Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days out and I can eat everything. is this normal? please read and give input. thanks

Nut told me to follow Dr orders but try to sip on Water thru out the day. So, I'm doing 1 oz Protein drink/hr and about 16oz of water thru out the day....fingers crossed. Btw, she called him 2x to clarify this is really what he wants me eating - he said yes. He doesn't want to risk my pouch stretching and damaging the stitch line. Also, no Vitamins until I'm on food.< /p>

10 days post op, you should not be eating solid foods, unless your doctor says it's okay. I'm not a doctor but people are usually on liquids for 2-3 weeks (or longer) followed by pureed. If you have no Protein drinks left or Soups, you should try to puree all your food into a liquid substance!

I am seven days post-op today. I should also state that I am not one to buck the system, but there is something related to post-op foods that I am missing. I can eat what I want. Although I am sticking to the plan by eating Protein shakes, yogurts and Soups, I have no doubt that I could eat a portion of steak without a problem. My question: If our body can digest healthy foods, why are we "stuck" on liquids and liquid food?

I have no desire to eat pizza or potato chips, but I question why I am stuck eating water-based foods when fresh vegetables and fruits are much healthier and

nutrient-rich.

Thanks!

I am seven days post-op today. I should also state that I am not one to buck the system' date=' but there is something related to post-op foods that I am missing. I can eat what I want. Although I am sticking to the plan by eating Protein shakes, yogurts and Soups, I have no doubt that I could eat a portion of steak without a problem. My question: If our body can digest healthy foods, why are we "stuck" on liquids and liquid food?

I have no desire to eat pizza or potato chips, but I question why I am stuck eating water-based foods when fresh vegetables and fruits are much healthier and

nutrient-rich.

Thanks![/quote']

That's a question that your surgeon should answer for you. Everyone's post op diet is different so you will get tons of different answers. The answer you need is from your surgeon since he has his reasons for giving you his specific guidelines.

Congrats on your recent surgery!!

I am seven days post-op today. I should also state that I am not one to buck the system, but there is something related to post-op foods that I am missing. I can eat what I want. Although I am sticking to the plan by eating Protein shakes, yogurts and Soups, I have no doubt that I could eat a portion of steak without a problem. My question: If our body can digest healthy foods, why are we "stuck" on liquids and liquid food?

nutrient-rich.

Thanks!

Hi, congrats on your surgery...

While I know that you feel you could eat almost anything without an issue, your stomach probably has different ideas. I felt the same way the first few weeks except I was not wondering about fruits and veggies that early --- I was just sick of liquids and wondered why I couldn't have soft/mushy stuff. Everybody's post-op plan is different and they were many people here that could eat mushy/soft (instead of liquids) right after surgery and I was jealous!

I asked my nutritionist about it -- and what she told me actually did make sense. 1) The liquid diet is allowing your stomach to heal without stress. As soon as you start adding solid food your stomach has to produce acid /enzymes to break it down. They don't want your stomach working that hard too early -- it needs time to do nothing but basically heal. 2) The "stages" help to limit calories early on and show success early on. Also, you only have a "window" of maximum sleeve success the first 6 months-1 year. They call it the honeymoon period and want you to maximize your weight loss during this period.

I did cheat a little by moving ahead a few days to each stage but nothing major.

Remember, that's just my nutritionist's philosophy -- your's may have different reasons.

Good Luck!

Dana