new blood pressure pills.

DON'T THROW YOUR SHOE AT ME.