Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Local Y, or Curves?

Thank you everyone for all the input!! I greatly appreciate it. I am a beginner, have never worked out before, that why I was thinking Curves...but thought the Y, because then maybe, just maybe, my husband would go and support me, if we had a family memebership to the Y. But...I like the "ladies only" Curves idea also...sooooooooo, that is why I posed the question. I will check out both, and because of my hubby, price will matter...sooo, I will definitely get back with ya'll.

Thank you again!

we have a Y membership, there is no contract, it is cheaper, ours has childcare if needed. free classes also. Including Water aerobics

The only thing that I did not like about Curves is that you exercise in a circle, facing people that you don't know. It just seemed weird to me.

My vote would be for the Y. Maybe the hubs would like to join or maybe will eventually. I would try to do something where everyone would benefit. Working out can be a lot of fun when doing it together. More variety would be another reason to go with the y.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Curves was hard on my knees but I liked being with the women. I love the Water aerobics classes at our Y and easier on the joints. Starting to use other equipment now. It helps to have someone to go with but you will meet other people.. Met with a personal trainer there, too.

Start at curves, join the y or other gym when you're ready to kick it up a notch!!

I chose Curves... Have joined, to get in on the membership special... Haven't worked out yet...gawd it is so difficult mentally to get myself in there. I don't know why?.. Scratch that, I do, it is sooo very depressing! They are fixin' to deduct monthly payments and my husband is going to "expect" me to go. There's a difference between expect and support.., me... this is so hard, my weight hasn't moved in ages...soooo down right now. But I did get out and join... step one is accomplished!

Well I forced myself to get back in to Curves, and learn the circuit. I could only complete 1 round...

I would like to share some info about Curves. I am a guy but my wife and I own a Curves franchise.

First, let me clarify that this isn't a sales pitch and working out is the most important thing no matter where you go. I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions.

It is true Curves is designed for women. We have women of all shapes, ages and sized use our equipment. Proper form is key to not hurting yourself. The resistance on the machines is created with hydraulic cylinders. That means there is no adjusting weight plates which there wouldn't be time for since you rotate stations every 30 seconds. Also, the hydraulic cylinders provide more resistance the harder you work them and they provide resistance in both directions. For example, when you work your biceps in one direction, you will work your triceps in the other direction. The faster and harder you push yourselves, the more calories you will burn and the more lean muscle you will gain. Consequently, the faster your metabolism will be.

It is true you work out in a circle and you face each other. And to look at it like you have to stare at strangers is not the idea. You will make friends and you will have some great conversations with the other ladies working out with you. You will find working out with other ladies who you have things in common with, makes it more fun. It's your time. Time away from husbands, kids, house work, jobs... You name it.

And just FYI, Curves is now so much more then a fitness center. It is now a complete weightloss center with Curves Complete. I won't go into details because I promised this isn't a sales pitch. But if you want to know more, visit a Curves near you or curves.com (still not a sales pitch).

As for me, I don't go into our club during business hours unless something breaks. We keep it women's only out of respect for our members. I handle accounting and maintenance. My wife is there everyday at 530am. And I'm on this forum because I was sleeved one week ago on 2/27.

Here's to working out no matter where you choose to do it. Stay strong. Stay healthy.

Hi!! I started this post, and as you can see I joined Curves! And I love it! It took me about 3 visits before I made the circuit 2 x around, but am now going 4 days a week. I love that I can just get up, put my hair in a pony tail, wash my face, dress, and get there and back in under an hour! I love that there is no intimidation factor, which the larger fitness places, I would never feel comfortable in. I haven't had my key card programmed to the machines yet, but will ask today. I just picked up a pedometer and food scale from my Curves also!! And I love that Curves Circuit is on MyFitnessPal!! The price is right, I just love it!

This is coming from someone, who is quite dissappointed in my weight loss, and has all asthma that you can have, including exercise induced, but with a puff of Advair daily...exercise is not an issue!! And was a non-exerciser till last month!

Thank you for the info...oh...gotta go....to Curves now!! lol

Fyi... I just got my Curves Smart card programmed today!!

Curves dies FREE 3-5 days!!! Try it I used to go I never felt I secure there!

Curves dies FREE 3-5 days!!! Try it I used to go I never felt I secure there!

Never felt insecure there** :)

I tried it, I like it!