Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so here is is- I have pondered weight loss surgery forever. I have taken the steps and had an appointment with the Doctor and have been approved by my insurance company. This took place back in November and I told my wife I would make my decision after the holidays- so here it is February, and I haven't done anything yet.

I am at a loss of what to do.... I am not sure if I am frightened of the pain, or the new life I will get to live now with no excuses. I use the excuse of the sleeve being so permanent and how young I am. At the same time I am 34 years old and a new Dad . I know the right choice every morning when I leave my house and say good bye to my 4 month old and wife. I have a panic attack on the way to work thinking today could be the day it all catches up with me and I don't come home. When I think about it later I think I can do it myself like I have before. Have you all been there before ..Are there any regrets?

Yep, I regret I didnt do it at your age.. I waited until 55

No regrets. I've said to people before, I'd lost all optimism for losing weight through diet and exercise like I had many times before. I knew it was time.

I think you need to get really clear in your mind what it is you are actually anxious about. That way you can think about it rationally, not emotionally, and make a decision. One way or the other.

Good luck,

Deano

I'm 27 and did it because it was really the right choice. I was extremely healthy no comorbidies no high anything but it wasn't going to stay that way forever so I decided to do it because I'm healthy and at less risk for complications then waiting a few years when my body is shutting down.

Because the sleeve is permanent there will be no more more yo-yo dieting. It's a permanent life change. I'm 40 yrs old and I have 3 daughters and WLS has been the best decision I have made. You know it's the right decision but you have to get there mentally and emotionally. Find a support group in your area, so you can see the success. I missed out on a lot with my daughters.

Best of luck!!

Think about it, I hope whatever decision you make you are happy and healthy !

I have no regrets, I have 2 daughters 6 k 10 I know I made the right decision!

Okay so here is is- I have pondered weight loss surgery forever. I have taken the steps and had an appointment with the Doctor and have been approved by my insurance company. This took place back in November and I told my wife I would make my decision after the holidays- so here it is February, and I haven't done anything yet.

I am at a loss of what to do.... I am not sure if I am frightened of the pain, or the new life I will get to live now with no excuses. I use the excuse of the sleeve being so permanent and how young I am. At the same time I am 34 years old and a new Dad . I know the right choice every morning when I leave my house and say good bye to my 4 month old and wife. I have a panic attack on the way to work thinking today could be the day it all catches up with me and I don't come home. When I think about it later I think I can do it myself like I have before. Have you all been there before ..Are there any regrets?

I haven't thought about this in some time... I had the same hesitation for several years. I actually started this journey with WLS when the gastric Bypass was more popular than the sleeve. Approx. 15 years ago. I took all the classes, went to all the appointments and backed out when the surgeons office called me to give me the surgery date. Telling myself I could do it myself. 5 more years passed and again I went through all the steps, classes, apps. Etc. and backed out again. Finally, in the summer of 2012 I said enough is enough... Time to face my fear and do this thing. On Nov. 7 th 2012 I had the sleeve done. Honestly, Jackhamptons it is the best decision I have ever made in my life. I do not struggle with food anymore. It is like having built in Portion Control. If you take that extra bite you are uncomfortable and you do not want to do it again.

I do wish you the best in whatever decision you make. I can honestly say my only regret is waiting all those years and losing all that time I can not get back. I have really experienced the Freedom from the drive for food. Food is for nutrition now and nothing else. Take good care! Tina

Jack, would you give up eating all you want if it meant your 4 month old could grow up with a daddy? Or NOT go up obese? I can tell by your post what your answer would be!

I thought about it for four years and came up with every possible excuse and delay that you can think of. I am 35 years old and have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old. I made the decision that I wanted not only to watch the grow up but to be able to do things with them. I got sleeved on 1/3/13 And have lost 50 lbs so far. I still have a long way to go but already have more energy. It was a tough decision to make but I can tell you it was the best thing I ever did. The pain and the change in lifestyle is well worth it in my opinion if it means I am going to be there for my family.

Hello Jack,

I will be sleeved on Monday! I am excited, if somewhat nervous, because I feel like my life is rolling out like a map in front of me from post-op on. I think we have all been where you are. For me I had tried everything and nothing worked. All my hopes and dreams were put on hold and I was like that bird that can't stop banging into the window. Again and again, day after day, Wham! Into the window again.

Well, one day enough was enough and I stopped before hitting the window and knew that something had to give. We only have so much time on this Earth and I want to fulfill my hopes and dreams and not have them held hostage by this weight. If I had forever maybe I would not feel like I cannot wait any longer to reach for the life that I have been put here to lead. This is our fight and you know what, even with surgery it is not going to really go away. We will have a tool to help us in the battle but I truly believe that we need to know what made us start slamming into to the window in the first place.

It is so much more than making an appointment with a surgeon. You have to find out why you are sitting in your car right now feeling the way you are. I personally think it is BS to say "I just like food." Please take some time to figure out why you are where you are now. See a professional at least at the same time you begin this journey and you will learn more about yourself and what has brought you to this threshold. Knowing all of this information will let you know if you want to step over it or turn around and try another path. Whatever you decide it will be the right decision for you. Best of luck on whatever route you choose. Delena

I honestly didnt think I would commit to the sleeve. It's not in my personality to do something so permanent. Somehow it changed as my boys started to grow up and I was on the sidelines. They are 2 and 3 and already I was missing too much. I've dieted my entire life, it was time to finally do something that was permanent and that would last. It was scary, I was terrified but I went through with it. It's been one of the best things I've done for myself.

My surgery was Monday and I feel great. There was some pain but as of today I am 95% back to normal. Even in the peak of my surgery pain, I never had a regret. I wish I never hesitated and went full force.

I want to thank everybody for their kind thoughts on this big decision in my life. I do believe it is the right choice for me and just need to get my head really wrapped around it. I know coming on here has helped a great bit. Being young and having these co-morbidities is what is really helping me make this decision. Blood pressure meds and glucose resistance doesn’t mean good things for my future.

I think what really gets to me is the no excuses for being able to live life to the fullest anymore. I have always had this crutch since high school of being overweight to lean on as an excuse for not doing something. Now having a little boy and wife to take care of makes me think I need to really make a change for myself and them.

Jack

I am there with you I started this process in oct 2013 I was gunho ready to go and I fail my psych and everything came to a screeching halt. I am trying to find out if the sleeve is the best thing or should I go for the lap band if the psychiatrist was right or should I go for a second opinion. I am stuck because all I need is another therapist and my cardiac test results and I am in there but I am trying to see if I can do it on my own I know I can but will it last? Will it last with the surgery? What if I get a leak? Will I survey that? Am I being lazy or should go for it and hope and pray for the best? This is what I go through everyday