Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you a smoker?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you a smoker?

• No
    • Yes
    • Quit smoking before surgery, but lit back up again
    • Was not a smoker pre-op but I am now

Thanks Mindy -- I was wondering if it would help get me through the first week or two. I used the patch once when they first came out, and you could only get them by prescription (think it was the late 80's or early 90's). Back then, it made me sick. I hope they've improved them since then. I will have my DH pick me up a box on the way home.

I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago. That was the beginning of my "healthy" journey. Now, to get a handle on my eating, hence the "banding". I want to live a long time! I just knew I had to quit smoking - smoking and being morbidly obese takes years off of your life!

Good luck...you can only quit when you, and you alone, are ready. I didn't quit for anyone (not even my child!), I did it for me.

Now, I don't even think about cigarettes, and I was a chain smoker!

Kat.

I used zyban - totally took the craving away - Ismoked when I saw the ashtray, so I got rid of it...

OHH that is an EXCELLENT point i dont know if it was mentioned or not .

I threw away EVERYTHING cigerette related. Ashtrays, lighters, butts, old emtpy packs. EVERYTHING gone. My friend told me ( The Respritory therapist) that its a good way to succeed . Also another tip she gave me was to allow NO ONE to smoke around or in your home. My dad smokes and he is not allowed to smoke at my house ( I smoked outside ) i let him now but i dont go outside and ALL Cig butts MUST BE gone .

I am on wellbutrin ( the generic of zyban) for my Migraines it it TOTALLY helped . It helps take away the food cravings for 1. 2 it helps with the anxiety ALOT .

Mindy

I am about 2 1/2 months out from quitting. I tried several times, before surgery, after surgery, this time I knew it was time. I have been trying to keep my hands busy, crocheting and lots of time on the computer. I can't say its;s been easy buy it isn't my only thought right now, the 1st 2 weeks it was all I could think about.

I don't understand how anyone could consider quitting smoking before or soon after surgery. With all the life-style changes associated with the surgery how can you survive taking away the ciggies as well.

I had my Lap Band done on 26th September 2006 and am planning on quitting smoking on the 26th September 2007 - sort of poetic.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to quit - obviously it is healthier - hope you all succeed.

Melbourne Australia

HIGHEST - 341 lbs (155 kgs)

PRE-BAND - 312.4 lbs (142 kgs)

NOW - 275 lbs (125 kgs)

Hi Cassandra,

Good luck with the surgery - it is easier to follow the Fluid diet etc after the surgery than surviving the liquid diet beforehand. Mine was Optifast - awful!

Enjoy the smoking! Good luck when you decide to quit!

Amanda

My doc told me a long time ago to not try to loose wt and quit smoking at the same time , he said you WILL Fail at one. That is why I quit MONTHS in advance. I think it would be too hard. BUT IF anything I think its a goo idea to quit a few days before surgery so your blood is not so thin and its not as hard to heal

HTH

Mindy

I'm five days out (smoke free), ane feeling great! I finally got the patch (14mg), and can honestly say that I've had no cravings! My decision to stop was alreay made, just the "when" was decided once the surgeon told me he wouldn't operate without me being smoke free for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery. Smoking slows down the healing process, so that's why he won't operate. I have beaten this once before and I WILL beat this again. I'm the kind of person who has to make HUGE changes at once. Baby steps don't work for me. I'm starting Yoga classes next week, finishing up all my paperwork with the Dr for them to submit to the insurance company. I want to have the surgery the 1st or 2nd week of December. For me, THE WHOLE ENCHILADA works.

I had to quite 2 months before surgery or my surgeon wouldn't do it. Then, unfortunately, I picked it back up. I really need to quit for good, hopefully I'll get there.

Who is your surgeon because mine Dr. Clement in Alabama stated the same thing. He will not do unless I have quit smoking for two months

I quit smoking 11 years ago. I used the gum and it helped a lot. What really inspired me was watching someone I loved die from lung cancer. It took 18 months and was just horrible. She left a husband and 5 children.

If you can't quit for yourself, quit for the people you love. Nothing will make you prouder than getting that monkey off your back.....I promise.

I suspect the smoking Nazis are on this website. I smoke a couple of packs a day and don't intend to quit. I like smoking. I don't care if I annoy people. They annoy me. I may quit when I get some sort of horrible disease, but I will continue to smoke at the moment just to irritate the smoking Nazis. Isn't it grand to be superior to others?

I smoke a pack a day. I don't want to. I experience the same self-loathing over smoking, that I do over being fat. I hate myself for making such an unhealthy choice.

I tell myself that it's "okay" because I don't smoke in the house or around other people, and certainly never inside a restaurant or any public place. In fact, if I find I HAVE to have a cigarette while I'm out shopping, I walk far, far away from the entrance to the building so that other patrons don't have to breathe in my vile cigarette smoke.

Some may perceive me a hypocrit. I don't care. I want to quit and I did quit for over three years many years ago, and the last attempt at quitting last year had me smoke-free for four weeks. I gained thirty pounds in that month, so I rationalized starting smoking again because of the weight gain.

Funny thing is, I haven't lost those thirty added pounds. My surgeon told me that I have to be smoke-free for two weeks prior to surgery. I already decided to have my last cigarette 11-22-06. I hope I can quit for good this time.

I don't judge others for what they do -- or don't do -- with their lives. Sometimes I see the "debunkify the myth" commercials where they talk about "not everyone smokes", and the recent local elections here have banned smoking in ALL public places -- and while I think that's a very good thing, sometimes I think that this country is in a "Smoker's Bashing" frenzy.

If you smoke, you're looked upon as a lower-class individual.

Much the same way I'm treated as being an obese person. Because I'm fat, I'm regarded as "not as good" by the thin, "normal" population.

I think both are wrong to do. Any kind of (fill in the blank) bashing is wrong. As long as my bad habits aren't affecting other people, I don't think anyone has a say in what I choose to do to my body. When and if I decide to quit should be MY decision, and I shouldn't be bullied into that decision. Same thing for weight-loss. It's MY decision.

That's just my two cents....

I went to the mall today for the first time for a "LONG " Shopping trip really since i quit smoking in September. Normally I would have been huffing and puffing and sweating my butt off trying to keep up with my friend.

Along with having to sit down every so many mintues because I couldnt breathe. I felt GREAT today . We were at the mall and before tha Kohls for a total of 5 hours and i felt fine. Sure I was tired and Im tired now but no huffing and puffing like normal. I could keep up with her, She even noticed it.

So that felt good. All I could think about while i was there though was " MAN I cant wait until can shop at the same stores. She went into Victorias Secret and they had this bra that looked SO COMFY , it was wireless, I asked how large they went up to . (luckily the sales woman was a plus size girl) she said " 38DD they think everyone is a 24C in this place LOL " So i cant wait until I can go in there and shop. Anyway , Quit when your ready, it wont work unless your ready to do it. When you do I PROMISE you you will feel better .

Mindy

I am very happy that today is my one week anniversary! No cheating, not once! I love the Patches. To smoke or not to smoke is a personal choice. But with all choices, there are consequences. I am the only smoker in my family, and I never smoked in the house, nor would I sit in the "smoking" section of the restaurants. It was MY bad habit, and didn't want others to have to deal with it. Either way, it's no longer an issue. I want this surgery, and in order to have it, I have to be smoke free for two weeks. Some have said "Why quit, they won't know", but I will. I am not about to jeopardize this opportunity.