Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm glad I don't live in Texas anymore

I wanted to find out what happened to CHIP (children's insurance program) in Texas, so I researched a little...one thing that could explain the lower numbers is that fewer children qualify, because there is less need. In other words, more parents are employed and have benefits with their jobs, or make above the required amount to qualify.

That would be a good thing....right?

Of course, I am probably wrong about this.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to attack you. It just burns me when people start complaining about being personally attacked when the only the only thing that is being attacked is their post. The post is not you. You posted something that was factually incorrect and people corrected you. I don't see why you should take offense at that. If you read the original thread about Perry, there are bandsters that teach in Texas, and they have posted about the "raise." People were responding in kind to your post, where you said that people were "broadcasting outright lies." If you start off a conversation with something that can be construed as being offensive, expect to be treated in an unfriendly manner. That said, I am going to abandon this issue, because nothing will come of it except more argueing.

Believe me I would never imply that teachers are stupid, getting an easy degree, etc. I am one of the few that think educators should make more money then even they dream. This to me is one of the most important jobs in our society. Why am I the only one? Teachers making $40,000 are at the top of their game. They should be making $100,000 + in my opinion.

Why is it that so many of our educators leave their field? Because they have families they have to support as well. No one gives them hazzard pay either for what they have to endure each day. That should be worth another $25,000/yr.

I want politicians that put education first. Education is the ONLY thing that will save us. This is my opinion.

I think it's been established who are the smartest amongst us and who have all the 'facts' and the time and obsession to dig them up. I, for one, submit.

When everyone else submits, then it will just be those who have all the facts to volley them between themselves.

It's really no fun anymore when those who know it all dominate the conversations. Banding, politics, religion, whatever... If it's meant for 'everyone' then try letting everyone have their say without blatantly disputing them and reprimanding them for being such dummies and even attempting to share their views.

I've seen it before. It comes and goes. Move em in, move em out. I'm just still dumb, unenlightened ole me..:D Carry on..

Viva Texas! God Bless America!

Leatha...

Everyone gets an equal opportunity to "have their say" on here. As for disputing facts, I think that's the whole purpose of a debate, isn't it?

I said people should not post inaccurate info and then get angry at those of us who cite factual sources that make them look foolish. If you don't have the time (or inclination) to look up sources, then qualify your post as an opinion. How unreasonable is that?

I like to think of LBT as a family, or at least a place where family gathers. It's inevitable that we will have personality issues, disagreements, drama, and angst all over the place. All families do. But for the most part, we all make an effort to get along. No name-calling. No ugly shouting matches. No sleeping with each other's boyfriends/husbands. When I'm angry, I say so. When I'm wrong, I apologize. I love the give and take of our familial conversations - rants and raves included. I'm sorry you don't find them all that enjoyable. May I suggest that you place those people you feel "dominate the conversation" on "Ignore"? Maybe that would make the whole thing more fun for you.

QUOTE]Believe me I would never imply that teachers are stupid, getting an easy degree, etc. I am one of the few that think educators should make more money then even they dream. This to me is one of the most important jobs in our society. Why am I the only one? Teachers making $40,000 are at the top of their game. They should be making $100,000 + in my opinion.

Why is it that so many of our educators leave their field? Because they have families they have to support as well. No one gives them hazzard pay either for what they have to endure each day. That should be worth another $25,000/yr.

I want politicians that put education first. Education is the ONLY thing that will save us. This is my opinion.

Barbara,

I agree with this post. Teachers should be paid more. But I also don't think that is what Carlene is saying.

QUOTE]Barbara,

I agree with this post. Teachers should be paid more. But I also don't think that is what Carlene is saying.

Heavens NO!!!! I come from a whole family of teachers!!! They would flog me within an inch of my life!!!

I have NEVER said that teachers were overpaid, or that teaching was easy, or that the credentials were easily obtained.

Anyone who thinks that was me needs to go back and re-read the thread.

No, it was not Carlene who made any comments whatsoever about teacher's pay...however, it was Carlene who stated, admittedly in another thread, that Republicans were filthy rich, and were looking out only for the rich. Thus, my pointed comment that I am a teacher AND a Republican. It is ridiculous to believe that the Republican party is full of filthy rich people; and ridiculous to believe that the Democrat party is for the downtrodden and the underclass. Neither are correct. Both are sweeping generalizations and very divisive in their nature.

I betcha a nickel there are plenty of teachers, truck drivers and soldiers who are Republicans; I betcha another nickel there are plenty of millionaires, movie stars, and corporate CEOs who are Democrats.

Life would be simpler if we could divide political parties according to income, but that just isn't IT.

however, it was Carlene who stated, admittedly in another thread, that Republicans were filthy rich, and were looking out only for the rich.

Would you mind posting that here? I don't recall that I've ever said all Republicans were "filthy rich" or even moderately rich. I have asked posters "are you sure you have enough money to vote Republican?". That's not the same thing.

I have known plenty of Republicans who weren't "rich", and some Democrats who were. However, traditionally, and in general, the GOP has historically been known, by the legislation it has promoted and enacted, to favor big business and the wealthy. The Democratic party has traditionally, historically been known as the party of the working class and the disenfranchised.

There are lots of exceptions to these broad generalizations, of course. It was Democratic President Bill Clinton who accomplished welfare reform, for example.

Man I've had some of my posts shot down. I love it though! It makes me know for sure that someone has given me the courtesy of reading something I've written. And if I've been thought-provoking, so much the better. If someone takes the time to research something in order to shut me down, I know I'm in the middle of a real debate.

I'm participating to learn something here. I learn much more from someone citing sources and ranting a little in their opinions than I do from someone agreeing with me. (Although I do love that feeling.)

P.S. It doesn't do a bit of good for someone to put words in my mouth that I didn't say.

I am the one that talked about the difficulty of getting a teaching degree. And I was referring to ME, my experience, many, many years ago. Unless it is still one of the easiest degrees to get, why should that get anyone upset? It gave you a perfect opening to address that issue and clarify how difficult it is to get a degree, certification and a master's degree or hours of work toward a master's.

I am one of the people who is really upset that teachers do not get the kind of respect and pay they deserve. What we need to do is figure out why this is so, and go about fixing it. It is definitely no longer a "woman's job". Neither is nursing or being a flight attendant. Everybody knows about those two professions, how about teaching?

Carlene, I am afraid I am unable to post the quote about Republicans and the filthy rich because in the Gov. Perry thread, there is an entire day of posts that are missing. There is a gap in the thread from Oct 31 to today, so everything we were posting on Nov. 1 is gone.

The basic idea was that if Republicans had their way, there would be only two classes left: the rich and those who served them.

Anyway, let's just say that my memory is incorrect and this is not what you said. Still, if there were not people who looked on issues differently, there would not be two political parties after all, wouldn't you agree? It may surprise you, but I voted strictly Democrat up until 5 years ago. That's the beauty of it. People can change their minds, think differently, see things a new way. That's what happened to me.

BJean, yes, you wrote the post about teaching degrees that were easy to get when you were in school. I didn't choose to defend that one way or the other, because nowdays, it has been decided that teachers do not need to have a degree in education. Any ol' degree will be fine, and they can seek "alternative certification." Time will tell if this is an actual benefit to public education. Those of us who have taught for a long time are not sure about this.

I think a post I wrote was lost, too, where I pointed out that if lots of money were suddenly handed to public education, I do not believe it would find its way into the pocketbooks of teachers, or even into most classrooms. I asked people who were really concerned about education to check into their local districts. I will give you a hint: local superintendents in this area make around $300,000/year. PLUS other incentives such as house allowances, car allowances, travel allowances, investment packages, etc.

If I am unable to post again this weekend, aside from probably being relieved, please understand that my home computer is on the fritz and may not be working.

Again, even though there are disagreements, I do applaud everyone's interest in the political process.