Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet chicken soup

Hey guys, I am currently on the Pre-op diet part of my journey. It is a very difficult task but I have to this. My surgery is on the 14th so I am wondering how this will go for the next 11 days. Today I made a hearty chicken Soup with celery, potatoes and carrots I put it in the blender and had a small bowl. Is this ok? Not sure if I'm only supposed to have broth. Please let me know if I overstepped my liquid diet boundary, God I hope not cause that soup was Deeeelish

Hey guys' date=' I am currently on the Pre-op diet part of my journey. It is a very difficult task but I have to this. My surgery is on the 14th so I am wondering how this will go for the next 11 days. Today I made a hearty chicken Soup with celery, potatoes and carrots I put it in the blender and had a small bowl. Is this ok? Not sure if I'm only supposed to have broth. Please let me know if I overstepped my liquid diet boundary, God I hope not cause that soup was Deeeelish[/quote']

Not sure if its ok...lol..my liquid diet will consist of 4 Protein shakes per day along with 64oz of Water...I WISH I could eat soup...lol..oh and I am on mine for 3 weeks... °_°

I am not sure about potatoes !

It says I can have cream of chicken, sf Jello, Protein Shakes and strained oatmeal... God my Soup is really yummy and the tiny bowl I had filled me

It says I can have cream of chicken' date=' sf Jello, Protein shakes and strained oatmeal... God my Soup is really yummy and the tiny bowl I had filled me[/quote']

Well I would think that if you could have full fat cream of chicken soup from a can. It should be ok.. Unless he has you on a low carb diet which I doubt because of the oatmeal. Best thing to do is call and ask :)

Contact your doc for the liquid diet guidelines...that is the best way to find out for sure! I'm on 3 shakes a day and broth, sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles, as well as Water, crystal light, any water additives that are under 5 calories....I can have unsweet tea with splenda...there are options, but every doc is different!

I was specifically told NOT to have potatoes! Here is the list the Dr. gave me that were absolute NOs. He is the head of the Bariatric Division of the hospital and runs the entire dept. at the hospital and has done many, many surgeries.

LIST OF NO-NOs FOR 3 WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY:

===========================================

Carbonated beverages

bread

Pasta

Rice

Peas

Corn

Potatoes

Rutabags

Sweet potatoes/Yams

mayo

Miracle Whip

2% or 1% milk

Regular cheese

Cakes

Cookies

Pies

Ice Cream

Sugar - any kind

Croutons

Bacon

Sausage

Pepperoni

Bologna

Salami

Hot dogs which are not all beef

NO FRIED FOODS

food THAT IS ACCEPTABLE 2 WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY:

=================================================

Protein drinks 2-3 daily with at least 30 grms of Protein

Crystal Light

sugar free Jello 1-3 small servings daily - try to limit to 1/2 cup

sugar free Popsicles 1-3 daily

Sugar Free pudding 1-2 small servings daily - try to limit to 1/2 cup

Light or Greek Yogurt 1 daily - containers are about 6 oz.

Fruits 2 daily - banana, apple, pear, peach, grapes, canned fruit in juice, not Syrup, or a handful

of berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries

Vegetables - 3-4 daily - except NO peas, corn or potatoes

salad with Lettuce, Tomato, cucs, radishes, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, carrots with no more

than ONE TABLESPOON of light dressing.

Meats: 4-6 oz skinless chicken, turkey, lean hamburger, fish, all beef hot dogs, pork chop, steak

Grilled, baked, broiled, not fried

cheese - 1 ounce of 2% reduced fat cheese or 1 cup of lower fat cottage cheese

Tea, coffee, no more than 16 oz daily with no sugar or cream but you can use Sweet 'n' Low,

Equal or Splenda

Fluids - 64 ounces daily - any combination of the fluids shown above

Hope this helps.

I was specifically told NOT to have potatoes! Here is the list the Dr. gave me that were absolute NOs. He is the head of the Bariatric Division of the hospital and runs the entire dept. at the hospital and has done many' date=' many surgeries.

Carbonated beverages

bread

Pasta

Rice

Peas

Corn

Potatoes

Rutabags

Sweet potatoes/Yams

mayo

Miracle Whip

2% or 1% milk

Regular cheese

Cakes

Cookies

Pies

Ice Cream

Sugar - any kind

Croutons

Bacon

Sausage

Pepperoni

Bologna

Salami

NO FRIED FOODS

Crystal Light

Fruits 2 daily - banana, apple, pear, peach, grapes, canned fruit in juice, not Syrup, or a handful

salad with Lettuce, Tomato, cucs, radishes, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, carrots with no more

Meats: 4-6 oz skinless chicken, turkey, lean hamburger, fish, all beef hot dogs, pork chop, steak

Tea, coffee, no more than 16 oz daily with no sugar or cream but you can use Sweet 'n' Low,

Equal or Splenda

Hope this helps.[/quote']

Hey there.. :) I am sure I would have skimmed over it too, but the NoNo list has potaoes listed as #7...lol good luck :)

You have to know if you are on clear or full liquids. I personally dont call this either one. I think it is a puree. If you are on Clear Liquids you have shakes, broth only, and sf popsicles. Full liquids add strained cream Soups, thinned yogurt, etc. Just because you run it through a blender and there are no solid pieces does not mean it is a liquid. I was on clear liquids...others are not put on liquids at all. Find out what your doctor wants you to have and go from there.

I was specifically told NOT to have potatoes! Here is the list the Dr. gave me that were absolute NOs. He is the head of the Bariatric Division of the hospital and runs the entire dept. at the hospital and has done many' date=' many surgeries.

Carbonated beverages

bread

Pasta

Rice

Peas

Corn

Potatoes

Rutabags

Sweet potatoes/Yams

mayo

Miracle Whip

2% or 1% milk

Regular cheese

Cakes

Cookies

Pies

Ice Cream

Sugar - any kind

Croutons

Bacon

Sausage

Pepperoni

Bologna

Salami

NO FRIED FOODS

Crystal Light

Equal or Splenda

Hope this helps.[/quote']

Everyone is different. I semi did a preop diet...I drank 2 per-made muscle milks and ate whatever I pleased in the evening....in moderation. Recently had my surgery and got 1 less incision because my liver was not fatty. Some doctors don't require a per-op diet. Get into the habit of listening to your body and stoping when you are starting to feel full.

Some people may not agree with my version of my per-op, but I am following a very strict post op diet and didn't want to be mourning food during that period.

I'm allowed 2-3 no carb Protein drinks plus one "lean and green meal" Lean and green means lean meat and greens. I have found a way to make Soup fit into this.. I make chicken broth and then add cut up chicken to it and then put a few cups of baby spinach in it and I eat it as my "lean and green" meal.

Potatoes and other root vegetables are NOT on any preop diet I've ever heard of.. I think because they are high in starch (sugar) You want almost zero sugar because that is what is going to promote the shrinking of the liver.

Contact your doc for the liquid diet guidelines...that is the best way to find out for sure! I'm on 3 shakes a day and broth' date=' sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles, as well as Water, crystal light, any Water additives that are under 5 calories....I can have unsweet tea with splenda...there are options, but every doc is different![/quote']

I'm on the same one as you. But mines is for one week. Can wait