Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone found a change in their urine color? Mine has been dark orange since the surgery, even while in the hospital on IV. At first, I shrugged it off as just 'body's in shock,' etc., but I'm on Day 7 post-op now, and it's still dark.

Of course, the obvious cause is dehydration. I've been drinking like a fiend...got in 60+ oz yesterday. Got 50+ oz the last three days. I don't "feel" dehydrated. I mentioned the color to both the surgeon and his nurse yesterday at my one-week post-op visit, as well as a nurse who called to do a follow-up, and everyone is saying the same thing. Drink, drink, drink.

No pain, no other real symptoms, per se, but weird.

Anyone else experiencing this, or ideas?

Thanks!

Hmm, the only thing I can think of is maybe a Vitamin your taking? My urine was a florecent yellow color, but I only noticed it after I took my b complex vitamin, the rest of the time it was almost clear or very light yellow. If my urine gets concentrated that is a cause for concern. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'm sure someone knows :)

Well as you already know that's one of the main signs of dehydration. You should be getting 64 ounces of Water a day or more. I would definitely bring thing up to your dr if it continues even after getting more water in. It could be a kidney related issue and that's nothing to fool around about. But I still think you may be a bit dehydrated especially since your only 1 week post op. Try to get in more fluids and see how you do.

Sounds like you need to be drinking more Water.< /p>

They need to run a urinalysis to check for blood in your urine.

Has anyone found a change in their urine color? Mine has been dark orange since the surgery' date=' even while in the hospital on IV. At first, I shrugged it off as just 'body's in shock,' etc., but I'm on Day 7 post-op now, and it's still dark.

Of course, the obvious cause is dehydration. I've been drinking like a fiend...got in 60+ oz yesterday. Got 50+ oz the last three days. I don't "feel" dehydrated. I mentioned the color to both the surgeon and his nurse yesterday at my one-week post-op visit, as well as a nurse who called to do a follow-up, and everyone is saying the same thing. Drink, drink, drink.

No pain, no other real symptoms, per se, but weird.

Anyone else experiencing this, or ideas?

Thanks![/quote']

Im 4 mths out an mine is still dark even when i wipe it colours the paper.but im not dehydrated ?

I'd go see my primary and ask for a urine test to determine if I had an infection of some kind. I often go to my PCP for tests etc. Please keep us posted.....

Are you taking any Vitamins or other medications right now? If so look up the medicines online and read up if they change urine color. I have had some turn my urine odd colors. if not, get a urinalysis done to rule out any infection or other causes. 60 oz of Water seems like it would be plenty of water to not have very dark urine but try drinking more for a few days and see if that helps.

The B Vitamins turn urine an orange/or even greenish/neon yellow color. I saw this on Dr. Oz. - I would also have a urinalysis done to rule out anything else.

Thanks all. I am over 70 oz of water/fluids for today. Was 64+ yesterday. Let's see what we're dealing with tomorrow. I only go a few times a day, so I'm wondering if that is part of it too.

As for vits, I'm on the same iron/calcium/B12/Flintstone regimen that I suspect a lot of us are on. And this was going on in the hospital too, well before I even was taking those yet.

Will see what tomorrow beings, and then maybe go see a doctor.

The color's more or less OK now. But when I hold off going for a while, I do notice that it still seems darkish. I wonder if I just need to go more often.

I just had surgery 1/15 and mine has been dark off and on. In the hospital I had a little container that caught my urine and the nurse would check it and flush it. She never remarked about the color so I'm thinking its "normal" for now especially if you re drinking all your Water and it sounds like you are.

Mine is dark yellow like I m dehydrated, but I drink over 64 ounces every day.

Are you taking any other medications? Some antibiotics can cause orange urine and there's probably other meds, too. You can call the surgery center to ask; that's what they're there for!