Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG Im really doing this...my surgery date is Feb 27...tiny bit nervous

So I got the call Thursday that my surgery was approved and scheduled for the 27th of Feb YAY!

Truth is- I am as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs....

Im 43 let myself go from being a 145 5'8 33 year old who never had a weight problem baloon into a 260 pound 43 year old.

And now It has to come to this.

I am excited to see what I look like after all this comes off..will my face be full of wrinkles now that I have no more fat? Will all my hair fall out? Will I turn into a raging alcoholic? ( thats one of the big warnings)

Will I still be hungry?

How will I comfort myself when I am stressed out or my worse eating trigger...exhaustion.

These things actually worry me more that the actual surgery..

Will people know I had surgery when I start showing up places getting thinner and thinner?

So much to consider...but Id rather not be fat chick anymore...tried it for ten years...not a big fan..

Good luck with the surgery. Everyone is nervous prior, it's normal. All the best!

This is the best thing you will ever do for yourself, and you won't regret it. Do everything your dr. tells you to, and take advantage of the opportunity to truly change your way of life. Don't go back to old habits of eating unhealthy food. You will lose hair, but it passes and you won't be bald, though it will feel like you are losing an insane amount of hair. You won't ever feel hungry the same way again, and there is no reason to be an alcoholic. Start working on those triggers that make you turn to food now, and find new ways to cope. Some people will comment on your loss, and some won't. I just told people I changed the priorities in my life, limit my food portions and exercise more: all true. I occasionally tell people I had surgery, especially if they are struggling with weight, just because I don't want to lead them on, but it really isn't an issue. My health is improved beyond expectations, I have a ton of energy, shopping is a delight, and although my husband has always been a true friend and partner, our relationship is like new after 25 years of marriage. You are doing a good thing for yourself, this is exciting! Good luck.

Hi jacee,

And congratulations on your date!

I'm 46 and had this surgery 3months ago so I've only lost 46 pounds so far but I'm happy to report my face is bouncing back pretty good so far. Now my thighs that's a different story :P

But I will take it over being miserable!

Even though I have a lot more weight to lose I already feel so good. It's so nice to be able to walk out in the world again and feel good about being there!

I guess this is the place to tell you the good things, Jacee. I am 13 days out. I am 47. 5'2". I also webt from a 125 lb 20 year old to a 250 lb 45 year old i am sick of being a fat girl too My HW was 257. SW 241. CW 223.

34 pounds. 18 in the last 13 days. I have been on a CPAP machine for the last four years. Within 10 days of the surgery, I no longer

needed it.

SMO do you feel deprived? are you craving your old standbyes?

I woke up in recovery with a total absence of hunger. It is hard to describe. I really struggled with compliance during pre-op diet because I thought I was starving. I have not felt any such feeling since surgery. I have some sensations in my tummy that I think might be my new "hunger" but they are not the same nagging, insistent feelings. food smells good. I was shopping yesterday at a store next to a KFC. The smells coming out were pleasant. They did not cause me to want to run over and buy a bucket. I don't start softs until tomorrow. I really am anxious to do that because I see moving on to food as a release from the every 15 minute schedule I am currently on. I am really surprised that I am not greiving more for my old friends: pizza, bread and butter, donuts and diet coke. They just don't hold any appeal for me right now.

Awesome. SMO I was worried that I would be needing to be nurtured by food after going thru surgery and being in pain becuase that is how I would have handled it, with a pair of nicely buttered english muffins to be exact..lol

One of my friends who was sleeved a few years ago had a bit more of a struggle. But she has struggled with eating disorders. I think that complicated things for her. If physical hunger was your primary motivation, I think you will find that it has lost it's power over you. If, however, your primary issue is emotional eating, you will have to find new ways to deal with the emotions when eating is removed as an option. My friend had a few difficult days. She said it felt like drug withdrawal.

I'm right there with you Jacee!!! My surgery is Feb. 26. I'm thinking posative....and not letting worry sneak in!!! I'm taking control of my health & body!!!

I had mine a year ago at 39. Best thing I ever did. You won't regret it and will be blown away in a year. It's rough at first and requires changing your thinking, but if you are truly motivated it will be great. Here's to healthier forties!!!

Kinda new to this forum. My surg date is Feb 27 also. A little nervous as I have no family living near me, they are all about 1300 miles away. Have 2 good friends who will be looking in on me once I get home. The hospital I will be at is 40 miles from my home because that is where my Dr practices as he runs the Bariatric Division at that hospital. My friends are going to drive me there and back. I purposely selected this particular Dr. because of his experience and that particular hospital is one of excellence. I have been on the Pre-Surg for 9 days and just weighed myself for the first time. I actually lost 10 pounds. I was thrilled. I plan to return to this forum and swap info, recipes that help, etc. I was always height/weight proportionate until I was injured in a fall Oct 21, 1998 (I'll never forget that date) but now have gained more than I am comfortable with and now I have Osteoarthritis which has resulted in the need for a hip and knee replacement, and back surgery may also be needed later if the hip and knee surgery doesn't help enough. My goal is to lose 100 lbs. Impossible for me to work out because of the hip, knee and back pain, but they just repaired our pool where I live (it's been down) but once my incisions heal, I plan to make good use of it.

Hi all,

I'm right there with you, my surgery date is this coming Tues. 2/19. The closer it gets, the more worried I get. Will I be uncomfortable and unable to sleep in the hospital? Will two weeks off work afterwards be enough? I feel like I can handle the other stuff, but the whole experience of having surgery is new for me. Today I cleaned my house, did all the laundry I could find, and a bunch of other things around the house in case I'm unable to do them in the next couple weeks after surgery.

I just keep reminding myself why I'm doing this, and thinking long-term rather than the next month of liquids etc. I'll be 30 this fall, and I'm looking forward to going out for my birthday with friends and not be preoccupied with how I look etc. I never want to see a number >300 on my scale again, and this surgery is a great tool to make sure that I don't.

That's my surgery date also. Who is your doctor?

That's my surgery date also. Who is your doctor?

My Dr Valerie Halprin