Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Items that Swell in your Stomach?

popcorn may increase your hunger afterwards ! It has too little Protein !

Popcorn may increase your hunger afterwards ! It has too little Protein !

From what I see, it looks like non whole grain bread is the problem (Cibatta is flour and not good for you) popcorn is a grain, and since our bodies cannot digest corn it's likely they cannot digest popcorn. I'm 4 days post op and I haven't stopped feeling bloated or gassy . Nurses and doctors said its normal. Sure is uncomfortable and all I've had is Water, broth, Atkins shakes and Jello. I can't even hold the full 3 Ozs like the reccomended amount. I'm barely at 1.5

Also, sugars are hidden (such as aspartamene in the sugar free Jello which can cause swelling). There are good food calculators that give full and inflammation factors, things like lactose, sucrose (sp?) all that kind of stuff. My doctor told me to keep foods easy to digest at hand and nothing with skins, peals, etc.

I've found that rice actually makes me sick. My dietician says it should be cooked very very well or it could expand in your stomach :o

I blend 1 cup of fresh baby spinach leaves to my smoothie every morning. I've been doing this since week 4 with no problem.

I blend 1 cup of fresh baby spinach into my smoothie every morning. I've been doing this since week 4 without any problems.

Starchy foods are the only ones that I noticed. I'm two years out and one of the only foods I still don't tolerate well is tortillas. It was months before I could eat starches other than very well toasted whole grain bread and a couple of saltine crackers. Almost anything starchy got me including potatoes, rice, Pasta, bread, and Cereal.

I didn't eat popcorn for quite a few months and when I did I started small. It's a slider food for me now so I avoid it most of the time.

Lynda

You should not try a "full" bar. That would not only stretch in your stomach, but probably win you a Darwin award of the year. In case you do not know, a "full" bar is designed to expand, fill your stomach and stimulate WLS restriction if eaten 20 minutes before a meal.

Can anyone explain what they mean when they say things like "my tummy doesn't like it" or "I can't tolerate that anymore" Does it make you throw up, give you pain, make you bloated??? I have not had surgery yet but just curious to know the sensations everyone experiences when they say that they can't tolerate certain things.

Can anyone explain what they mean when they say things like "my tummy doesn't like it" or "I can't tolerate that anymore" Does it make you throw up' date=' give you pain, make you bloated??? I have not had surgery yet but just curious to know the sensations everyone experiences when they say that they can't tolerate certain things.[/quote']

For me it means it sits in my stomach like a brick. Just a few bites and it hurts. The only thing that does it to me are refried Beans.

Can anyone explain what they mean when they say things like "my tummy doesn't like it" or "I can't tolerate that anymore" Does it make you throw up' date=' give you pain, make you bloated??? I have not had surgery yet but just curious to know the sensations everyone experiences when they say that they can't tolerate certain things.[/quote']

When i say that, it means It hurts from bloating, or causes gas, heartburn or diarrhea. Different foods caused different issues for me:

Milk products: gas and diarrhea

Spicy or acidic foods: heartburn

Doughy foods: bloated feeling

Lynda

Recently caffeine has been giving me stomach pains. Not sure why now. Beef seems to sit heavy in my stomach recently also and leaves me feeling a little unsettled. Has anyone lose got a feeling like kicked or punched in the stomach after eating something that used to be fine previously? Not that I have ever really been kicked or punched, but I am guessing that is close to what the feeling is like. I hope this is just a phase.

Recently caffeine has been giving me stomach pains. Not sure why now. Beef seems to sit heavy in my stomach recently also and leaves me feeling a little unsettled. Has anyone lose got a feeling like kicked or punched in the stomach after eating something that used to be fine previously? Not that I have ever really been kicked or punched' date=' but I am guessing that is close to what the feeling is like. I hope this is just a phase.[/quote']

Fiddle,

So far no food has given me that 'kicked in the stomach' feeling, but when I started back up exercising ( walking, swimming, Water aerobics) I got that exact feeling. Each day it has gotten better and no occurrences of it the past few days. Btw I am at 5 weeks PO.

For me it ranges from feeling very heavy in my stomach, to feeling like I could just split in half (protein shakes and cream of rice both did this to me). Also occasionally heartburn. I am having most trouble with dairy and that terrible cream of rice ( which I threw out after the first meal).

Thanks everyone for your replies. So when this happens do you just wait while it eventually passes or is there anything you can do to ease the discomfort.