Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In before the newbies take it over

I just wanted to get in a thread on the veterans forum before it gets inundated with threads by new people. Nothing against them, I haven't forgotten where I came from. Just saying...we need our own clubhouse once in a while. It's like a family....we all need each other, but sometimes we need some space too.

Best of luck to all sleeve vets and rookies alike.

That was too subtle :P

Amen to that BTB.....

I am trying to get myself back to losing. I didn't gain weight over the holidays, but I didn't lose any either, and I grazed, a little of this, a little of that, and so on and so on.

Got rid of snacky items that collected at my house over the holidays. I have 3 young adult children and 1 grandson, and they were all at my house for nearly two weeks, plus my girlfriend who came in from out of town for the holidays. I got a box of Sees candy from a co-worker. The kitchen was always alive with participation. Not the best recipe for a sleever like me.

Getting back on track this week. The closer I am to goal, the harder it is to lose...but I know I have to keep up my momentum.

Scold me if you think I need it. I promise not to call you both meanies. :o

As mentioned in the other thread, I will do my best to monitor this forum closely. If you see new topics started here that relate more to those who are just starting out, let me know and I will be happy to move it to the appropriate forum.

So when can we officially consider our selves sleeve veterans? I am just about 10 months out. Anyhow about getting back on track, I'm with you there. I did notice when I add just the tiniest bit of carbs to Breakfast my day is downhill from there. I usually have 2 boiled egg whites and 2 small turkey sausage. Yes it's boring but it works and it keeps me on track.

My downfall is exercise. I always use the excuse that I work full time and go to school. Never mind this semester I'm full time as far as school to. So I'm usually running around like a mad woman. However this semester I added an exercise class and I have to go 4 days a week and I will be graded on this class, so I hope this will help my transition back into the physical fitness routine.

Think she said six months out and 100 posts makes us a veteran.

At 10 months, I do feel like one! Still have to deal with keeping the weight off long-term, but that becomes the primary issue the very instant one reaches goal.

chitown....I need to get exercising too, push myself harder. I walk a few miles each day but it is not strenuous enough, my body has gotten used to it. I hate the atmosphere of most of the local gyms near where I live which is a college town, mostly jocks - young guys building muscle. I do plan to get a membership at the Y again, it seems to have a larger range of ages and a huge pool. Swimming is what sounds appealing to me.

My Breakfast is usually 1/2 c. low-fat cottage cheese with a little fruit. I noticed I have veered away from Protein shakes. I get most of my Protein from real food now and an occasional Protein Bar. Do you still drink Protein Shakes?

I'm 9 months out - so I guess I'm a veteran too. Works for me. I am so far really happy I had the surgery and feeling lighter on my feet, shopping for cute clothes and feeling healthie than I have in decades.

I am 13 months out. I feel like a vet! LOL

I have lost 10 POUNDS since Thanksgiving. That is wonderful for me, considering how far out I am and getting close to goal. My frustration is I haven't lost an ounce in weeks. Now I am sounding like a newbie...lol

I eat low carb, I follow the rules and I work out regularly. Well, except for the last week due to a minor health setback....

Anyway, life is good. So thankful for my sleeve!!!

I've always been a lap swimmer, when I did exercise. ;-) My sis came for a month long stay over the holidays and dragged me to a Water aerobics class. I kinda went kickin' and screaming. I have to admit, she was right. I love it! I am sick this week and can't go, and I can't believe that I am going to admit this either, but I miss it! I really do! If you'd told me that I would have felt like this a few months ago I would have laughed and laughed and laughed... ;-)

So, yes! Go join your Y and start swimming. Good luck!

I love my sleeve. I really do. I had a bad 48 hours right after surgery w nasty dry heaves, but that was it. I followed the rules to a 'T' and feel great. I've lost 55 pounds pre/post op. 7 weeks ago my body stopped losing. I've been stuck on 198. Stuck hard.

But ya know what? I can remember in the past, many times i've lost 30,40,50 pounds and I got stuck. And I'd get frustrated. And then the weight would creep back up. And then i'd give up. So while this stall feels very familiar to me, I am not panicking or getting frustrated this time. I know that when my body is ready, it'll start dropping again. That's why I so love my sleeve! Those 55 pounds I lost are gone forever this time, and that feels so rewarding. So liberating.

I am of the same mindset as Cheri. I refuse to give myself a time limit on losing weight. There is no clock ticking and after 6 months, 12 months, even 18 months, my sleeve is going to expire. That's nonsense. I'm 51 years old and my body has been through so many yo-yo diets that it needs confirmation that I'm not going to do that to it again. If it wants to stall until it can be convinced that my days of binging and splurging and shoving gobs of Pasta down it's throat are over, then I need to be gracious and let it take these breaks. Are stalls fun? Heck no! But, I can do this. There are too many success stories on here for me to even consider that I might fail.

:-)

Judy

@ Katie, I do not drink any Protein. I only eat solid Proteins, I've done this pretty consistently since 2nd month post op. for a while I was constantly fatigued, but within the last few months my energy level is thru the roof. My weight loss is about a pound a week if I'm lucky. I was at 1200 calories, but i stick to my low carb I can easily get it 800 calories and meet my Protein. I've noticed that I was snacking a lot, so I've been able to eliminate the snacking at work, I just gotta get a handle on the evening snacking.

I've gone to far to go soft on myself now. It's just a matter of kicking up my activity. It's all about establishing healthy habits, and sticking to them. I like to tackle one thin at a time, so my focus for the next 2 weeks its all about kicking up my physical activity.

Chitown...I like how you think!!

I've always been a lap swimmer' date=' when I did exercise. ;-) My sis came for a month long stay over the holidays and dragged me to a Water aerobics class. I kinda went kickin' and screaming. I have to admit, she was right. I love it! I am sick this week and can't go, and I can't believe that I am going to admit this either, but I miss it! I really do! If you'd told me that I would have felt like this a few months ago I would have laughed and laughed and laughed... ;-)

So, yes! Go join your Y and start swimming. Good luck![/quote']

Doxie...our Y also offers the Water aerobics classes, I will definately check those out!! I know I love the water and swimming works many muscle groups so in addition to my walking I hope to tone and build muscle.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement!!

I am 13 months out. I feel like a vet! LOL

I have lost 10 POUNDS since Thanksgiving. That is wonderful for me, considering how far out I am and getting close to goal. My frustration is I haven't lost an ounce in weeks. Now I am sounding like a newbie...lol

I eat low carb, I follow the rules and I work out regularly. Well, except for the last week due to a minor health setback....

Anyway, life is good. So thankful for my sleeve!!!

You're doing fantastic! 10 pounds since Thanksgiving....way to go !!!

There sure are alot of low carb people around here. I was eating low carb for a while, but my carbs are up there now. Yesterday I took in 100 carbs...but since most of those are low glycemic carbs, I don't think they had any adverse affects. I've been eating alot of salads and drinking green shakes to get in more healthy nutrients. It pushes my carbs up but I feel so much better.