Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

You all are doing so well! I had a really good run on Sunday. I planned on running for 36 minutes, but was so close to 5K that I decided to keep running. It felt great! Then yesterday I had a horrible run. I completely ran out of energy after about 1.8 miles. I had to stop and walk. Then my back started aching and my knee was hurting. It sucked! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run to see how it goes. Going to try to do extra stretches today to see if I can work out the kink in my back.

You all are doing so well! I had a really good run on Sunday. I planned on running for 36 minutes' date=' but was so close to 5K that I decided to keep running. It felt great! Then yesterday I had a horrible run. I completely ran out of energy after about 1.8 miles. I had to stop and walk. Then my back started aching and my knee was hurting. It sucked! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run to see how it goes. Going to try to do extra stretches today to see if I can work out the kink in my back.[/quote']

I can relate to this. I've had many runs where I bonked way before I should have. For me, it's all about fueling. I do not follow the typical dietary advice that every running expert in the world recommends...I just can't tolerate all the carb loading. My body doesn't like it. So to run long on low carbs, I have to force myself to start off very slow. Slower than I'd like, but it keeps my body burning fat for fuel instead of glycogen. As the run goes on I typically pick up speed without even realizing it. But if I start too fast, I will run out of glycogen within 2 miles and it feels like I just dropped into the 9th circle of hell. It can be very frustrating....and if you get 2 or 3 of those in a row, it really shakes your confidence.

Just did the 7 minute workout app by bluefin. It totally kicked my butt. I went through it twice for a total of 14 minutes and then 20 minutes on the stationary bike. I think I got a good workout today.

Much better run today after bonking on Tuesday. I ran for 45 min straight. It seems like it's so much easier to add time to my run than it did at the beginning. Just two weeks ago I was only able to run 30 min. I've added 15 minutes in two weeks. Not planning on continuing to do that, but it feels like a great accomplishment.

Meanwhile, I lost 4 pounds this week! How awesome is that! I'm only 12 pounds from my goal weight (175). I'm going to see how things feel when I get there and decide if I'm going to go any lower. I'm 5'11" and currently wearing a size 12 or 14. 175 will put me at a normal BMI, but I'd like some wiggle room.

I love reading about everyone's accomplishments... keep up the great work!

I can relate to this. I've had many runs where I bonked way before I should have. For me' date=' it's all about fueling. I do not follow the typical dietary advice that every running expert in the world recommends...I just can't tolerate all the carb loading. My body doesn't like it. So to run long on low carbs, I have to force myself to start off very slow. Slower than I'd like, but it keeps my body burning fat for fuel instead of glycogen. As the run goes on I typically pick up speed without even realizing it. But if I start too fast, I will run out of glycogen within 2 miles and it feels like I just dropped into the 9th circle of hell. It can be very frustrating....and if you get 2 or 3 of those in a row, it really shakes your confidence.[/quote']

I'm running pretty slow already, but I'm going to try this on my runs this week to see if it helps with weight loss. I was so happy to have a good run today.

Didn't do c25k today but I did have a NSV(sorry if this is a duplicate story) ... While I was waiting on my mom to land, I parked and went into the airport and walked around baggage claim, I had around 45 minutes, did over three miles, and as I was walking, I had to control myself because my body wanted to run....WANTED TO RUN !? what? I had to give myself a mental pat on the back... It was awesome!

That's awesome, Melissa!

I just finished W8D3 of Couch to 10K (which I have been doing by accident this whole time instead of Couch to 5K). Today was a 35-minute run with 5 minutes of walking on either side. Including the walking, I made it 4.8 km. So I am still pretty slow but I ran for 35 minutes! I'm a bit nervous about continuing this because the time just keeps going up and up, but I'll keep it up and see what happens!

That's awesome' date=' Melissa! I just finished W8D3 of Couch to 10K (which I have been doing by accident this whole time instead of Couch to 5K). Today was a 35-minute run with 5 minutes of walking on either side. Including the walking, I made it 4.8 km. So I am still pretty slow but I ran for 35 minutes! I'm a bit nervous about continuing this because the time just keeps going up and up, but I'll keep it up and see what happens![/quote']

It really gets easier to add time now. I went from 30 min runs to 45 min runs in two weeks. It seems to be more mental than physical at this point. When I stop running, I usually feel like I could keep going for a lot longer. I force myself to stop because I don't want to cause an injury.

I think we're running about the same pace. I looked back for a 35 min run with 5 min walking before and after and I found one that was 44 min total and almost the same distance as yours (2.9 miles or 4.67km).

So what do you guys think is a good running pace for weight loss? I am I believe on week 7 and my running pace is usually around 12:00 minute miles.

Thanks,

So what do you guys think is a good running pace for weight loss? I am I believe on week 7 and my running pace is usually around 12:00 minute miles.

Thanks' date='[/quote']

Wow....that is such a highly individualized question. Here's the thing, the faster you run the less time you'll be able to maintain it. Plus, the faster you run the more you burn glucose for fuel instead of fat. That doesn't mean you won't still lose weight...you absolutely will....but it does mean you have to restock that glucose once it runs out....meaning carb load. I run slower so I stay in a fat burning mode more often....mainly because I don't tolerate those high carb foods very well, but you might be fine with them. Some days I still run 12 minute miles, and I'm perfectly happy with that because my goal is to run long not necessarily fast. It's also my goal to prevent injury, and running faster certainly increases that risk to some degree. But again, what's detrimental for my body may be perfectly fine for you. So I say run whatever's comfortable and sustainable, and let the weight loss take care of itself.

Wow....that is such a highly individualized question. Here's the thing' date=' the faster you run the less time you'll be able to maintain it. Plus, the faster you run the more you burn glucose for fuel instead of fat. That doesn't mean you won't still lose weight...you absolutely will....but it does mean you have to restock that glucose once it runs out....meaning carb load. I run slower so I stay in a fat burning mode more often....mainly because I don't tolerate those high carb foods very well, but you might be fine with them. Some days I still run 12 minute miles, and I'm perfectly happy with that because my goal is to run long not necessarily fast. It's also my goal to prevent injury, and running faster certainly increases that risk to some degree. But again, what's detrimental for my body may be perfectly fine for you. So I say run whatever's comfortable and sustainable, and let the weight loss take care of itself.[/quote']

Great question! I was thinking the same. I started couch to 5k yesterday and I'm more or less jogging and not running due to 2 injured knees.