Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded over a year ago, no luck so far!

:help: Hi, my name is Sue and I'm new on this forum and I have a decision to make and need some help. I was banded in September 2005, developed a leak in my port and had to have it replaced in February 2006. I've been through hell with them trying to fill it because of scar tissue but my doctor Dr. MeGuid in St. Clair Shores, MI finally got it to work but told me if I needed any more fills he may have to do them in the hospital under a special type of xray. Well that was a few months ago and I haven't been back to him because of all the aggravation it is. I haven't lost any weight since my surgery and the worst part is all the food that I'm not supposed to eat a lot of goes down great (cake, pies, Cookies, candy, you get the picture) but at times even Water has a hard time going down and forget any kind of meat except ground beef or turkey which means I'm not getting enough Protein in my diet except for the shakes I make myself drink, which is getting very old and if I turn to food it's usually something I shouldn't have. I'm trying to make the decision whether or not to just have it opened and forget it or go back to him and do the hospital thing to get it working right, I've been poked and prodded so many times it's getting ridiculous but I think it may be a little dangerous if I happen to get sick and need to throw up or if I'm away from the state and something gets stuck and I can't release it. I've picked up the phone so many times to call and go in to see him but I either hang up or cancel the appointment. There are times that even if I drink water or coffee it can just spew out of my mouth and it's very embarrassing in public. Any suggestions. I have also put this on the Introductions section. Sue

Sue I understand what you are going through. I have bad scar tissue and getting fills are extremly painful. I also had bad scar tissue. I am apparently all filled up with 1.0 Fluid and can't get any more. I am like you...the candy, cakes, chips all go down with no problem. meat can be hard, potatoes are a problem as well as some vegtables. I have lost 40 pounds but it has been 3 years. I am ready to take it out. I will say I have not gained weight. I get my Protein in everyday and that is the trick I think. I am researching the bypass right now.

Hi, the thoughts of the bypass scares me, I'm going to be 61 and also have heart disease and have had so many surgeries I just don't want anymore. I did just make a appointment to talk to my doctor to see whats going on. Are you taking in Protein Shakes or boost, slimfast or anything like that. I've tried them all and a hour later I'm hungry again. Even eggs have a hard time going down, it all depends on the day, I dread the meal times. Thanks for your reply. Sue

Hi Jack, I did make a appointment with my doctor for Monday to see what he thinks. I guess thats the first step. Thanks, Sue

I have had better success with the band. I won't call it "luck" because luck had nothing to do with it. I have worked at it.

I also am a "hard stick", as far as fills. Even under fluoro, a Nurse Practitioner once stuck me 8 times before I raised up and told her to stop - go get the doctor.

If I were you, I would go back for a fill and give the band my best shot. It doesn't work without good restriction. BUT...good restriction is NEVER going to take the place of making good food choices. chips and candy and ice cream will always go down very, very easily. If you can't stay away from that stuff, it's going to be an uphill battle.

I researched all the options before I chose the band. There are trade-offs with all of them. The bypass works well for most people for about 18 months, then the pouch stretches and you can eat more, the dumping stops and you can eat sugar again, etc.

Good luck with whatever decision you reach. I think success with the band depends on a combination of things: a good surgeon, great after-care, good restriction, some exercise, and controlled consumption of "slider" foods.

Sue: Hi my name is Shirley, I too am from S.C.S.. I went to Henry Fords. They really got the handle on all these surgeries. If you are haveing second thoughts, or problems I would call the Bariatric Surgery center in

Detroit and get a second opinion. Especially if you are not sattisfied.

I had hernia repair, scar tissue removal, Lymph Nodes removed, "whew"

then the lap band on 10/31/06. All at one time! First 24 hrs were hard, but it's getting much better now. Surgeon was Jeffrey Genaw. Read about him on line if

you want. All I can say is there whole team was great to me. Shirley...

Sue sorry you are having so much trouble. All of my fills and unfills have been done under fluro with a barium swallow. Its no big deal and a very easy process. They can also put a little camera on the machine and locate your port, preventing multiple stickings.

Everyone is different, but there are some common traits that come up again and again. One is restriction at different times of the day, or from ne day to the next. Lots of theories why, but recognizing that you may be one that has this, you can make adjustments in your eating.

Taking stock of the food in your home and getting rid of all those things that you should not eat is a first step. We all know that there are "easy" foods that will allow us to eat more than we should. The trick is to limit those foods so they don't interfere with our weight loss.

Bypass to me is far more dangerous and permanent. However, that is your decision. Make sure that you give the band a chance to work and only have it reversed if you truly have given it a chance. Hard Proteins and solid foods we should be able to eat. However, any program will not work if we fill our bodies with ice cream, cakes, pies, Cookies, chips, etc.

Good luck to you.

If it were me I would definitely go under flouroscope for a fill. The band works but right now your band isn't working because you have no fill. You should keep the faith and give it a chance. A fill is super easy and the stuff you have to drink is like a chalky milkshake. Not too bad. I had to do that because my doctor caught me cheating early on and he wanted to make sure I didn't slip the band. Good luck. Keep the band faith.

I think you could be stuck in the inflamation cycle. I would be sure to drink the Water, and start with liquids for about 24 hrs, then progress to liquid mushies, warm mushies, not cold ones for about another day or two. Then begin with your protien meats taking small bites, baby spoon size, and chew like crazy. and then swallow.

After each fill, I have had to do this because Im tempted to test the limit then Im stuck in that awfull cyclel where I have too much restriction all day then at night I open for some bad food, Cookies, chips etc.

You have to treat your band the way it wants to be treated, and your stomach will behave after it is trained.

Please dont get discouraged, and go back in for surgery for a bypass untill you have truly exhausted your options with the band.

I invested in a pressure cooker from qvc and It saved me for sure, the meat comes out moist and tender and band friendly, and the veggies are also soft.

I love to start my day with coffee, and yep, left over meat with broth, warm and full of protien. The broth has lots of vitamines from the foods you cook in it from the pressure cooker too!

I hope you have more sucess, this is such a kind way to loose weight, slow enough for your body to compress properly and fast enough to stay motivated when your adjustment is proper.

Keep us posted ok? Best wishes!

I understand the slow weight loss. First - get the fill. Then, for one month do a no sugar, no milk, high Protein, low carb diet. Just see what happens.

The slim fast high Protein LOW CARB are good shakes and easy. Get some high protein low carb bars and have a few bites when you are hungry. Cut some veggies - cucumbers, avacados, brocolli and get a little nummy dipping sauce to snack on when you are hungry.

If you have to have chocolate - get some sugar free Chocolate, or sugar free candies to snack on. Don't overeat them - you'll regret it (they have a laxative effect if taken in too high a quantity). I call it a 'self limiting snack'.

If you are older and have heart disease give this your best shot .

I don't always deny myself everything, I eat the things I like, but I've found the things that I like have changed. I want vegetables, fruit, and good food. I don't crave the sweets and chips that I did before. I think perhaps it's the aversion therapy (constant sliming when I had a few chips). I cannot tell you how important it is to have restriction.