Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band After Fundoplication????

Does anyone know if a Surgeon (I am in Ga.) can do a Lap Band after I have had a Nissen Fundoplication three years ago? The only one I have found who says they can is not in my Network, BCBS POS. From other posts on other forums I have seen that it can be done but I am striking out. Please help..........

-Scott

Fundoplication is a surgical procedure to correct extremely severe GERD or Reflux.***

Wow, I don't know.

Since most people find that the LapBand itself is a real solution for GERD, I don't personally know of anyone who got banded after a fundoplication procedure.

I have no idea if having had the stomach already 'wrapped' to prevent reflux would then make putting a LapBand on - more difficult.

I'd suggest you talk to a bunch of LapBand surgeons and get a clear concise idea of what can or can't be done.

Maybe you could call Inamed (the LapBand manufacturer) for more information too.

Good Luck.

*** For those who were wondering/unsure about Fundoplication:

WebMD has this definition:
"
During fundoplication surgery, the upper curve of the stomach (the fundus) is wrapped around the esophagus and sewn into place so that the lower portion of the esophagus passes through a small tunnel of stomach muscle. This surgery strengthens the valve between the esophagus and stomach (
, or LES), which stops acid from backing up into the esophagus as easily. This allows the esophagus to heal.

My husband had a fundoplication in 1980 and revision surgery 3 years ago. He has to watch his portions, chew food really well and avoid anything 'gummy,' like cheesy mashed potatoes or soft bread. Sound familiar?

Thanks!!! I am thinking like you said since the Lap band helps GERD maybe they could basically undo it and then do the lap band. I guess I will just keep calling around. If anyone else has more info please let me know...Thanks

-Scott

Hi, I am also a person who has had nissan fundoplication surgery, Mine was done about 5 years ago. i live in the Kansas City area, and I have not been able to find anyone who will do it either. I can't seem to get by the nurses to find out WHY they won't do it. My surgery was very successful, but I am now 53 and can't keep the extra 100 pounds off. i would be interested in hearing from anyone tht knows a doctor tht will do lap band in the midwest. angie

it is more dfficult simply because they are working on the same area of the stomach and there will be scarring and adhesions to varying degrees- I have heard of t being done but have also heard many surgeons say they will not. I thnk the suggestion of contacting inamed is really good-they should be able to point you in the right direction

So while searching for a Dr. who could do this I found one on my plan who was willing to at least meet with me. He read the surgical noteds fom the fundop and his opinion was that he could take it down and do the band, but the two major concerns were 1) slippage scar tissue etc...that happens. But more importantly I would be back were I was as far as the reflux goes. Before I had the fundop I had a poitive test for Barrott's asophogus. I have to be biopsied once a year to check the progression of these pre cancerous cells. If the Acid is damaging my asophagous again, there is little doubt I would have to have that whole section removed due to Cancer. With all of this in mind I decided to go with the RNY becasue it would cure the acid problem as well, because the portion of my stomache that produces the acid will be cordoned off. I want to change the way I live and eat forever. So this is the right decision for me. I have full confidence in my surgeon and I know this is the best thing. Another complication that came along was my nissen was not working anymore. I have had horrible reflux again, as my Dr. said this would be the next step anyway if fixing the nissen didn't work. So I am scheduled for The RNY on Tuesday 02/13/07 just a few days. Wish me luck, say a prayer and if my experiences can be of help to anyone facing these same things just let me know.

-Scott

I would be at least a little concerned, because lap band is not a cure all for GERD! I neverhad any type of reflux until after banding. I was worried I was too tight...in the end it seems I am my Mother's child, she too has it, and is not banded. There is a thread out there with a poll about reflux and banding, and I would say the numbers were equally high for those developing reflux after being banded as those it helped.

I would do LOTS and LOTS of research!

Good Luck

Kat

Hi -I actually had fundoplication surgery at the same time as I had my lap band replaced. They had to repair a very large Hiatal hernia first. I am still on the mushie stage so do not know how solids will be. But I feel a world of difference. Very glad I had it done! I know this post was considerably long ago but thought I would post just in case someone else happens to search for this topic.

I am in the Kansas City area and my doctor was one of the few doctors who could do this surgery.

Hello everyone.

I had a nissen fundoplication back in 1999. It slipped down.

I am now considering lapband and found a doctor that will go in and do my nissen fundoplication and lapband at the same time. The only problem he said because he will not know about scarr tissue he may need to cut me open instead of doing it laparoscopic. I'm nervous about the lapband and now knowing I might have to get cut open too. Wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this procedure?

Hi I had fundoplication surgery done last year at the same time as my lap band. I do not know what you mean by it slipped down? What are the symptoms and how did you know it slipped? You mention scar tissue is this scar tissue from the fundoplication surgery or scar tissue from digestive damage? I had mine done Laproscopic.

That's a really complicated surgery due to massive amounts of scarring and adhesions. One of the concerns is complications from so much dissection around the pancreas. You'll likely have a drain for a bit and the problem with drains is that while they permit body fluids such as lymphatic drainage to leave the body, it permits bacteria to walk right in if the drain is there for an extended period of time.

With that said, I don't blame you. I'd be taking those risks too if I was going to a mega good surgeon with a gazillion years of experience and if his background includes a few bands with FD as well.